Illusion of speed

Old February 6th 05, 09:44 AM
Basil

Default Illusion of speed

How come in my car I can sit on 50 kmh and it feels like I can step outside
and walk as fast.
On the other hand, screaming down a hill on my Road bike at 50kmh, its feels
like whoooosssssssshhhhhhhh faster than lightning, and if I fall off, I am
ancient history.

bazz

Old February 6th 05, 09:59 AM
Alan Erskine

"Basil" wrote in message
How come in my car I can sit on 50 kmh and it feels like I can step

outside
and walk as fast.
On the other hand, screaming down a hill on my Road bike at 50kmh, its

feels
like whoooosssssssshhhhhhhh faster than lightning, and if I fall off, I am
ancient history.

You might notice it more if you had a convertible, but you said it
yourself - "whoooooosssshhh" - the wind effect is part of it. Also, you see
more of the road on a bike than you do in a car as it's that much closer to
your face.

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old February 6th 05, 10:03 AM
John Tserkezis

Basil wrote:

How come in my car I can sit on 50 kmh and it feels like I can step outside
and walk as fast.
On the other hand, screaming down a hill on my Road bike at 50kmh, its feels
like whoooosssssssshhhhhhhh faster than lightning, and if I fall off, I am
ancient history.

Try jumping out of your car while doing 50Km/h. You'll find it feels much
like jumping off a bike at 50.

The wind, and the lack of glass and metal surrounding you would also have
something to do with perception.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622 http://counter.li.org
Old February 6th 05, 12:01 PM
aeek

Basil Wrote:
How come in my car I can sit on 50 kmh and it feels like I can ste
outside
and walk as fast.
On the other hand, screaming down a hill on my Road bike at 50kmh, it
feels
like whoooosssssssshhhhhhhh faster than lightning, and if I fall off,
am
ancient history.

Get into screaming down hills at 70kmh, then 50 doesn't feel fast

--
aeek

Old February 6th 05, 02:24 PM
Bert L.am

"Basil" schreef in bericht
How come in my car I can sit on 50 kmh and it feels like I can step

outside
and walk as fast.
On the other hand, screaming down a hill on my Road bike at 50kmh, its

feels
like whoooosssssssshhhhhhhh faster than lightning, and if I fall off, I am
ancient history.

bazz

The difference is sold to you by the car manufacurers as comfort.
Try jumping of a train, car or bike at 50 and you will feel that it is all
the same type of censored

Bert

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old February 6th 05, 09:47 PM
hippy

Basil wrote:
How come in my car I can sit on 50 kmh and it feels like I can step outside
and walk as fast.
On the other hand, screaming down a hill on my Road bike at 50kmh, its feels
like whoooosssssssshhhhhhhh faster than lightning, and if I fall off, I am
ancient history.

This exact same thread was posted last year:
http://tinyurl.com/6ttg5

Troll on dude..

hippy
Old February 8th 05, 10:19 AM
Bert L.am

"hippy" schreef in bericht
news
Basil wrote:
How come in my car I can sit on 50 kmh and it feels like I can step

outside
and walk as fast.
On the other hand, screaming down a hill on my Road bike at 50kmh, its

feels
like whoooosssssssshhhhhhhh faster than lightning, and if I fall off, I

am
ancient history.

This exact same thread was posted last year:
http://tinyurl.com/6ttg5

Troll on dude..

hippy

I'll killfile him.

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old February 8th 05, 10:32 PM
Shabby

Mark Lee Wrote:
Even my 15 year old son can get up to over 64 kph in a sprint on th
flat.

Mark Lee

http://www.cyclingnews.com/track/200...id=sprint-qual

Hmmmm, a lot of guys can't even do that indoors on a track:

So does that mean he's top 30 in the world (in senior ranks)

--
Shabby