Tire width

Old July 31st 20, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Tire width

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 2:54:42 PM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
wrote:
On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 1:53:05 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 5:10:32 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/20/2020 8:10 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/20/2020 6:34 PM, wrote:
I think we had this discussion before but it is time to revisit it.. I
have been riding Vittoria Corse G+ 25 mm tires. Somehow I had gotten
the idea that these were faster than the 28 mm tires I had been using
5 or so years ago. Well, Since I have been switching over to clinchers
again I got a set of Michelin Power 28 mm clinchers.

There is a sharp descent and a long slightly downhill section I travel
on regularly. There is a radar speed limit sign on this route so that
I can double check my speedo. My speed through this rough area is
normally 24 mph on the sign and about that on my speedo. I just
changed over to the 28 mm tires and did that section and the radar
reported 26 mph through this section. And the fatter tires at a 10 psi
less inflation pressure rode so much smoother that I cannot for the
life of me remember why I changed to the 25's.

Before I had 23's on my Time and you simply could not ride that Time
with 23's on it unless you had a butt of cast iron. When I changed to
the 28's on the Time it was and entirely different bike.

As you probably know, I am 6'4" and 190 lbs so I'm sure there is some
dividing point though I don't know where that might be since the Tour
riders are using 26 mm sew-up tires on their bikes. But I can tell you
I won't make that mistake again and I will be riding 28's from now on.

I don't know but there are more factors such as ambient air pressure and
humidity, wind etc. Also new tires are definitely faster than worn (flat
center) tires.

I wonder if there's data proving that. It's the kind of thing that's
really ripe for the placebo effect: "I put on new tires and they're SO
much better!"

Sort of related: I remember way back when some tires were sold with a
narrower center belt of rubber that protruded farther than the rest of
the tread surface. That center stripe might have been about 10mm wide on
a 32mm tire. As I recall, they were claimed to reduce rolling
resistance. It may have been Jobst who showed they increased it instead.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I ignore all claims comparing different tire widths if the tires are not
the same make and type. Let alone the riding conditions and fitness. That is ridiculous.

Lou

I’ve used Strava for best part of a decade now over quite a few bikes from
old steel bike with down tube shifters, a SS road bike, CX and Gravel bike.

There is surprising little difference, what seems to make the difference is
how fit and how much I’ve tried! The bike within reason makes little
difference.

Don’t get me wrong having a full suspension MTB plus Gravel can be big
differences as the Gravel is fair bit quicker on smoother stuff, but though
it can do it, the MTB can monster down rocky tracks that the Gravel you
have to pick your way through.

In short the rider seems to be the big difference, I notice how tyres feel
but and grip and how robust they are, CX tyres seem to be made of paper
being race tyres! Hence moving to cheaper/heavier hybrid/Gravel tyres that
feel just if not more grippy, my times are static, and the tyres I’ve yet
to rip which is a 1st!

Roger Merriman

Have you or anyone else used Continental 4 Seasons which are supposed to
have more puncture protection than Gatorskins? I bought a set since I
just bought a new set of Campy Clincher wheels. Are the 4 Seasons really
high rolling resistance to the point where you would notice it?

I used them though haven’t for many years, much nicer than the Gatorskins
which unless they have changed dramatically, gave a fairly wooden ride,
plus fairly terrible grip in the wet.

Being critical I’d say that a budget training tyre is fairly close to
4seasons which are better but not that much so.

Roger Merriman

Do you remember the wear characteristics? They are expensive tires and a great deal of that appears to go into making the tire pretty much flat proof under any conditions while the Gatorskin gets sidewall flats.
Old August 1st 20, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

On 7/20/2020 6:34 PM, wrote:
[...]

Can’t remember, I generally didn’t get more than 2k per tyre probably
because I did tend to take the roadie gravely etc which tends to shred
tyres.

Roger Merriman