In praise of Brooks saddles

Old December 10th 19, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default In praise of Brooks saddles

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 4:21:42 PM UTC, Andre Jute wrote:
On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 6:01:48 AM UTC, pH wrote:
On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 4:35:08 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
In another thread some people are bashing Brooks saddles.

This is the space for them to claim they weren't bashing Brooks saddles.

I can't join them. Though it is true that for a long time I drank their koolaid and assumed a Brooks saddle is one of those tools, like drop bars, that cyclists choose as agents of self-mortification, when I did buy a Brooks (B73, thick leather hammock, triple stiff helical springs, double rail mounting springs, fifty quid on sale at SJS, makers of the much-admired Thorn bikes -- Sheldon had one), I found it so comfortable that now, ten years later, you will have to pry it from my cold dead bum. I don't remember breaking it in either. It is now, allowing for a few scrapes and scuffs, exactly the same shape as it was 10K+ back.

The way I ride on the downhills a firm, positively locating saddle is imperative. There's no point to expensively developing a fast, secure bike and then buying from a bike-fashion boutique some narrow saddle that you need to clench onto. I call those "jaillhouse saddles" for the obvious reason.

Old December 11th 19, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 09 Dec 2019 23:38:03 -0800, wrote:

I have eleven bikes. Too many bikes. Six of them have Brooks saddles.
Two Swift titanium rail saddles. Two Team Professional with the hand
hammered flared rivets. One Professional with smaller round machined
rivets. One B17. All are super comfortable. One of the Team
Professional bikes was used on PBP. As well as the preceding two years
and ten thousand miles of training. My first saddle transferred between
a couple bikes was an Ideale with aluminum rails and clamp that fit onto
a straight post. It eventually broke down and was retired and laid to
rest.

We are probably odd in having more saddles(12) than bicycles(4).

Our preferred brand of saddles is Bell, an Australian company from old
and there are two antique/classical models (spring ride and quad rails),
and four similar to the Brooks B17.

When is comes to Brooks, we are almost exclusively B17(?) and we have/had
four of them. Unfortunately, over the years, we have had three twin rail
versions of the Brooks B17(?) break down and the leather of the others,
despite regular treatment tend to stretch. Never had that in the Bells.

The number is rounded off by a couple of plastic fantastics one being
junk and the other SWMBOD's choice which serves as platforms for a gel
seat cover for her.
Old December 11th 19, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 7:47:47 PM UTC-5, news18 wrote:

Our preferred brand of saddles is Bell, an Australian company from old
and there are two antique/classical models (spring ride and quad rails),
and four similar to the Brooks B17.

When is comes to Brooks, we are almost exclusively B17(?) and we have/had
four of them. Unfortunately, over the years, we have had three twin rail
versions of the Brooks B17(?) break down and the leather of the others,
despite regular treatment tend to stretch. Never had that in the Bells.

The number is rounded off by a couple of plastic fantastics one being
junk and the other SWMBOD's choice which serves as platforms for a gel
seat cover for her.

Long ago, we had a friend of ours who expressed interest in bicycling, but said
she could not find any saddle that was comfortable. We tried giving her a gel
seat cover. She claimed it made the pain much worse.

It's probably an indication that we're all different down there. But it might
have (also?) been an indication that she really wasn't that interested in riding.

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 11th 19, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 18:53:09 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

Perhaps a combination of the two. Most cyclists that I know have a
number of seats that they don't use as they "don't fit".
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 11th 19, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes, and I got one of my most comfortable seats from a friend. It came
with his high end tandem, but he couldn't stand it.

I talked to our bike club's program chairman and suggested a Seat Swap
Day might be a valuable program at a meeting. Sadly, he showed no interest.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 12th 19, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 4:57:54 PM UTC, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I talked to our bike club's program chairman and suggested a Seat Swap
Day might be a valuable program at a meeting. Sadly, he showed no interest.

Sounds like a good idea. But, because it came from you, Franki-boy, the chairman was always going to refuse you. You shoulda sent someon with people skills to make the suggestion and have it accepted and executed.

Andre Jute
Seersucker Coronel
Old December 12th 19, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

There is a really large "swap meet" in Bangkok on the first weekend of
each month and "saddles" new and used are a very popular item there.
See: https://bicyclethailand.com/bangkoks...icycle-market/

Interestingly it is held in the parking lot of the Telephone
Organization of Thailand's Main office building. Apparently some of
their employees are Bike Nuts. Anyone Can bring their "stuff" pay a
small fee - I think something like $10 or $15) and you get a section
to display your "stuff".

They used to have "swap meets" like this in the U.S. when I lived
there. Usually at Drive-in Theaters. Bring your "stuff" rent a space
and do business in cash. I remember there was a young couple, had a
Volkswagen bus, that made and sold silk screened tee shirts. I got to
talking with them and this was their "business" making tee shirts and
selling them for cash at swap meets. I wanted to ask them what they
listed as their income on their tax statement, but being the polite
gentleman that I am, refrained from doing so :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 12th 19, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Which kept those $5 shirts from becoming $10 shirts.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 12th 19, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Probably :-)

I always wonder what happens to people like that. I would guess that
it is really a lot of work to be continually silk screening tee
shirts, driving around the state to go to swap meets, sleeping in the
car to save money, eating at McDonalds. Do they "grow up" and get a
regular job? Or are they now stubbing around with a cane selling tee
shirts door to door?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 12th 19, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 10:03:24 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
[...]

My wife used to like going to arts and crafts shows. I didn't like it much,
so I compromised by promising to go to one per year. Any others she could
attend with friends.

Anyway, at one of them a long time ago I talked to a guy selling jewelry he
made. As I recall, he said he worked a few months in the winter making his
goods, then attended the craft fairs for a few more months. The rest of the
year was his vacation time.

Of course, I don't know what happened to the guy in later years. Do you get a
decent retirement from a career like that?

- Frank Krygowski

Brooks Saddles on TV nobody UK 0 February 8th 08 02:36 PM
What does the S mean (Brooks saddles) Jim D UK 15 November 18th 06 05:48 PM
FS: Brooks Pro saddles [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 23rd 05 06:12 PM
Brooks saddles Bryan UK 5 August 5th 04 09:16 PM
FS: Brooks saddles Michael Szpir Marketplace 3 October 11th 03 10:03 PM