Cyclist shot and wounded in San Jose area.

Old December 13th 19, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Cyclist shot and wounded in San Jose area.

Ted Heise writes:

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 07:42:50 +0700,
John B wrote:
On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 16:10:50 -0800 (PST), Chalo
wrote:
John B. wrote:

By Gorry! You are correct! If we could just get rid of all
the motor vehicles the bicycles would be safe.

That's how ethics work. If you unilaterally inflict a harm or
impose a burden in others, it's your sole responsibility to
mitigate it, not theirs.

Too bad motorists are inherently unethical creatures.

That seems rather one sided. After all most, if not all, states
have laws about slow vehicles saying essentially that they must
not impede other vehicles. Minnesota, for example, requires all
vehicles which are operated at speeds 30 mph or less to display
a "triangular slow-moving vehicle emblem". New York defines it
as 25 mph, or slower; Indiana says 25 mph, or slower. I read
that "According to Bicycling, the average recreational road
biker moves at 17 to 18 miles per hour over flat terrain". --
cheers,

I've relished those few times I've been able to pass a tractor!

I fondly recall the single time I was able to overtake a street sweeper
on a long uphill.
Old December 14th 19, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

wrote:

John B. wrote:

By Gorry! You are correct! If we could just get rid of all the motor
vehicles the bicycles would be safe.

That's how ethics work. If you unilaterally inflict a harm or impose a burden in others, it's your sole responsibility to mitigate it, not theirs.

Too bad motorists are inherently unethical creatures.

That seems rather one sided.
After all most, if not all, states have laws about slow vehicles
saying essentially that they must not impede other vehicles.
Minnesota, for example, requires all vehicles which are operated at
speeds 30 mph or less to display a "triangular slow-moving vehicle
emblem". New York defines it as 25 mph, or slower; Indiana says 25
mph, or slower. I read that "According to Bicycling, the average
recreational road biker moves at 17 to 18 miles per hour over flat
terrain".

I recall driving in Minnesota once. There were three freeway lanes. The
left and middle lane were packed solid but the right lane was flowing
freely. I didn't understand. There was no sign that the right lane was
ending or that it was an exit only.

I called my nephew whose house I was driving to. He said that the right
lane ended several miles ahead and that Minnesota drivers were so polite
that they didn't want to appear to be cheating by waiting until the lane
ended to merge left.

This level of politeness was frustrating to the MnDOT (Minnesota
Department of Transportation) because not using all the lanes created
more congestion. Eventually MnDOT put up signs with "Use All Lanes" to
encourage motorists to not try to be overly polite.

The original return route I used to come back from San Juan Batista was on highway 101 before it became "mostly" a freeway. You wouldn't dare do that now. Also to get to Sausalito you would ride north on Highway 1 and there was a turn where you would drop VERY sharply down the hill into Sausalito. All of that is completely gone but I have a pen and ink drawn by Ted Koppel from what I expect is that road. It descended at perhaps a 10% grad and made a 160 degree turn around a V-shaped house and proceeded like that down into Sausalito. To return I think we would get on highway 1 at Mill Valley and ride up the milder grade from there. Or perhaps we would take the old Car Ferry back to west Oakland.