Bike Stores Endangerd Because of Super Chain Stores?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 7th 04, 07:56 PM
James Lynx

Default Bike Stores Endangerd Because of Super Chain Stores?

I am going to start riding again and haven't seriously ridden any
bikes in 20 years when I used to ride my BMX every where. I have been
reading on this newsgroup that people say not to buy from Costco and
other mega stores because the quality of the bikes aren't good, there
is no bike maintence done at these places, and also these stores sell
bikes so low they are a threat to bike store survival.

Are these mega stores really a threat to bike stores? I ask because
so many people here at this newsgroup stay away from chain store
bikes. It seems as if people are still buying from bike shops. Sure
Costco and Toys R Us attracks the casual biker but the bike stores
still appeal to the more serious biker and even to some casual bikers.
Do you really think Costco threatens bike stores survivals? Maybe
the mega stores cut into some of their profits but do they really that
much? I might buy a bike and if I get one I would like to buy it
possibly at Tony's Bike Shop in East LA. I bought my BMX Team
Mongoose there in 1980 when I was 12 and this guy is still open for
business and has good bikes.

Also for the causal biker who doesn't bike that often or that
intensely are the Costco bikes really that bad? I myself want to buy
a bike from a real bike store and also there is a special place in my
heart for Tony's Schwinn (he no longer carries Schwinn but carries the
name) since as noted above my BMX was purchased there in 1980. The
old man was a nice guy and he's even older but still there. I'd like
to give him my business if there is a bike there that fits my needs.

James