What makes soft tires creep on rims?

Old July 12th 17, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

Default What makes soft tires creep on rims?

What is the process by which soft tires creep on rims when the
tire is underinflated, even with no applied torque?

I have a CycleTote trailer that uses standard 26" wheels. I tend to
keep the tires quite soft, just a few psi, partly out of neglect and
partly because the trailer is less inclined to bounce at low tire pressure.
The beads seem firmly seated, the tire can't be slipped on the rim by hand.

Over time, the valve stems become inclined in a direction that suggests
the rim is rotating backwards relative to the tube. There's no torque
applied to either tire or rim, so what is driving the motion?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Old July 12th 17, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Newton

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=tire...t%20patch&sm=1
Old July 12th 17, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 01:12:30 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

What is the process by which soft tires creep on rims when the
tire is underinflated, even with no applied torque?

I have a CycleTote trailer that uses standard 26" wheels. I tend to
keep the tires quite soft, just a few psi, partly out of neglect and
partly because the trailer is less inclined to bounce at low tire pressure.
The beads seem firmly seated, the tire can't be slipped on the rim by hand.

Over time, the valve stems become inclined in a direction that suggests
the rim is rotating backwards relative to the tube. There's no torque
applied to either tire or rim, so what is driving the motion?

When you under-inflate the tire, the inner tube loose contact at a few
points with the inside of the tire. That creates a situation where
the circumference of the inner tube and the tire are slightly
different. Visualize what happens when two circles of unequal
diameter and a common point of contact on the ground. As they roll
forward, the inner circle rotates at a different rate than the outer
circle causing the two circles to change relative position. The
difference in circumferences are very small, but large enough to cause
creep. When the inner tube and tire are properly inflated, the inner
tube and tire are locked together by the tire pressure, so no relative
rotation (creep) is possible.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 12th 17, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Week wrote

The contact surface piles a rubber wall. That resistance or pressure ahead is greater than the pressure before contact or during contact, exerting the systems retro motion.

Found whrr 'grip' is more effective than 'roll'

The motion is energy loss or energy soak off n should be designed or applied out of the total system. I guess finding it is misapplication of tire n rim

Old July 12th 17, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/11/2017 8:12 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
What is the process by which soft tires creep on rims when the
tire is underinflated, even with no applied torque?

I have a CycleTote trailer that uses standard 26" wheels. I tend to
keep the tires quite soft, just a few psi, partly out of neglect and
partly because the trailer is less inclined to bounce at low tire pressure.
The beads seem firmly seated, the tire can't be slipped on the rim by hand.

Over time, the valve stems become inclined in a direction that suggests
the rim is rotating backwards relative to the tube. There's no torque
applied to either tire or rim, so what is driving the motion?

It's not specific to torque[1]. The deformation at the
bottom where your tire squishes out is cyclical, changing
the pressure outward against the inner face of the rim,
briefly higher, then lower. This effect is seen more
dramatically at below-optimal tire pressures. One might
suspect torque because the rear is usually more pronounced
but I believe that's proportional to load.

[1] Wheelbarrows and other carts do this as well.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 12th 17, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Errr, no. The creep is a rather simple thing. It's when the coefficient of drag (traction) of the tire on the ground exceeds that of the tire on the inside edge of the rim. You don't need power in nor braking power for this to occur. The tire is generally locked onto the inside edge of the rim by the inflation pressure.
Old July 12th 17, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 9:12:00 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

all said with math perfect models in mind gradually moving to degrade after dropping the wheel into a sewer grate

air pressure moves around from contact ...prob doesn't take much degrade setting it in substantial motion

I never notices a prob here always riding in advanced degrade
Old July 12th 17, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

[...]

Yep, that's another explanation.

Please note that the OP mentioned that:
I tend to keep the tires quite soft, just a few psi, partly
out of neglect and partly because the trailer is less inclined
to bounce at low tire pressure. The beads seem firmly seated,
the tire can't be slipped on the rim by hand.

As far as I can recall, the only tube type tires that I've seen creep
were on under-inflated tires. There may also have been a problem
where someone used far too much baby powder, or smooth surface rim
tape. I don't recall those. It is possible that the tire is slipping
on the rim with under-pressure. However, it's my contention that the
tube is what is moving relative to the tire, and that the rim and tire
remain in place. It would be easy enough to test by putting simply
marks on both the tire and rim to see they move relative to each
other.

Old July 12th 17, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Jeff, the exact same thing will happen if you use the locking screw on the filler value. Test it. Install the tire with the name centered on the filler. Ride it with less than minimum pressure for any distance the tire tube will remain vertically though because of sticking to the rotating tire it CAN tear the filler out. But the name can move a long way from where it started.
Old July 13th 17, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 6:12:00 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

How about underwear? Is this the same mechanism by which, when you're pretending you're mario andretti, and driving 95 up such-and-such canyon-road, your underwear creeps up until you are in a wedgie, about to be strangled?

Who makes offset rims nowadays? Konstantin Shemyak Techniques 2 November 30th 07 10:42 AM
If soft seats are not good, why have soft shorts? wle Techniques 22 May 24th 06 07:35 PM
Soft Sand & Tires John Techniques 6 July 11th 05 10:39 PM
Creep. Fredzep Mountain Biking 12 November 26th 03 05:28 AM