seat out probs

Old July 16th 04, 12:21 AM
einrad_traum

Default seat out probs

hey there. im trying to learn to ride w/ my seat in front. but i cant!
ahh. i cant think of a good way to learn. i can ride easily standin up
and get the seat out easy but the secound i do i smack into the
pavement. i have tried doing it while holding onto a wall/rail. but i
really cant get the hang of it. i think i put to much pressure on the
pedals. even holding onto a wall or person i cant seem to go far even
holding the seat as tight as i can i just fall side to side when i
pedal. also where is the best place to hold the saddle?
thanks
-jess-

--
einrad_traum - Einräder sind toll

ET
-Einrad Traum-
(unicycle dream)
einrad_traum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6602

Old July 16th 04, 12:41 AM
asupercoolguy

I don't have any advice. But cheer up, I know exactly how you feel. I
finally stopped trying because I kept hurting myself.

Anybody have any advice?

--
asupercoolguy - Oh, cool! You can change this thing

Unicycles are cool.
asupercoolguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4169

Old July 16th 04, 12:43 AM
juggle508

I hold the seat real close to me usally againest my body. I do that when
I hop anyway.

--
juggle508 - Look Mom a Tricycle

My goal is for people to start to see unicycling as an extreme sport and
forget about the circus.
juggle508's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6701

Old July 16th 04, 02:41 AM
evil-nick

I just started riding seat out 2 days ago... I found using both hands
on the seat, elbows tucked in, I can *sometimes* go about 5 or 6 feet
before falling... I've actually found I can jump seat out better than I
can ride I think it just takes lotsa practice... like learnin to
ride the thing again

--
evil-nick - Living in Balance

Never kick a unicyclist in the groin... it will only make them grow
stronger...

evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

Old July 16th 04, 03:32 AM
nickvb123

Practise riding with nice smooth even pedal strokes. Start with the seat
against your body and then gradually move it further and further away
from your body. Then you can try letting go and seat dragging which is a
very cool trick. Its worth practising heaps of seat for this purpose.

--
nickvb123 - Freestyler

"He jumped off that with his one wheeled bike"
nickvb123's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5926

Old July 16th 04, 04:12 AM
Fuego

I too have just started, and can also jump better than I can ride. Part
of my difficulty is because my KH saddle is too wide, and since the uni
is set up for my dad (it's his) the seat is a little too high. Today, I
accomplished somewhat of a breakthrough, when Iwas actually able to ride
for a few pedal strokes. I was able to do this because I kept an
extremely hard grip on the saddle, using my elbows/forearms to keep it
straight. this seems to help a lot, and really encreased my control.

--
Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

"Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
balance."
Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

Old July 16th 04, 05:30 AM
sockmonster

I just learned to ride backwards with the seat out, I think I might be
able to help.

I hold the seat with my left hand, but that's just a personal
preference. Once I get the seat out, I lock my arm. Just as stiff as a
board. This way, the unicycle still has the same stability as it does
when you're sitting on it.

Then, which I think is your problem, einrad, keep equal pressure on both
pedals. As long as you do that, you have complete control over the
wheel.

Other than that, you just need to find the balance envelope. If you fall
forewards, try keeping your weight back more, or pedaling a little
faster. If you fall backwards, get your weight forewards, or focus on
keeping the wheel underneath you.

As for falling to the side, once you start to lose your balance, shift
your weight, and turn into it. Just keep your weight over the wheel.

--
sockmonster - One Wheeled Warrior

Funny how in this forum, no one thinks it's weird if someone says, "I
tacoed my giraffe..."
sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286

Old July 16th 04, 07:06 AM
iunicycle

einrad_traum wrote:
*hey there. im trying to learn to ride w/ my seat in front. but i
cant! ahh. i cant think of a good way to learn. *

Can you ride stomach on seat? If not, then you really should start at
that skill first, following the same sequence as below.

Next. Hold onto a post or a wall while sitting on your uni. Stand up and
pull the seat out. Keep the seat pressed against your legs for
stability. Try to ride off. Just standing there at first is a start,
so don't feel like you are not learning anything by just holding onto
the wall and getting a feeling for having the seat out. Ride off by
slowly leaning away from your support until you feel the wheel starting
to move, then pedal away. At first you may only get a half rev or one
rev if you are lucky.

Once you can ride, practice getting back onto the seat, which is easier
than getting the seat out while riding. Then practice riding and pulling
the seat out once you can go 20-30 yards seat out.

--
iunicycle - Old back, new cricks
iunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1869

Old July 16th 04, 07:23 AM
PopeSamXVI

Seat on stomach hurts my lower ribs and concave chest.

--
PopeSamXVI - Resident Hogwasher/Hornswaggler

Karol Jozef Wojtyla Forever!

I really am the president of my own fan club. www.samhunterfanclub.tk
PopeSamXVI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6661

Old July 16th 04, 10:07 AM
nickvb123

Seat on stomach

Lol. seat on stomach.

Anyways, i suggest don't bother learning stomach on seat because it
doesn't really help with seat out anyway. Plus it only has one use -
getting into hand wheel walk stomach on seat.