Newbie question about tubeless tires

Old August 23rd 03, 07:13 PM
Kevin Doulet

Default Newbie question about tubeless tires

As a newbie, I'm not thinking about buying any, just wanted to read pro's
and con's from anyone that's rode on them. Just trying to learn And some
basic info, like do you need special rims, etc? Any comments welcome.
Thanks

Old August 23rd 03, 09:02 PM
John Harlow

As a newbie, I'm not thinking about buying any, just wanted to read pro's
and con's from anyone that's rode on them. Just trying to learn And

some
basic info, like do you need special rims, etc? Any comments welcome.

As anyone with real experience with them will attest: they are great. They
virtually eliminate tire problems - that is, if you get the Real Thing.
They have done for mountain bikes what they did for the automobile.

Yes, you do need special rims and tires. They are becoming much more
commonplace and as a consequence the prices are coming down as well.

There are rigs which attempt to adapt standard tube tires to tubeless -
don't waste your time with them. As in most things in life, you get what
you pay for.

Old August 23rd 03, 10:50 PM
jack

"Kevin Doulet" wrote in message
As a newbie, I'm not thinking about buying any, just wanted to read pro's
and con's from anyone that's rode on them. Just trying to learn And

some
basic info, like do you need special rims, etc? Any comments welcome.
Thanks

Go to the Save Weight section of www. mtbr.com. They have an ongoing
discussion of what works and doesn't work. Best tires, rims, etc.

Tubeless and Notubes is not for everyone. If you have no problems with
regular tubes, then there is no reason to switch. If you have regular
flatting issues, then it's worth a look.

The Notubes solution seems to be a hit or miss issue. Some people swear by
them, some people hate it.

Regular Tubeless have weight issues and the extra care that must be taken
when mounting them.

Old August 24th 03, 05:45 AM
Super Slinky

Kevin Doulet said...

As a newbie, I'm not thinking about buying any, just wanted to read pro's
and con's from anyone that's rode on them. Just trying to learn And some
basic info, like do you need special rims, etc? Any comments welcome.
Thanks

Yes you need special rims to go with the special tires, but regular
tires can be used on tubeless rims and tubeless tires can be used with
regular rims. There is a substantial weight penalty of about 1/2 lb with
my setup if you believe published weight claims. Tubeless tires are much
thicker and stiffer than regular tires. The rims are heavier too,
probably because of the molded plastic rim strip that the tubeless
system relies on. Tires are very difficult to mount. Most people claim
that they lose air quickly, but I put 1 oz of tubeless Slime (available
at auto parts stores) when I mounted the tires and their air holding
ability is better than anything I have experienced before. I lose less
than 1 psi per day. You need LOTS of air going into the tire to seat the
bead so they will hold air. I took mine down to a gas station and used
one of those coin operated compressors for cars. Some people say they
can seat theirs with a floor pump. You could be in deep doo-doo if the
bead comes off the rim on the trail. Most tubeless users carry a tube
for such emergencies. Considering how little room there is to work with
and how difficult the tires are to get on and off the rim, I dread the
day that I have to try and get a tube in there.

What made me want to try tubeless is that they are supposed to have
lower rolling resistance. I can't say for sure if it is true, but the
tubeless do seem a little bouncier and livelier than what I have been
used to. Of course, if you have problems poking holes in inner tubes,
tubeless is a way to deal with it once and for all. On the con side, the
setup is more expensive. Not a whole lot, but some. Tubeless tire
selection is limited. Fortunately for me, my favorite tire comes in a
tubeless version. You just have to do your research and take your
chances. I don't think either system is going away anytime soon.
Old August 24th 03, 08:01 AM
Edwards

I have had mine for 2+ seasons and love em'!

I am currently running Continental 2.3 Vertical pro tubeless on the front
combined with a hutchison python 2.0 UST on the rear. These are mounted to
Mavic Crossroc UST disc specific rims. I have had found that a 2.3 on the
back wheel is too flexy and causing the tire fold over on itself
occasionally(hence the change to the 2.0).
You will find that the bike is way more sensitive and not only does the bike
seem to get much better traction- it just feels better.

The tires are more difficult to install(especially on the trail). However,
I have found that spraying the bead with simple green and water solution
helps alot. The tires do tend to lose air, so invest in a floor pump and
adjust your air pressure as needed.

Edwards

--
I want to know God's thoughts... all the rest are details.
--Albert Einstein

"Super Slinky" wrote in message
t...
Kevin Doulet said...

Old August 24th 03, 09:23 AM
Peter Tønnesen

"Super Slinky" skrev i en meddelelse
t...
Kevin Doulet said...

As a newbie, I'm not thinking about buying any, just wanted to read

pro's
and con's from anyone that's rode on them. Just trying to learn And

some
basic info, like do you need special rims, etc? Any comments welcome.
Thanks

Yes you need special rims to go with the special tires, but regular
tires can be used on tubeless rims and tubeless tires can be used with
regular rims.

So, your UST rim fits regular tires? Must be the best UST rims on the
market, think of the low weight regular tires you could fit on that rim???

Well, they might fit, but wont hold air for a split second.

Peter

Old August 24th 03, 03:37 PM
Sorni

"Peter Tønnesen" wrote in message
k...

"Super Slinky" skrev i en meddelelse
t...
Yes you need special rims to go with the special tires, but regular
tires can be used on tubeless rims and tubeless tires can be used with
regular rims.

So, your UST rim fits regular tires? Must be the best UST rims on the
market, think of the low weight regular tires you could fit on that rim???

Well, they might fit, but wont hold air for a split second.

Um, pretty sure he meant WITH TUBES.

Bill "running 'regular' Geax Sedonas on Crossmax XL's" S.

Old August 24th 03, 04:18 PM
Peter Tønnesen

Um, pretty sure he meant WITH TUBES.

Arhhhh, my bad, but why buy UST system and use it with tube and loose the
advantage, when you can build much lightere and just as good or better
wheelsets without UST?

Peter
Satisfied Crossmax XL 2003 user

Old August 25th 03, 02:45 PM
GigaNews

I have ridden with both types of tires and actually prefer Stan's system to
the UST versions of the tires. I do find the rim strips to be a pain on
non-UST rims, but on the UST rims I haven't had any complaints. In fact, the
UST tires have been almost as problematic as the regular ones and I find you
have to run Stan's stuff in them anyway.