Dumbarton Road: McGill's buses say sorry after cyclist is ‘harassed’

Old October 28th 20, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Dumbarton Road: McGill's buses say sorry after cyclist is ‘harassed’

At least they said sorry.
QUOTE:
A BUS driver has been returned to basic training after an investigation found he acted in an “extremely unsatisfactory” manner towards a cyclist.

The McGill’s Buses worker has been re-enrolled at the firm’s Training Academy for further remedial training on the importance of the safety of other road users, including those on their bikes.

The transport giant has also issued an apology to cyclist Andrew Wand after he complained of being “harassed” while travelling along Dumbarton Road.

In a letter to Mr Wand, which has been seen by the Glasgow Times, the company states: “At McGill’s, our drivers are trained to respect the rights of all road users and I apologise that this is not what you had experienced.

“Due to the nature of this incident, this driver was returned to our Training Academy for further remedial training where our training managers discuss and teach all drivers the importance of the safety to other road users and cyclists; especially when buses are overtaking cyclists who are more exposed and vulnerable.

Read mo Probe launched amid cyclist 'harassment' claims

“On behalf of McGill’s Buses I would like to pass on our sincerest apologies for the upset this incident may have caused both you and your friend.

“Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and allowing us the opportunity to investigate the matter accordingly.”

Mr Wand claimed he and his cycling partner were shouted at as they travelled through Partick.

The driver is alleged to have driven dangerously closely to the duo and blew his horn at them repeatedly while driving along Dumbarton Road last month..

Speaking at the time, Mr Wand said: “I’ve been cycling around the West End for about five years and I’ve never, ever had anything like this. Occasionally, there will be a car who honks their horn but never like this.”

He added: “I take my daughter a cycle every day to school and back and it’s nerve-wracking. There aren’t nearly enough cycle-friendly spaces – especially with a 10-year-old – so I hope it continues to get better.”

McGill’s did not respond to requests for comment.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/...list-harassed/
Old October 28th 20, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 10:05:31 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
At least they said sorry.
QUOTE:

Michael Harris 2 hrs ago
User ID: 1029679
0 Excellent outcome. Each small step will help safer roads .

Boris Johnson's dodgy claims about cyclist v bendy buses. spindrift UK 2 October 26th 08 10:42 AM
Buses. Martin[_2_] UK 3 August 2nd 08 03:35 PM
Buses Tony Raven[_2_] UK 39 October 16th 07 01:48 PM
Avoiding buses Karen Gallagher Australia 24 March 27th 06 03:49 AM
Route from Hayward to the Dumbarton Bridge? Oakland to Hayward? Cycle America Rides 0 September 28th 05 07:39 PM