Self-designed Mini-Giraffe unicycle

Old September 5th 05, 09:45 PM
UNIquelyCanadian

Default Self-designed Mini-Giraffe unicycle

Here’s a photo of my home converted bicycle/unicycle. My design requires
one weld to convert a regular bike into a giraffe unicycle. The hub of
the wheel is locked-out with a bead of weld.

It has a 12" wheel and 3.5 inch cranks. The gearing makes it ride like a
18" wheel (if there is such a thing).

The frame is a complete kid's frame with an adult front fork bolted (two
bolts) on so the wheel is centered under the cranks. Again the only
unicycle specific part is the seat.

I've only ridden it for about half a mile. So far the design works. It
We are not expert welders so the weld might not hold very long however
I'll keep riding it until the weld locking the rear sprocket out lets
go... I learned how to UPD well on the last project. (the joys of
testing).

I hope this and my 'previous project' (http://tinyurl.com/77kyn)
inspires other people to try similar conversions.

More photo's available upon request if anyone is interested in trying to
build one.

--
UNIquelyCanadian - 157 cm sidehop ;-)

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive
idiots.
UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

Old September 5th 05, 09:49 PM
UNIquelyCanadian

Old September 6th 05, 03:13 PM
UNIquelyCanadian

Any thoughts or comments?

Closeup photo of the design:

| Attachment filename: hpim5628a.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/357591|

Old September 6th 05, 04:18 PM
unigamer

That looks really good. I might try a design like that.

--
unigamer - http://www.nbog.co.uk

'Unigamer's Site' (http://nbog.co.uk)

'Unigamer's Album' (http://nbog.co.uk/album/index.php)
unigamer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6673

Old September 6th 05, 04:34 PM
xeaza

Sweet, how did you get the idea?

--
xeaza - Unicycling off an airplane
xeaza's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10500

Old February 24th 06, 10:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

oh!
that's awesome!

Ed

--
edsbelly

keep it wheel
edboy
edsbelly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11164

Old February 24th 06, 10:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

great idea, and practically can be done for free.
i like it

--
muzzle

sig.
muzzle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11458

Old February 24th 06, 10:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

im so going to do that with my dad (yay hes learning)

--
dan de man

probably the only maori unicyclist on this forum
dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

Old February 24th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I wouldn't try muni-ing on it, but it's a fun design. Does the center
of gravity feel strange on it? It would make a great prop for a
parade, especially if you keep the colors the way they are.

And if you added a hinge on the crown, it would be extremely
portable...

--
paco

Every time I see this thread I wonder what happened to Paco's back.
-John Childs

768
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Old February 24th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

paco wrote:
I wouldn't try muni-ing on it, but it's a fun design. Does the center
of gravity feel strange on it? It would make a great prop for a
parade, especially if you keep the colors the way they are.

And if you added a hinge on the crown, it would be extremely
portable...

It rode normally, it was odd with the very short cranks.

It should be said that the bearing cage was destroyed after only a few
miles of riding, a little kids bike rear wheel isn't made for a 170lb
rider. It was a cheap bike to begin with; a better quality bike should
last longer. Also, I'm not sure I reassembled the hub correctly either
so that probably didn't help the bearings.

I'd recommend the project to someone with mechanical know-how and a
spare kid’s bike. You can buy a second-hand little bike for something
like $2, the 26" front fork can be off any regular bike.

--
UNIquelyCanadian

~Cameron
Macro Photography: _www.camerondonaldson.com__

"Laboratory tests prove that nobody in the world smokes. Only the
cigarette smokes. The person is just the sucker. - Dr. Hovind
UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524