Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

Old November 24th 03, 07:15 PM
psycholist

Default Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

I am, too.

"psycholist"

"JJuggle" m wrote in
message clist.com...

I myself am at this moment awaiting a UPS delivery from Unicycle.com.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

*UPS and The UPS Store Stand Ready for Holiday Shipping.*

1,245 words
Pressi.com
English
(c) Copyright 2003 by www.pressi.com

More Than 300 Million Packages Expected During Peak Season ATLANTA, Nov.
18, 2003 - For the second straight year, the calendar has thrown UPS
(NYSE: UPS) and a bevy of holiday shoppers and shippers a short holiday
season. But with more players on the team, including more than 3,100
newly branded The UPS Store retail locations, UPS is ready to deliver
more than 300 million packages during the holidays. Thanksgiving falls
on Nov. 27 this year, leaving just 18 delivery days during that peak"
period between Thanksgiving and Christmas. While that's one day more
than 2002, it still means holiday shippers can't delay too long with
their packages. And it also means UPS is taking steps to highlight
various options that make the shipping process faster, easier and more
efficient. Most customers who used to drive across town to pack and ship
their gifts can find UPS right around the corner at The UPS Store in
their neighborhood," said Rocky Romanella, vice president, UPS Retail
Services.

The 3,100 U.S. locations of The UPS Store not only provide customers
holiday convenience, but also lower UPS shipping prices." UPS is no
stranger to the retail sector. UPS synchronizes the movement of goods to
store shelves and homes for major retailers, catalogers and e-tailers
such as Best Buy, Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Lands' End and
Amazon.com. Additionally, small businesses like *'Unicycle.com'
(http://www.unicycle.com)*, which nets 40 percent of its annual sales
during November and December, count on UPS to conquer the holiday crunch
just as large retailers do. UPS has been critical to our success since I
first began selling unicycles from my basement three years ago," said
John Drummond, the founder of Unicyle.com. UPS's technology is as vital
to helping us fulfill the surge of orders as the drivers are to
delivering them. In fact, it has enabled us to recently start another
online business called *'Banjo.com' (http://www.banjo.com)*."...

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

..and when she passes she smiles, but she doesn't see.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old November 25th 03, 09:26 AM
Klaas Bil

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:30:13 -0600, JJuggle
m wrote:

Klaas Bil wrote:
*On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:06:55 -0600, JJuggle
m wrote:

So many jerks, so little time.

Gosh, that was hidden!
*

Yes, and in plain view.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

I'm not sure you understood my comment, nor am I sure I understood
yours. I meant to say that the string 'unicycl' was hidden somewhere
in that long text.

I usually read via the newgroup as you will know. But just yesterday I
saw your latest contribution in this thread on the forum, and I
noticed the search word appears in bold font. I never knew about that
formatting on the forum, but it certainly detracts from the
hiddenness.

So now I would say, paraphrasing both of our comments: "Gosh, that was
hidden in plain ASCII view!"

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"My butt has a crack in it , but I can still ride. - spyder"

Old December 2nd 03, 02:05 PM
JJuggle

TRICKY RIDE FOR CHILDREN IN NEED

the staff of the North Yorkshire Advertiser
209 words
Newsquest Media Group Newspapers
English
© Copyright 2003 Newsquest Digital Media.

The North East

Unicyclists Jason Ayre, left, 12, and Alex McAulay, 13, of Richmond

TWO school friends have put their circus skills to good use by going on
a sponsored unicycle ride.

Alex McAulay, 13, of Skeeby, near Richmond, and Jason Ayre, 12, of
Richmond raised £170 for Children in Need when they unicycled 4.4 miles
from the town's Holly Hill Inn to the village of Downholme on Saturday,
November 22.

They learnt to unicycle at Richmond School's circus club and can also
juggle and play unicycle hockey.

Alex said: "It was hard work and quite tiring but it was worth it. We
will probably do it again next year, but go there and back instead of
just one way.

"The circus club is really good fun and we played unicycle hockey
against the British champions last month. We even beat them in a couple
of games."

The pair aimed to raise even more money for Children in Need by
organising a stall at Richmond School Fair last Thursday night and
making their school friends guess how long the sponsored ride took them
to complete.

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

I have to be careful not to preach
I can't pretend that I can teach,
And yet I've lived your future out
By pounding stages like a clown.

JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old December 2nd 03, 02:12 PM
JJuggle

WHERE THERE'S A WHEEL...

By JOHN MYERS.
657 words
Evening Standard
9
English
(c) 2003 The Evening Standard, INL

IT'S arguable that freestyle BMX came out of the circus ring and on to
the streets and tracks. Can the unicycle do the same thing?

Can it be the next weird thing after the skateboard, rollerblades and
(just landing) Heelys? Will they be just as popular with the ACC?

Steve Pavarno of Palmerston North, and a couple of fellow exponents from
Auckland, are planning to make it work. They're on the way to setting up
their business - unicycle.co.nz, the Kiwi end of United States-based
unicycle.com - and Steve has been through a 14-part Biz training course
with small business adviser Sandra Anderson.

The incentive?

"It's free, government-funded business training - and I needed it."

And he says he got a lot of valuable knowledge out of it, both from the
courses and from rubbing off with people setting out on their own
business ventures.

"It's a really impressive set-up - we usually had 20 or 25 at the
sessions, and soon there were a lot of familiar faces and good
cameraderie."

Steve - it's a little hard to think of a guy who uses a unicycle like
most people use shoes as "Mr Pavarno", even if Wellington has no
problems with high-profile unicycling house surgeon Dr Ken Looi - has a
Massey degree in computer science. He also has a business background in
his own website development operation. That experience has gone into
building unicycle.co.nz as an internet-based retail, information and
promotional business, with its trading base in Palmerston North.

The administration structure and company governance, with fellow
directors Peter Bier and Tony Melton in Auckland, is also web based.

Steve is "general manager" primarily because his fellow directors and
unicyclists have too much on their individual plates. Mr Bier is a
biotechnologist working on a project to teach a computer to replicate
the human larynx (voice box). Mr Melton is an honours graduate in
chemistry.

All three are nuts about unicycles, and took the step of forming the
company because of the costs and time delays they and like-minded
one-wheelers faced to get quality gear in from the United States.

"I suppose there's always the chance we'll wind up being our own best
customers," he says.

But so far, with a half-tonne of unicycles having arrived this month,
it's looking good.

Steve can often be seen unicycling around the city, or doing longer
trips around the region in preparation for a coming Taupo distance
event.

"I did Bunnythorpe and back last weekend. Traffic doesn't know what to
do with a unicycle."

Unicycles, says Steve, are not just playground toys - though that's as a
good a place as any to start. The various "styles" extend from commuter
to freestyle (stunts), trail riding, trials (obstacles) and extreme
mountain (muni) unicycle.

While there have been small groups around the country, on and off, he
believes the unicycle has suffered from lack of a national body - and
that's something the trio are working to correct. The proposed NZ
Unicycle Federation is advancing as a web-based project advancing at
unicycle.org.nz.

He's working with schools, presenting the unicycle as an achievable,
impressive skill and a co-ordination developer.

"It's a great self-esteem booster - `Wow! I can do it!' - for students
who might not be great academic achievers, and its a strength-and
fitness-builder.

"A lot of people who can handle a BMX can be riding a unicycle, the
basics, in about 20 minutes," Steve says.

He's just landed a 10-unicycle order from a school. But he's expecting
the main business will come from the growing extreme sport unicycle
community.

A regular fun and promotional event is Saturday morning beginner lessons
and unicycle hockey at the Memorial Park skating rink, picking up a
growing following.

Old December 2nd 03, 11:33 PM
hole-in-my-shoe

JJuggle wrote:
*
The naked truth: Strickland once joked that as the lawyer for the
student body at the University of Virginia, she probably represented
more streakers than any other attorney in the United States. She
suspects she can still claim that. She remembers one client who was
caught after riding a unicycle* - naked.

Yet another reason why you shouldn't buy a used unicycle on Ebay - you
don't know where it's been.

--
hole-in-my-shoe - getting bigger
hole-in-my-shoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3661

Old December 3rd 03, 09:01 AM
Klaas Bil

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:12:07 -0600, JJuggle
m wrote:

"A lot of people who can handle a BMX can be riding a unicycle, the
basics, in about 20 minutes," Steve says.

Sales talk, that.
I guess many learners are in for a deception.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Friends don't let friends drop to flat - Kris Holm, discussing large drops to flat ground."

Old December 9th 03, 04:18 PM
JJuggle

IT'S ONE WHEEL FOR MATT.

164 words
North Devon Journal
49
English
(c) 2003 North Devon Journal

Is one wheel better than two? Matt Lemon, 29, from Braunton thinks so.
Instead of a bike he pedals to work on a unicycle.

He admits to falling off "only occasionally". Adding: "You have to start
from scratch, its just like riding a bike. Practice makes perfect."
After parking his car on the outskirts of Barnstaple, it only takes him
about four minutes to get to work at Our Price. Otherwise it would take
him 10 minutes to walk.

Matt loves the attention and even rides the unicycle to pick up his
Indian takeaway in Braunton.

Stilt-walking and fire-juggling are also part of his repertoire. His
juggling has taken him to exotic locations like Ibiza and Malta and he
is a regular juggler at Glastonbury music festival.

Matt said: "I have actually played unicycle hockey before which was
great, so if there's anyone out there that's interested I'd love to know
about them."

Old December 11th 03, 05:17 PM
unibabyguy

Article on elementary school unicycle club in Central Ohio:

'Stunt kids keep rolling along' (http://tinyurl.com/yrxm)

--
unibabyguy - Hunter-riding Municyclist
unibabyguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/683

Old December 12th 03, 06:58 AM
Klaas Bil

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:17:09 -0600, unibabyguy
om wrote:

Article on elementary school unicycle club in Central Ohio:
'Stunt kids keep rolling along' (http://tinyurl.com/yrxm)

Maybe this is a good opportunity to point out that I like it that
JJuggle quotes the full text in his posts. For one thing, the texts
are 'safe' even though the original source may delete it, put it
behind a password, change the url, whatever. In addition, as an
offline (newsgroup) reader I would otherwise have to reconnect to the
net, for which I am frequently too lazy (and it costs more money).

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Friends don't let friends drop to flat - Kris Holm, discussing large drops to flat ground."

Old December 12th 03, 06:35 PM
unibabyguy

Good point, but the original article is copyrighted.