Nutrition for long distance rides e.g. LEJOG

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 29th 05, 07:39 PM
vernon

Default Nutrition for long distance rides e.g. LEJOG

Having got nutrition and hydration sorted for Audax rides using energy bars,
bananas and PSP22, mix I will be cycling around 100km per day for around a
fortnight on an unsupported LEJOG ride in August. The energy demands are
going to be quite different because of the additional weight that I will be
carrying and I am curious to know what other LEJOG rider ate during the
ride. More specifically, how should I balance the carb/protein content of
the food throughout the day? i.e. high carb or high protein
breakfast/lunch/evening meal. Carrying PSP22 is impractical so my drinks
are likely to be water only unless there is a 'homebrew' that could be mixed
each day from standard food items. I have bonked out a few times when cycle
camping and it seems to take ages for me to be able to eat my way out of the
energy gap. It's also a demoralising experience.

All advice welcomed.

Cheers

Vernon