Fabio Paro?

Old December 14th 04, 09:08 PM
Badger

Default Fabio Paro?

In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the reason
they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe d'Huez.

Can anyone fill me in on this? Not sure I have the name spelled right;
sorry. ;-)

TiA

-B

Old December 14th 04, 09:57 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:08:16 -0500, Badger wrote:
In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the reason
they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe d'Huez.

Giuseppe Guerini?

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
Old December 14th 04, 10:10 PM
Badger

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:57:45 +0100, Ewoud Dronkert
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:08:16 -0500, Badger wrote:
In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the reason
they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe d'Huez.

Giuseppe Guerini?

No, Guerini was the one who had a réunion fortuite with Eric the
Photographer. (see: WORLD CYCLING PRODUCTIONS, 1999 Tour de France, An
American in Paris, Volume 1, Tape 1)

-B

Old December 14th 04, 10:24 PM
Bob Schwartz

Badger wrote:
In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the reason
they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe d'Huez.

Can anyone fill me in on this? Not sure I have the name spelled right;
sorry. ;-)

I believe it was 1988. I am doing this from memory, I can check
the details when I get home. But I think it was Parra and Herrera
that were leading the race when the crowds got too thick causing
a backup of the race traffic. In the confusion and disarray it
was Rooks that slipped through for the stage win.

Bob Schwartz

Old December 14th 04, 10:32 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:10:38 -0500, Badger wrote:
In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the reason
they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe d'Huez.

Giuseppe Guerini?

No, Guerini was the one who had a réunion fortuite with Eric the
Photographer.

I know, that's precisely why I suggested it might have been he that was
the reason. But Schwartz got it right I guess (except of course for the
fact that Rooks, my fellow countryman, was a lucky winner).

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
Old December 14th 04, 10:48 PM
Badger

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:24:28 -0000, Bob Schwartz
wrote:

Badger wrote:
In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the reason
they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe d'Huez.

Can anyone fill me in on this? Not sure I have the name spelled right;
sorry. ;-)

I believe it was 1988. I am doing this from memory, I can check
the details when I get home. But I think it was Parra and Herrera
that were leading the race when the crowds got too thick causing
a backup of the race traffic. In the confusion and disarray it
was Rooks that slipped through for the stage win.

Bob Schwartz

Thanks Bob. Sorry for the misspelling of 'Parra'. No wonder I couldn't find
it in a web search. I was trying to hear pronounciation from the WCP DVD
commentary.

Amazing how much interference that the crowds (and sometimes the
motorcycles) cause to the cyclists.

-B

Old December 15th 04, 12:03 AM
Ed Sullivan

Badger wrote:
In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the

reason
they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe

d'Huez.

Can anyone fill me in on this? Not sure I have the name spelled

right;
sorry. ;-)

TiA

-B

Fabio Parra was a well known Columbian rider of the eighties and early
ninties. He was feared on the climbs and was thought be a tour
contender, although he never made the podium.

Old December 15th 04, 12:06 AM
Ed Sullivan

Badger wrote:
In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the

reason
they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe

d'Huez.

Can anyone fill me in on this? Not sure I have the name spelled

right;
sorry. ;-)

TiA

-B

Fabio Parra was a well known Columbian rider of the 1980s and early
1990s. He was thought to be a Tour contender, however, despite same
flashes of brilliance in various stages, he never made the podium.

Old December 15th 04, 12:32 AM
Geraard Spergen

"Bob Schwartz" wrote in message
Badger wrote:
In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the reason
they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe d'Huez.

Can anyone fill me in on this? Not sure I have the name spelled right;
sorry. ;-)

I believe it was 1988. I am doing this from memory, I can check
the details when I get home. But I think it was Parra and Herrera
that were leading the race when the crowds got too thick causing
a backup of the race traffic. In the confusion and disarray it
was Rooks that slipped through for the stage win.

Bob Schwartz

I don't ever remember an AdH finish that had no barriers at the top, but
maybe they added them farther down as a result of this:
http://tinyurl.com/6w2ou (Torelli site) 1988 history

Things exploded on the final run up the 21 hairpin turns of the L'Alpe.
Fabio Parra repeatedly tried to get away, but he couldn't get through the
crowds blocking the leading motorcyles. Dutchman Steven Rooks managed to
escape, closely followed by Delgado and Rook's good friend Gert-Jan
Theunisse. Parra was six seconds behind Delgado. The rest of the field,
including all of the erstwhile contenders were scattered down the mountain.
Luis Herrera was only 1 minute 67 seconds behind, but Hampsten was 10th, 4
minutes 21 seconds back. Pedro Delgado had established himself as the clear
leader of the Tour as he donned the Yellow Jersey. Theunisse, in one of his
many run-ins with doping controls during his career, was found positive. He
had 10 minutes added to his time.

Old December 15th 04, 01:33 AM
Bob Schwartz

Ed Sullivan wrote:

Badger wrote:
In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the

reason
they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe

d'Huez.

Can anyone fill me in on this? Not sure I have the name spelled

right;
sorry. ;-)

TiA

-B

Fabio Parra was a well known Columbian rider of the 1980s and early
1990s. He was thought to be a Tour contender, however, despite same
flashes of brilliance in various stages, he never made the podium.

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccb..._ten.html#1988

1988 1 Delgado, Pedro E 84 27'53"
2 Rooks, Steven NL 7'13"
3 Parra, Fabio COL 9'58"