Drop Bear Stalks Australian Riders

Old February 5th 04, 02:50 AM
Oyster

Default Drop Bear Stalks Australian Riders

Taken from here-
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...635665765.html

"Two Aussie Mountain Bikers were saved from certain death this morning when
a Farmer fired shots at a stalking Drop Bear. The riders had been on a 3
day, cross country ride, in N.S.W's Goulburn River National Park, when the
female of the group first spotted the Drop Bear stalking them.

"It was the smell I noticed first. It was a horrid, decaying flesh smell.
When I turned around to see what was causing the smell I saw the Drop Bear
hide behind a tree. That was on the first day. It stayed with us ever since.
It was like it was taunting us. At one stage, it actually grabbed my husband
but then let him go! We were certain that we were going to die. Luckily we
came across the Farmer, who fired a couple of shots. It took off at a great
speed and we haven't seen it since." The couple did not wish to give their
name.

The farmer also wished to remain anonymous but said "You get a lot of the
bears around here. Tourists have to realise that it's wild country, filled
with wild, dangerous animals."

Old February 5th 04, 03:31 AM
Dave W

"Oyster" had this to say

[...]

Hey White, this bear seems to have the Stalking thing down pretty good,
perhaps you two could compare notes. Hopefully no one will fire a couple of
shots in your direction though. (ok, I was lying on the last part)

Old February 5th 04, 03:46 AM
Westie

Oyster wrote:
[...]

Is the Drop Bear common in Australia?
I'm curious because when I was backpacking up the East Coast of Oz six
years ago a couple of us went to one of the Koala Bear parks. The tour
guide explained about the meaning of the name "Koala" - that it was
aborigine for "One who drinks water". A couple of nights later as we
drunkenly wobbled back to the campsite under the dark gum trees I made up a
story about the dread "Drop Bear" (or Koala-wola ("the one who drinks blood)
of the Australia Outback just to wind the girls up. It would lurk in the
inky blackness high up in the gum trees and silently drop upon it's
unsuspecting victim from above. Tiny furry paws would grasp your shoulders
and neck just before tiny pointy teeth would slice into the jugular vein.
It was good humour for a week or two that we were together and we used the
p[hrase "Watch out for the Drop Bears" as a sort of in joke for a while.
I had never heard of Drop Bears before. Never have since until today
either. Curious.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Old February 5th 04, 04:08 AM
hippy

"Oyster" wrote in message
Taken from here-
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...635665765.html

Q. Ya know what's annoying?

A. People that post links that return "Page not found"

;-)

hippy
"No, really.. ;-)"

Old February 5th 04, 09:41 AM
Rob

"Westie" wrote in message ...
Oyster wrote:
Taken from here-
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...635665765.html

dropped

Is the Drop Bear common in Australia?

Very, they're more dangerous than the snakes, sharks, spiders and crocodiles. Not much good for tourism though.

Rob

Old February 5th 04, 03:08 PM
kantspel

Oyster wrote:
Taken from here-
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...635665765.html

"Two Aussie Mountain Bikers were saved from certain death this morning when
a Farmer fired shots at a stalking Drop Bear.

So I go googling for "Drop Bear", as I'd never heard of them. Being
more of a picture book kinda guy I hit google images first and the third
line down has a photo that I excitedly click on to see one of these
creatures. Alas it is merely a bear but concidinkily enough it's on
Pete Fagerlins site! Small web

Old February 5th 04, 08:48 PM
Spider1977

Is the Drop Bear common in Australia?

Very common, often seen around camp sites, especially the ones
frequented by female Scandinavian back packers. Appearances usually
result in much merriment on behalf of macho young Australian men. Drop
bears are often calmed by the site of an eski full of coldies.

Old February 5th 04, 10:01 PM
hippy

"Rob" wrote in message
Is the Drop Bear common in Australia?

Very, they're more dangerous than the snakes, sharks, spiders and

crocodiles. Not much good for tourism though.

Don't forget the "hoop" snake... more dangerous again.. but
thankfully in much lower numbers than drop bears.

Be careful out there folks!
hippy

Old February 6th 04, 04:08 AM
Michael Dart

In ,
kantspel typed:
Oyster wrote:
Taken from here-
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...635665765.html

"Two Aussie Mountain Bikers were saved from certain death this
morning when a Farmer fired shots at a stalking Drop Bear.

So I go googling for "Drop Bear", as I'd never heard of them. Being
more of a picture book kinda guy I hit google images first and the
third line down has a photo that I excitedly click on to see one of
these creatures. Alas it is merely a bear but concidinkily enough
it's on Pete Fagerlins site! Small web

My googling resulted in this:

"According to legend, Drop Bears are dangerous creatures that hide in gum
trees. You can tell if one of them is hiding in a tree by lying on your back
beneath the tree and spitting upwards. If the Drop Bear is up there, it'll
spit back. "

Mike - y'all come to Virginia for a snipe hunt sometime. ;^)