Is "hot" good or bad??

Old February 8th 05, 06:31 AM
Absent Husband

Default Is "hot" good or bad??

Hi all,

Being a 'handbag' (apologies to genuine handbags out there...) and not
riding today or the next couple in BrisneyLand due to the 'oppressive
heat' (forecast around 35-39 for the next couple of days...)

Question of course is - does riding in the heat actually provide a
greater training benefit (compared to 'normal weather') ie. more
calories burned, greater actual effort required (not just perceived
effort), etc etc.

Aside from just 'getting used to' riding in the heat (ie
acclimatisation benefit), can I tell myself that I'm actually doing
some good by pedalling up the hills with the hot sun baking down, the
heat emanating from the roadway 'baking up', and me slowly toasting toa
crisp??

Or if I rode, am I just asking to become mega-dehydrated, with out any
acompanying mega-fitness benefit to go with it??

Cheers all,
Absent Husband (who kind of feels like a wuss, but is looking for some
reassurance...)

Old February 8th 05, 07:43 AM
ritcho

Absent Husband Wrote:
Hi all,

Question of course is - does riding in the heat actually provide a
greater training benefit (compared to 'normal weather') ie. more
calories burned, greater actual effort required (not just perceived
effort), etc etc.

Cheers all,
Absent Husband (who kind of feels like a wuss, but is looking for some
reassurance...)

Riding in the heat exposes you to higher risk of dehydration, loss o
electrolytes and heat exhaustion.

Your body has a harder time controlling temperature, especially if th
high temp is accompanied by high humidity. Heat stroke cannot always b
alleviated by fluid intake and is potentially lethal, though flui
intake is a key risk factor.

There is little difference in training benefit, as long as you hydrat
more often and in greater quantity when training in the heat. However
prolonged efforts in the heat will require _significant_ quantities o
electrolytes with water, generally 'quite a lot' more than your norma
consumption.

A cautionary tale...

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/dehydration.html

Ritc

--
ritcho

Old February 8th 05, 09:15 AM
essendon93

ritcho Wrote:
Riding in the heat exposes you to higher risk of dehydration, loss o
electrolytes and heat exhaustion.

Your body has a harder time controlling temperature, especially if th
high temp is accompanied by high humidity. Heat stroke cannot always b
alleviated by fluid intake and is potentially lethal, though flui
intake is a key risk factor

There is little difference in training benefit, as long as you hydrat
more often and in greater quantity when training in the heat. However
prolonged efforts in the heat will require _significant_ quantities o
electrolytes with water, generally 'quite a lot' more than your norma
consumption

A cautionary tale..

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/dehydration.htm

Ritch

Thats a good site ritcho. One thing I didn't do on the alpine was tak
in enough salt, and paid for it going up Buffalo. I really didn'
understand what my body was going through, and even though I wa
drinking lots of water, I now understand that my body was rejecting it
Also helps explain the nausea I experienced. I'm still 1kg down from m
normal body weight (62

--
essendon93

Old February 8th 05, 10:50 AM
ritcho

essendon93 Wrote:
Thats a good site ritcho. One thing I didn't do on the alpine was tak
in enough salt, and paid for it going up Buffalo. I really didn'
understand what my body was going through, and even though I wa
drinking lots of water, I now understand that my body was rejecting it
Also helps explain the nausea I experienced. I'm still 1kg down from m
normal body weight (62)

Once again, google was my friend. I ran home from work yesterda
afternoon when it was about 32C and had some symptoms of heat stres
and dehydration. Not nice.

62? What is that - your age? Surely not kg??? You must have flown u
the Alpine climbs!

Ritc

--
ritcho

Old February 8th 05, 11:01 AM
essendon93

ritcho Wrote:
Once again, google was my friend. I ran home from work yesterda
afternoon when it was about 32C and had some symptoms of heat stres
and dehydration. Not nice

62? What is that - your age? Surely not kg??? You must have flown u
the Alpine climbs

Ritch

Yeah thats my weight, 171cm 61 kg
Fitness has alot to do with it, so no I didn't fly, but I guess m
weight is in my favour. I came to a grinding halt on Buffalo, unti
then I was on track for sub 10, which was my original aim. There wasn'
many that were passing me on Tawonga, Falls, but alot flying past on th
downhill (more a lack of confidence from me)

--
essendon93

Old February 8th 05, 11:47 PM
Absent Husband

Thanks for the website tip - actually explained a lot!!

I know I've experienced heat exhaustion only once before... Many years
ago (pre wife & kids!!), I rode up Mt Coot-tha (in BrisVegas) on my
own, at 1pm on a bright hot day at teh start of February. As I recall,
it was about 34 - 35 degrees that day (with reasonable humidity).

After struggling to the top, I remember stumbling off the bike, falling
over near a tree, and spending the next 20 minutes throwing up/dry
retching under a tree. Given that I was a bit of a triathlon superhero
back then, I was pretty freaked out. I sat under a tree in the shade
for almost an hour trying to cool down, and finished off my bidon of
water (the only one I brought on the ride!!).

Then tried to work out how I was going to get home - no water, already
severely dehydrated, feeling light-headed, and lots of hills to go to
my place at Red Hill.... Ended up just being a loooong, slooow ride
back. Took me 30 minutes to get from home to the base of Mt Coot-tha,
but almost 2 hours to get from Mt-Cootha back to home.

When I got back, I stripped off and sat in the shower under the cold
water for about half an hour before I felt well enough to move again.
Needless to say, I've never let myself get that dehydrated again, or
ridden between 11am & 3pm during the warmer months....

Cheers all,
Absent Husband (who nows has a lard-arse to drag up Mt Coot-tha as
well, making it even harder than before!!)

Old February 9th 05, 05:16 AM
jazmo

essendon93 Wrote:
Thats a good site ritcho. One thing I didn't do on the alpine was tak
in enough salt, and paid for it going up Buffalo. I really didn'
understand what my body was going through, and even though I wa
drinking lots of water, I now understand that my body was rejecting it
Also helps explain the nausea I experienced. I'm still 1kg down from m
normal body weight (62)

Here's a story about what you experienced.

http://www.audax.org.au/faq-susscreen.htm

Look at the last story from Michael Carden.

I suggested eating almonds to relieve cramps. This came about through m
partner Joanne suffering leg cramps at the moment, in the second half o
a pregnancy. The usual hydration and stretching only partially helped
The almonds are alleged to alleviate the cramps due to the magnesiu
they contain. It seems as though one of the causes of cramps can be a
imbalance in the levels of things like sodium, potassium, calcium an
magnesium in the body. From the various sources we checked out, w
gather that it's not just the absolute levels of these chemicals, bu
their ratios relative to each other which have an effect on cramping.

The issue of hydration and electrolyte balance prompts me to mentio
this postscript to the Alpine Classic. One of the Canberra crew dow
for the event, young Cath, finished the 200km in fine form and amble
cheerfully back to the motel relating her ride to us. Half an hou
later, she collapsed vomiting at the motel and was unable to keep dow
any water. Her condition rapidly deteriorated as we drove her to th
Bright 'hospital' [actually a private medical centre]. A doctor wa
called in, and decided to transfer her by ambulance to Wangaratta.

Doctors in Wangaratta were very concerned at her incoherence and he
failure to respond to intravenous saline. They spent much of the nigh
in communication with neurologists in Melbourne, and performed 2 C
scans and a lumbar puncture. Cath was not looking good.

By 10:00am on Monday morning though, Cath was walking and talkin
again, albeit with a fuzzy head and a headache.

The best theory so far from the doctors is that Cath drove her sodiu
levels dangerously low during the ride by drinking large volumes o
water, with inadequate intake of salts.

It's a fine line between pleasure and pain...

MC

--
jazmo

Old February 9th 05, 07:12 AM
essendon93

jazmo Wrote:
Here's a story about what you experienced

http://www.audax.org.au/faq-susscreen.ht

Look at the last story from Michael Carden.

Geez that last story from audax is a bit scary, because thats exactl
what I did, large volumes of water with no sodium intake, and I wa
very close to throwing up on Buffalo.

Was that from this years

--
essendon93