Cycling to work

Old June 27th 05, 10:16 PM
Sean Rooney

Default Cycling to work

Hiya, just bought my new bike after much deliberation - a CB Urban 400. I'm
planning a 12 mile round trip to work a few times a week.

What are the practicalities? What kit do I need to pack? How do I carry my
trousers, shirt and tie without looking a bundle of wrinkles when I arrive?
There are showers in work so won't stink and decent bike racks at the front
of the building.

What else do I need to consider? I'm going to do a few dry runs some
weekends.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Seán

Old June 27th 05, 10:44 PM
MSeries

Sean Rooney wrote:
Hiya, just bought my new bike after much deliberation - a CB Urban 400. I'm
planning a 12 mile round trip to work a few times a week.

What are the practicalities? What kit do I need to pack? How do I carry my
trousers, shirt and tie without looking a bundle of wrinkles when I arrive?
There are showers in work so won't stink and decent bike racks at the front
of the building.

What else do I need to consider? I'm going to do a few dry runs some
weekends.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Seán

I leave my trousers (jeans & suit) and shoes at work. I don't have to
wear shirt & tie everyday. I carry a t-shrt, underwear and socks in my
backpack/ large saddle pack/pannier on a daily basis. A neatly folded
shirt shouldn't get creased too badly if folded carefully.

Give it a try, you will work out whats best for you.
Old June 27th 05, 11:01 PM
Terry D

MSeries wrote:

I leave my trousers (jeans & suit) and shoes at work. I don't have to
wear shirt & tie everyday. I carry a t-shrt, underwear and socks in my
backpack/ large saddle pack/pannier on a daily basis. A neatly folded
shirt shouldn't get creased too badly if folded carefully.

Give it a try, you will work out whats best for you.

Similar to above. My work shoes live at work and rarely come home. Jacket can
also be left at work. Trousers taken in Monday and come home on Friday. Clean
shirt, socks and underwear ROLLED neatly and placed in bottom of pannier every
day. I have now accumulated a small selection of ties at work which saves
worrying about what to do when you forget to take one with you.

--
Terry Duckmanton.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/terry.duckmanton
A website mostly dedicated to cycling
Old June 28th 05, 12:09 AM

Sean Rooney wrote:
What are the practicalities? What kit do I need to pack? How do I carry my
trousers, shirt and tie without looking a bundle of wrinkles when I arrive?

Fold the shirt properly[1] and then carefully roll around panst and
socks. Place in a plastic bag (unless you have properly waterproof
panniers). On a commute with showers at the end I never worry too much
with rain gear. Leave trousers/suit and shoes at work

best wishes
james

[1]button shirt and place face down on bed. Place copy of new format
Cycle mag in centre of shirtback level with collar. Fold sides of
shirt in line with edges of mag. Fold sleeves back outwards and
downwards in line with vertical folds. Fold shirt in thirds vertically
starting from bottom and finishing in line with bottom edge of mag.
Pull mag out from top. Carefully roll around underwear

Old June 28th 05, 09:59 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Sean Rooney
') wrote:

Hiya, just bought my new bike after much deliberation - a CB Urban
400. I'm planning a 12 mile round trip to work a few times a week.

What are the practicalities? What kit do I need to pack? How do I
carry my trousers, shirt and tie without looking a bundle of wrinkles
when I arrive? There are showers in work so won't stink and decent
bike racks at the front of the building.

One solution is to drive or bus in once a week with four clean shirts
and one pair of trousers, and take the dirties home. That assumes you
have a locker or at least a drawer at work where you can keep them.
Alternatively, there are things you can buy which will carry a neatly
folded shirt and pair of trousers in a pannier.

What else do I need to consider? I'm going to do a few dry runs some
weekends.

Adequate lights - even in summer you can stay late for one reason or
another; spare inner tube. I would advise leaving your lock at work, as
carrying a heavy lock around on the bike is no fun.

' ' ------- this blank intentionally spaced left

Old June 28th 05, 10:28 AM
Jeremy Collins

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:59:33 +0100, Simon Brooke
wrote:

One solution is to drive or bus in once a week with four clean shirts
and one pair of trousers, and take the dirties home. That assumes you
have a locker or at least a drawer at work where you can keep them.

I guess you could also permanently leave the suits & shirts at work,
and use a local dry-cleaning service. You'd just have to pick up a
freshly laundered & pressed pile of clothes one lunchtime each week.

I've never done this, but it does have a certain (slightly decadent)
appeal and you could cycle every day!

--
jc
Old June 28th 05, 10:41 AM
daren

Pack a can of Holts Tyre Weld (there is a cyclist version that costs
more and is 1/2 the size). That should see off at least two minor
punctures. Also take a spare inner tube, pump and levers, a pair of
latex gloves (plastic ones from diesel garages will also work), a
spanner if you don't have quick release wheels. Six miles isn't far
enough to be seriously hindered by mechanical failure.

Clothing: If work dress is casual, I'd probably ride slower in my work
clothes, although this is on the threshold of comfort. If formal, pack
as already discussed. I'd change to ride home and add mileage.

My boys ride 5 miles to school twice a week, and they certainly don't
pack their uniforms, although they do wear shorts and a white shirt :-)

good luck

Daren
--
remove outer garment for reply

[Long] ASA vs CTC Not Responding UK 18 January 20th 05 12:36 AM
Cycling Art Work - Contemporary Colors & Design Gary Coles UK 0 November 16th 04 01:56 AM
published helmet research - not troll Frank Krygowski Social Issues 1716 October 24th 04 06:39 AM
Cycling to work banned James Annan UK 84 January 30th 04 05:54 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM