The perennial question: Good all around MTB tire ?

Old January 16th 04, 03:49 PM
Jean

Default The perennial question: Good all around MTB tire ?

I need to get my MTB in shape for travelling this year. I need some new 26"
tires that are good on a variety of surfaces - mostly street, lots of
unpaved shoulder, some gravel roads, some dirt trails.

In decreasing order of importance, my priorities are (1) pretty
"bulletproof, (2) comfortable (optimum size around 1.5", since I am
light-weight I can run this size tire at fairly moderate PSI's to get the
cushiness I need), (3) predictable street handling when cornering, (4) low
weight, and (5) reasonable rolling resistance.

In the past I've used Specialized CrossRoads II 26x1.5 (very reliable,
pretty comfy but a tad "buzzy" on pavement) and Avocet Cross 26x1.5" (the
original profile version, ride seems harsh, roll like slugs, spray every
bit of road water directly at you).

I've been looking at the GEAX StreetRunner 26x1.6" tires and the Bontrager
Select Invert 26x1.5" tires. Does anyone have any experience with these two
tires?

Thanks,

Jean

Old January 16th 04, 04:15 PM
Dan Daniel

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:49:46 -0500, "Jean" wrote:

[...]

Also look at the Continental Travel Contact. Thick, hard tread, lots
of protection. In almost a year riding city streets, I had my first
flat on these yesterday from a piece of metal that would have cut open
most other tires, I believe. I have 1000 miles or so and the center
ridge is still on both tires.

PSI from 35-40 to 90. Actually better on the comfort side because it
is a 1.75, not 1.5. The knobs on the sides aren't an issue in street
cornering. I don't think that I have ever leaned over enough to be on
them, and if I have they haven't created any of that knobby vibration.
The center is smooth- no inverts, nothing but solid hard rubber.

Low weight? NO way- 700 grams, I think. This worried me, but I have to
admit that they do roll nice and the weight is worth it given every
other benefit.

The knobs and 1.75 width do help on dirt. I won't go bombing serious
mud with these, but I do go through dirt, paths, etc. and they get me
through. I can drop the pressure from street of 60 -70 PSI down to 40
PSI for long off-road stuff and it feels pretty close to your standard
'semi-slick' design.

Nice tires. $30 each? Worth it.

Old January 16th 04, 05:06 PM
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:49:46 -0500, "Jean" wrote:
I've been looking at the GEAX StreetRunner 26x1.6" tires and the Bontrager
Select Invert 26x1.5" tires. Does anyone have any experience with these two
tires?

I have "Invert 2" tires that I've been very happy with. Before I had
a road bike, they provided a beautiful on pavement ride for my MTB
while leaving sufficient off-road ability for light XC mountain
biking, and were perfect for gravel roads and dirt trails. They were
less satisfactory for heavy XC riding, especially up steep, loose
hills.

Mine are 26x2.0 and marked 40-80psi. I am 210 pounds. I always
pumped them up to and above 80. I believe that their successor, the
"Select Invert 2", is available in 26x1.5.

Handling was predictable and ride smooth.

Thanks,

Jean

--
Rick Onanian
Old January 16th 04, 05:11 PM
Kerry

"Jean" wrote in message
[...]

Jean:

I have had great luck with the IRC Metro Kevlar. These are 1.5" slicks with
an inverted tread. I have never had a flat on these yet. My commuter is a
converted Fuji Suncrest MTB. I don't take it much on hardpack or earthen
trails, so can't comment on handling there.

Kerry

Old January 16th 04, 06:04 PM
Jean

"Dan Daniel" wrote in message
| On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:49:46 -0500, "Jean" wrote:
|
| I need to get my MTB in shape for travelling this year. I need some new
26"
| tires that are good on a variety of surfaces - mostly street, lots of
| unpaved shoulder, some gravel roads, some dirt trails.

...snip

| Thanks,
|
| Jean
|
| Also look at the Continental Travel Contact. Thick, hard tread, lots
| of protection. In almost a year riding city streets, I had my first
| flat on these yesterday from a piece of metal that would have cut open
| most other tires, I believe. I have 1000 miles or so and the center
| ridge is still on both tires.
|
| PSI from 35-40 to 90. Actually better on the comfort side because it
| is a 1.75, not 1.5. The knobs on the sides aren't an issue in street
| cornering. I don't think that I have ever leaned over enough to be on
| them, and if I have they haven't created any of that knobby vibration.
| The center is smooth- no inverts, nothing but solid hard rubber.
|
| Low weight? NO way- 700 grams, I think. This worried me, but I have to
| admit that they do roll nice and the weight is worth it given every
| other benefit.
|
| The knobs and 1.75 width do help on dirt. I won't go bombing serious
| mud with these, but I do go through dirt, paths, etc. and they get me
| through. I can drop the pressure from street of 60 -70 PSI down to 40
| PSI for long off-road stuff and it feels pretty close to your standard
| 'semi-slick' design.
|
| Nice tires. $30 each? Worth it.

I saw those on Conti's web site and I really liked the tread design. The
problem, as you mention, is the weight. I'm a light-weight (about 125 lbs),
have bad knees, and am well into my "golden years" (who ever came up with
that phrase ought to be hung as a lying b***). As a result, I really feel
the weight of tires when I'm trying to accelerate. Too bad the tires are so
heavy...

Jean

Old January 16th 04, 06:13 PM
Jean

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message
| On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:49:46 -0500, "Jean" wrote:
| I've been looking at the GEAX StreetRunner 26x1.6" tires and the
Bontrager
| Select Invert 26x1.5" tires. Does anyone have any experience with these
two
| tires?
|
| I have "Invert 2" tires that I've been very happy with. Before I had
| a road bike, they provided a beautiful on pavement ride for my MTB
| while leaving sufficient off-road ability for light XC mountain
| biking, and were perfect for gravel roads and dirt trails. They were
| less satisfactory for heavy XC riding, especially up steep, loose
| hills.
|
| Mine are 26x2.0 and marked 40-80psi. I am 210 pounds. I always
| pumped them up to and above 80. I believe that their successor, the
| "Select Invert 2", is available in 26x1.5.
|
| Handling was predictable and ride smooth.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Jean
| --
| Rick Onanian

Ths Invert's looked good to me. Do the treads tend to clog up with little
pebbles and crud?

Jean

Old January 16th 04, 07:05 PM
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:13:07 -0500, "Jean" wrote:
Ths Invert's looked good to me. Do the treads tend to clog up with little
pebbles and crud?

IME, no, but mine are slightly different than what's available now.

Jean

--
Rick Onanian
Old January 17th 04, 06:03 AM
Dan Daniel

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:04:39 -0500, "Jean" wrote:

I saw those on Conti's web site and I really liked the tread design. The
problem, as you mention, is the weight. I'm a light-weight (about 125 lbs),
have bad knees, and am well into my "golden years" (who ever came up with
that phrase ought to be hung as a lying b***). As a result, I really feel
the weight of tires when I'm trying to accelerate. Too bad the tires are so
heavy...

Jean

This is getting into that 'I can't really explain' area, but I had a
bike with some heavy tires that drove me crazy, just for the reasons
you mention- they were hard, heavy, I could feel them fighting every
attempt to accelerate, etc.

The Conti Travel Contacts aren't like that. They roll very well. I
have another bike of the same style (no-suspension MTB) that has had
tires wearing 350 and 500 grams on it, and I don't feel a huge
difference in acceleration, etc.

Still, if they could lose 200 grams, I'd probably never use another 26
inch tire.

One thing that I learned was to be ready to change tire pressures for
different conditions. Dropping from 65 to 45 PSI when going on loose
paths and back up when I hit the road again is almost as good as
carrying two different tires.