Stiff groin muscle for long distance rides

Old March 7th 05, 12:34 AM
Erin

Default Stiff groin muscle for long distance rides

Anyone else out there experience a sore groin muscle in the dominant leg
after riding long distances on your uni?
This is a relatively new phenomena for me and I am not sure how to
prevent it. Any ideas?

--
Erin - Onewheeler

Ride more, with less.
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

Old March 7th 05, 01:01 AM
UniBrier

I don't know if this is same thing you are experiencing but I did notice
a nagging sensation in the inside leg, groin area, after my recent coker
training and riding the Chilly Hilly. I also get sore there in the early
ski season.

It is probably a muscle that doesn't get used much in everyday
activities but you feel it when you start to use it.

Maybe someone with better physiological understanding can explain but I
think it may be the vastus medialis muscle in the quadiricep group.

http://tinyurl.com/4rcyv

http://tinyurl.com/6jnrx

Like any conditioning, stretch it and strengthen it. You might also try
riding with your seat a little higher for distance riding.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek

Do your feet smell? Does you nose run?...You may be built upside down.

UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old March 7th 05, 01:10 AM
James_Potter

This has happened to me before, and I fixed it by straightening the
seat. And I raised it a bit too, so UniBrier could be right.

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old March 7th 05, 01:59 AM
tomblackwood

Erin wrote:
*Anyone else out there experience a sore groin muscle in the dominant
leg after riding long distances on your uni?
This is a relatively new phenomena for me and I am not sure how to
prevent it. Any ideas? *

General tendency is to stretch before a ride, but the muscles will
stretch better after 5 minutes of use. One thing you might try if you
know you're going to do a long ride is ride about 5 minutes first, then
dismount and do some stretches while the muscles have new blood in them
and are fired up a bit.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

"By George! The man's a genius!"
Murde Mental

Old March 7th 05, 02:47 AM
Erin

Good suggestions guys. Thanks

Yes, I do often stretch before riding but you are right to say that it
would likely to be optimum to stretch a bit into the start of the ride.

Yeah, could be vastus medialis. Interesting, I was wondering at first
if it was the top end of the illiotibial band.

Slightly higher seat, ok, I'm going to try that out to......

Erin heads off to find her allen key to start loosening the KH seat

Old March 8th 05, 06:09 AM
Erin

Yeah good point. Today I did my commute with the seat slightly raised
beyond the height I had been riding with. It did seem to make a
difference.

Now pedal width...that's something I hadn't thought of before. So how
did the bike shop guys help you out on that one?

Old March 8th 05, 06:39 AM
ChangingLINKS.com

I find it is best to take very short stretch sessions during all parts
of the ride (and before going to sleep). It solved the problem for me
(that muscle starts to burn on the ride).

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Old March 8th 05, 01:43 PM
steve0we

Pedal width was a bigger problem on my knees, I ride with SPD pedal, and
we adjusted the angle of the shoe. It fels much better than it did, but
still gives me problems every now and then.

--
steve0we - Just removed training wheel!

This is Wheelie Wheelie FUN!
steve0we's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8643

Old March 8th 05, 08:10 PM
GizmoDuck

Erin wrote:
*Good suggestions guys. Thanks

Yes, I do often stretch before riding but you are right to say that it
would likely to be optimum to stretch a bit into the start of the
ride.

Yeah, could be vastus medialis. Interesting, I was wondering at first
if it was the top end of the illiotibial band.

Slightly higher seat, ok, I'm going to try that out to......

Erin heads off to find her allen key to start loosening the KH seat
..... *

Is it right on your inner thigh that hurts? And does it hurt more on
the downhills?

I think had exactly the same thing when doing the 'Karapoti Classic'
(http://karapoti.co.nz) on the weekend. It was always worse on the
downhills because I wasn't using any brakes and it was very steep. As a
result, there was always a degree of tension on my hamstrings to control
my decent.

I think if you're getting it more on the inner thigh, and worse on the
descent, then it's likely to be one of your adductor muscles (quick look
at anatomy book- Adductor magnus/minimus). These muscles pull your leg
towards the midline. I think they is under tension probably for
controlling the direction of the unicycle on the downhill.

I guess the quadriceps are also under a lot of tension when descending,
but I've always found the pain on the inner thigh, feels too medial to
be the Quads.

The only solution I can see is to get some brakes to help control the
descent.

Ken

--
GizmoDuck - NZUNI

o-kO
'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)

Old March 8th 05, 08:16 PM
GizmoDuck

Or it could be the semimembranosus muscle- one of the hamstrings. I
think it's medial enough to be a possible cause of the pain.

Ken

VDB admits doping...? HB Racing 123 October 9th 03 09:34 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM