40% of households are car-free

Old August 24th 09, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default 40% of households are car-free

http://lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1427
Old August 24th 09, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Tom Crispin wrote:
http://lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1427

In London maybe, where there are realistic alternatives for many people-
subsidised by those for whom there is no economical alternative.

--
Matt B
Old August 25th 09, 03:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 20:34:24 +0100
Tom Crispin wrote:

http://lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1427

Not much a London-centric subject line.

Old August 25th 09, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_2_]

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message
http://lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1427

I live in the country and most people around here own a car. Public
transport services are few and far between and where they do exist, run very
infrequently.

London is a totally different environment with a much higher population
density so it doesn't surprise me that fewer people own a car. Whenever I
travel in London, I always use public transport because it is there and can
take me close to pretty much anywhere within the capital.

Old August 25th 09, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

40% of London households don't own a car, but all are beset by the cars that
others own

Old August 25th 09, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

POHB wrote:
40% of London households don't own a car, but all are beset by the cars that
others own

All are also beset by the motorbikes, bicycles and particularly buses
that others use.

If you want to live a life unaffected by the activities of others,
London probably isn't the best choice of all the places to live in.

--
Matt B
Old August 25th 09, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
chris French

In message , Mr Benn
writes
"Tom Crispin" wrote in message
.. .
http://lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1427

I live in the country and most people around here own a car. Public
transport services are few and far between and where they do exist, run very
infrequently.

Yup, I imagine that the number of households in our village (fairly
large as villages go, with a selection of shops) without a car is
probably below 5% Mostly elderly people by the looks of the people
waiting for the bus.

London is a totally different environment with a much higher population
density so it doesn't surprise me that fewer people own a car. Whenever I
travel in London, I always use public transport because it is there and can
take me close to pretty much anywhere within the capital.

Yup, when I lived in London for 5 years I never owned a car, but I
wouldn't want to be without one where we live now.
--
Chris French

Old August 25th 09, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Tom Crispin wrote:

http://lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1427

Not much a London-centric subject line.

The usual -"Oooh, they do it different over there and it works. Let's do
the same here"

Never looking at the local or national infrastructure, how these various
schemes (whether traffic, health or whatever) actually work or don't.
Never looking at what underpins the project or scheme.
Never looking any further than a Powerpoint presentation of how
wonderful it all is presented by the planners.

(denmark and holland are pro-city cycling, they have a different
perception on peopole v's motorised traffic. hungary has a wonderful
system of teaching maths but it is embedded in the culture - not
parrotted in the schools (where the really young are not forced in to
classrooms as soon s they are out of nappies).

Should suit Boris to a 'T', he's all full of hot air ****e and nothing more.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old August 25th 09, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

"Matt B" wrote

All are also beset by the motorbikes, bicycles and particularly buses that
others use.

If you want to live a life unaffected by the activities of others, London
probably isn't the best choice of all the places to live in.

Very true. But at least buses mostly only beset people on main through
roads.

Old August 25th 09, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe[_3_]

chris French wrote:
In message , Mr Benn
writes
"Tom Crispin" wrote in
message ...
http://lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1427

I live in the country and most people around here own a car. Public
transport services are few and far between and where they do exist,
run very infrequently.

Yup, I imagine that the number of households in our village (fairly
large as villages go, with a selection of shops) without a car is
probably below 5% Mostly elderly people by the looks of the people
waiting for the bus.

Dangerous assumptions by watching bus queues....
Elderly people (ie those of state pension age and above) get free bus
travel.
I know several people who get free bus travel who go that way by choice,
even with a nice car on the driveway.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,