Nutrition for long distance rides e.g. LEJOG

Old June 29th 05, 10:11 PM
vernon

Default Nutrition for long distance rides e.g. LEJOG

Throughout, drink was black tea or soft drinks from the occasional pub
stop. For the two weeks+, I also decided to become tea total, which I
found easier that I had anticipated.
We also always had black tea for the brew ups, as we couldn't be ars*d
to carry milk.

One of my failings with last years attempt was that I tried to take too much
with me tea, coffee, coffee mate, sugar, salt all in plastic containers
which used up
valuable space along with assorted canned fish, corned beef and the like.

So no science at all, and we didn't suffer for the lack of gobbledegook
about iso this and tonic that.

Not too worried about iso tonics...PSP22 just happens to do the job of
keeping
me going on Audaxes but is impractical for LEJOG. What i'm essentially
after is
energy dense foods yet want to make sure that malnutrition as opposed to
staravation doesn't happen. After all it isn't often that one makes a
protracted
exercise and energy demand on one's body.

Our ride is at:
http://www.jpbdesign.net/EndtoEnd.html

Been to the site a few times and is inspirational.

Getting bogged down in this kind of stuff may make you think the ride is
harder than it really is.

It is a demanding ride. I wasn't ready for it last year.

That said, you will always remember it, but because it is a ride steeped
in history, traditions, and crazy stories. it is part of our heritage,
and by riding it you will become part of that history.

The tale I could tell about the Black Venus could have been written by
the League of Gentlemen team...... :-)

Was also led astray by two chaps from Preston in Tintagel.....

A tea bag dangling in hot water works a treat.

more so if there's some sugar to go with it :-)

Just do it, and enjoy.

I will and i hope to!

Old June 29th 05, 10:13 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

You will need to eat LOTS and you can't carry it all.

Decide what you *like* to eat, and where and how you'll get it. Cooked
meals from a café can be greasy but you can choose something 'sensible'
from most menus.

Consider requesting your pudding be served BEFORE your main course.
Sludge and custard is a good way of replenishing your carbohydrate
levels.

Always travel with some food on hand; I like teacakes (even without
butter), tinned rice pudding, shortbread fingers.

Real food works out cheaper than energy products and will probably serve
you just as well in the long term.

After a few days in the road, you may see some foodstuff you've not had
for ages and really crave; buy it and enjoy! (My sudden weakness was for
cherries in Kiruna, when I'd cycled there from near Stockholm...)

Don't go too long between feeds; 90 minutes is often about right.

Ice cream provides few Calories but is rather nice anyway - ENJOY!

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old June 29th 05, 10:13 PM
vernon

It's not cold, it is just differently summered.

Yeah and I'm underheight for my weight :-)

Old June 29th 05, 11:02 PM
vernon

You will need to eat LOTS and you can't carry it all.

I found that out...I know pregnant women get away with eating for two but
once or twice I forgot to eat for the enrgy expenditure linked to hauling
the
camping gear over the hills. I aim to be more methodical in my shopping and
eating on the forthcoming attempt.

Decide what you *like* to eat, and where and how you'll get it. Cooked
meals from a café can be greasy but you can choose something 'sensible'
from most menus.

Thankfully I have a wide ranging taste in foods I'd only starve if the sole
source
of calories was blue cheese.

Consider requesting your pudding be served BEFORE your main course.
Sludge and custard is a good way of replenishing your carbohydrate
levels.

Always travel with some food on hand; I like teacakes (even without
butter), tinned rice pudding, shortbread fingers.

Ahhh....rice pudding.....mmmmm.......malt loaf dipped in rice pudding -
yum......

Real food works out cheaper than energy products and will probably serve
you just as well in the long term.

I was under no illusion about the cost of energy products and would like to
avoid them if possible and eat as normally as possible....

After a few days in the road, you may see some foodstuff you've not had
for ages and really crave; buy it and enjoy! (My sudden weakness was for
cherries in Kiruna, when I'd cycled there from near Stockholm...)

I succumbed to tinned sardines....

Don't go too long between feeds; 90 minutes is often about right.

I've been nibbling every hour on the Audaxes perhaps that's why I don't lose
much weight from all the exercise...

Ice cream provides few Calories but is rather nice anyway - ENJOY!

Ice cream on malt loaf....yum..... :-)

Cheers Helen, yet more food for thought....groan...

Old June 29th 05, 11:35 PM
JBB

"vernon" wrote in message
Having got nutrition and hydration sorted for Audax rides using energy
bars,
bananas and PSP22, mix I will be cycling around 100km per day for around a
fortnight on an unsupported LEJOG ride in August. The energy demands are
going to be quite different because of the additional weight that I will
be
carrying and I am curious to know what other LEJOG rider ate during the
ride. More specifically, how should I balance the carb/protein content of
the food throughout the day? i.e. high carb or high protein
breakfast/lunch/evening meal. Carrying PSP22 is impractical so my drinks
are likely to be water only unless there is a 'homebrew' that could be
mixed
each day from standard food items. I have bonked out a few times when
cycle
camping and it seems to take ages for me to be able to eat my way out of
the
energy gap. It's also a demoralising experience.

All advice welcomed.

Cheers

Vernon

Nobody seems to have suggested the cheap "iso" drink! 50/50 cheap orange
juice and water with ahearty sprinkle of salt. Works for me on audax rides
and one or two others.

HTH
Julia

Old June 29th 05, 11:42 PM
David Martin

vernon wrote:

It's not cold, it is just differently summered.

Yeah and I'm underheight for my weight :-)

With that kind of surface area to volume ratio you should be fine in
the sunny North. Especially as it comes under the category of
'non-flat'.

...d

Old June 30th 05, 06:57 AM
Chris Malcolm

"JBB" writes:

Nobody seems to have suggested the cheap "iso" drink! 50/50 cheap orange
juice and water with ahearty sprinkle of salt. Works for me on audax rides
and one or two others.

When I was a cycle-all-day kid hundreds of years ago my preferred
drink was tea with lots of sugar, some grated cheese, and a good pinch
of salt. No science behind it, I just started off with tea and added
what seemed to be missing from it when I felt tired, hungry, and
thirsty. I liked it and it seemed to do the job well.

--
Chris Malcolm +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
[

Old June 30th 05, 07:47 AM
wafflycat

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message

After a few days in the road, you may see some foodstuff you've not had
for ages and really crave; buy it and enjoy! (My sudden weakness was for
cherries in Kiruna, when I'd cycled there from near Stockholm...)

Last summer in France, I discovered the joys of Lipton Ice Tea (peach)...
That stuff kept my legs spinning the entire day. I'd dilute it 50/50 with
water and it kept my hydrated & full of energy even when it was seriously
hot & I was cycling a fully-loaded tourer! Every time we stopped at a shop
I'd replenish stocks :-)

Cheers, helen s

Old June 30th 05, 07:51 AM
vernon

Last summer in France, I discovered the joys of Lipton Ice Tea (peach)...
That stuff kept my legs spinning the entire day. I'd dilute it 50/50 with
water and it kept my hydrated & full of energy even when it was seriously
hot & I was cycling a fully-loaded tourer! Every time we stopped at a shop
I'd replenish stocks :-)

That is a very welcome reminder. I discovered the stuff in Rome and carried
several cans around with me for hydration as we walked around the city. I'd
not thought of it as an energy source though.

Vernon

Old June 30th 05, 11:43 AM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"wafflycat" waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uktyped

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message

After a few days in the road, you may see some foodstuff you've not had
for ages and really crave; buy it and enjoy! (My sudden weakness was for
cherries in Kiruna, when I'd cycled there from near Stockholm...)

Last summer in France, I discovered the joys of Lipton Ice Tea (peach)...
That stuff kept my legs spinning the entire day. I'd dilute it 50/50 with
water and it kept my hydrated & full of energy even when it was seriously
hot & I was cycling a fully-loaded tourer! Every time we stopped at a shop
I'd replenish stocks :-)

Cheers, helen s

I bought 'Pripps Plus' in Sweden. Seemed like a good isotonic drink
powder at the time (1988). It got me from sea level to 1500 metres (I
think) in a fairly happy state but I don't know whether it's still
available and it's a Scandiwegian product anyway.

Iced tea is nice...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.