OUT OF CONTROL Moment speeding Ferrari driver crashes £260,000 car into wall on London bridge almost mowing down cyclists

Old October 28th 20, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default OUT OF CONTROL Moment speeding Ferrari driver crashes £260,000 car into wall on London bridge almost mowing down cyclists

What a plonker!
QUOTE:
THIS is the moment a speeding Ferrari driver crashes his £260,000 car into a wall on a London bridge, almost mowing down cyclists.

The footage shows the driver cause the supercar to swerve, narrowly avoiding cyclists and pedestrians on the footpath. However, the car bangs into the side of Lambeth Bridge, prompting the airbags to be released.

The short clip has been widely shared online since Tuesday, when the accident (SIC) is said to have taken place.

In the video, the driver initially manoeuvres his car smoothly on a road south of the Thames.

As the motorist pulls up to a set of traffic lights, a beeping noise can be heard.

The driver then speeds on, turning the car - a Ferrari 812 Superfast which costs £260,000 - on to Lambeth bridge.

Cyclists and pedestrians can be seen using the 20mph road.

Putting the pedal to the floor of the 789-horsepower car, the driver quickly accelerates.

But just as he passes a pedestrian on an electric scooter he loses control and the car begins to spin onto the other side of the road.

The Ferrari crashes into the side of the bridge, thankfully avoiding any pedestrians and cyclists.

The airbags deploy and the motorist is seen unbuckling his belt before exiting the damaged vehicle.

The Metropolitan Police have confirmed they are investigating the incident.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/130397...idge-cyclists/
Old October 28th 20, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 28/10/2020 10:23, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

What is a "pedestrian on an electric scooter"?

Is it like a pedestrian behind the wheel of a Ferrari?
Old October 28th 20, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 10:23:16 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
What a plonker!
QUOTE:

Cyclists and pedestrians can be seen using the 20mph road.

Do we all reckon that he or she was exceeding the posted speed limit when they lost control? :-)
Old October 28th 20, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 28/10/2020 11:38, Simon Mason wrote:
On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 10:23:16 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
What a plonker!
QUOTE:

Cyclists and pedestrians can be seen using the 20mph road.

Do we all reckon that he or she was exceeding the posted speed limit when they lost control? :-)

You were all there, were you?

Old October 28th 20, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 11:38:33 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:

It seems that it wasn't that the Ferrari driver accelerated that much, it looks like he had the throttle down somewhat in a highish gear, asked the car to downshift but didn't lift off at all. If electronic driver aids are off and you try such a mechanically unsympathetic action, driven wheels experience massive change in torque and will break traction.

It's like starting a max effort on the bike and then shifting down on the front derailleur....

reply quote

Mungecrundle | 1989 posts | 2 hours ago
1 like

Ferrari driver obviously deserves massive respect for skillfully avoiding both ped and the cyclist in an otherwise uncontrollable situation.

reply quote

andystow replied to Mungecrundle | 37 posts | 8 min ago
0 likes

Mungecrundle wrote:

Ferrari driver obviously deserves massive respect for skillfully avoiding both ped and the cyclist in an otherwise uncontrollable situation.

That was nothing but luck. He had zero control over where the car went. If he knew what he was doing he could have recovered it.

reply quote

STiG911 replied to andystow | 349 posts | 1 min ago
0 likes

1 - Pretty sure Munge was being sarcastic

2 - If the driver knew what he was doing, he wouldn't have been driving like a massive cockwomble in the first place.

reply quote

eburtthebike | 1183 posts | 2 hours ago
5 likes

Ferrari + Dickhead = trouble.

I'm just glad he didn't hit the pedestrian on the left or the cyclist on the right. I hope the car was seriously damaged and the police prosecute for exceeding the speed limit and dangerous driving.

reply quote

OnYerBike replied to eburtthebike | 163 posts | 2 hours ago
1 like

eburtthebike wrote:

I hope [...] the police prosecute for exceeding the speed limit and dangerous driving.

And I hope that I find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. I know which I think is more likely...

reply quote

Gd29 replied to OnYerBike | 7 posts | 1 hour ago
1 like

My question is how did that video get out?

reply quote

Awavey | 1167 posts | 3 hours ago
9 likes

Be interesting to see if cyclegaz finds that makes an impact, seeing as the overwhelming evidence from experience is that drivers dont see cyclists at all...except when it's dark & they have no lights or jump red lights.

reply quote

OldRidgeback replied to Awavey | 3475 posts | 2 hours ago
4 likes

That's an interesting idea Cyclegaz has there. I've seen him around town a few times.

The video of the Ferrari driver on Lambeth Bridge is worrying. My wife cycles across there regularly to get to work. The roundabout is notoriously dangerous and I've asked her to use a different route, but it's the one she likes. That the Ferrari driver can't even control the car in a straight line in a 20mph limit shows just how inadequate the person's driving skills are.

reply quote

jollygoodvelo replied to Awavey | 2097 posts | 2 hours ago
2 likes

I suspect - and hope I'm wrong - that the most notable impact will be even more drivers punishment passing him.