Vote for the most Boring Olympic event to watch?

Old August 21st 04, 06:11 AM
warren

In article , Sierraman
wrote:

wrote in message
I'll vote for Fencing (all varieties thereof)

I'll tab up the responses and post the results after the Folies are over

--
le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
Six Day Site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

Lawn Bowling, just joking.

------------------------------

List of ten oddest from previous years.

9 Pistol duelling
1906

Note: No silver or bronze medal awarded.
Old August 21st 04, 08:46 AM
Sonarrat

Early rounds of anything.. baseball particularly.

-Sonarrat.

Old August 21st 04, 09:01 AM
Davide Tosi

"Ken Papai" wrote:

"Sam" wrote in message
news
Indoor air rifle.

fencing is pretty cool to me

Shot put -- the more aggro and fatter you are I guess the better.

Not really. Look out for pictures of Wednesday's bronze medalist, Nadine
Kleinert:
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
She's so fat free that she uses a free navel outfit.
Same thing goes for the Atlanta '96 champion, Astrid Kumbernuss.
Nowadays the specialty is dominated by very tall and large shouldered
athletes.

What a joke.

The real jokes are people who talk out of their ass not knowing the matter
they pretend to deal with.

Old August 21st 04, 10:40 AM
Kyle Legate

Davide Tosi wrote:

The most boring stuff is whatever middle distance running event sees 3
Kenyans take the lead after a few meters and keeping it until the end.

No way. Last night the men lined up for the 10km final and I thought, "I
hope they don't show the whole thing," thinking that 25 minutes of watching
these guys go round and round the track would be boring. I was wrong.
Excellent tactics by the Ethiopians to finish top two, with an Olympic
record thrown in. When there were three Ethiopians and a Nigerian in front,
the bike racer in me came out and I told my girlfriend, "the Ethiopians
should start attacking soon and force the Nigerian to chase".

The German commentator revealed how little he knows about endurance events
when he complained throughout the first half of the race that the pace was
disappointingly slow for an Olympic race.

Old August 21st 04, 02:04 PM
Carl Sundquist

"Ken Papai" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message
news
Indoor air rifle.

fencing is pretty cool to me

Shot put -- the more aggro and fatter you are I guess the better.

What a joke.

Brian Oldfield. He was a redneck and had a huge ego and loved to play head
games, but changed the sport by introducing the discus spin to shotputting.

http://www.planetmuscle.com/articles/5_5/brobs.html

'BARNEY' WAS YEARS AHEAD OF HIS TIME

In the years starting about 1972 and actually all the way up to 1986, a new
giant of explosive throwing power had emerged, Brian 'Barney' Oldfield.
Brian had an amazing throw (now about 26-27 years ago) of 75 feet and he was
the first to popularize the discus style spin, now used by shot putters
everywhere.

In the case of Brian Oldfield, here was an example of an irresistible force
kicking the crap out of the immovable object!

Brian's 75-foot record disturbed gravity and still is a standard, even
though his throw was never recognized as an amateur WR because he was part
of the new professional track league at the time. Brian hardly seemed of
this Earth. At 6' 5" and 280 lbs., Brian could power clean and jerk just
under 400 lbs., push-press 315 lbs. 5 times and run a 4.6-sec., 40 yard
dash!

There have ONLY been 3 guys who have thrown further. Randy Barnes is the
best at just 10" beyond Oldfield's toss.

In my opinion, Oldfield was the rawest, most naturally explosive shot putter
in history.

I recall, at the University of Chicago (circa 1974), I competed in the shot
put against Brian. I was throwing about 55 feet when Oldfield, without
removing his sweats, started to warm-up and promptly tossed the 16-lb. shot,
side-arm 63-64 feet (That means with one arm). Then he turned around,
started it between his legs and threw it over his head about 66 feet. All us
peon putters stood there, mouths agape, totally flabbergasted. Many years
later in San Jose, I delivered a steroid lecture to a bunch of track
athletes (including Brian). In the workout afterwards, Brian exceeded 70
feet on 5 separate occasions, but with an 18-lb. shot! While he was
"fouling" on all these throws, he barely teetered over the edge of the ring
on two of them. Again, Oldfield was a "pro" from about 1973 to 1976, and
after the pro ranks were disbanded Brian never seemed to have the same fire
even though he was the top American (amateur again) in the 84 rankings and
continued to throw to 1986.

About the time Oldfield shredded the record, steroids become a hot issue for
the media and steroid testing began in more earnest at the '76 Olympics.
Nonetheless, the great Titans continued to aim towards the Moon.

Old August 21st 04, 03:03 PM
h squared

Sonarrat wrote:

Early rounds of anything.. baseball particularly.

-Sonarrat.

i have to agree with this.

i've mostly enjoyed the coverage of everything i've watched so far.

so far i've seen and liked:
badminton
beach volley ball
fencing
diving
gymnastics
whitewater
swimming*
equestrian
walking (lol)
a few track and field events (they haven't shown too many yet)
i missed the track cycling yesterday, arghh.

*what i find boring is when they show the same kind of stuff over and
over, and none of it matters because it's only a heat for a later heat. yikes.

actually, i think the most boring event to watch was the men's cycling
tt, the way it was presented on t.v. at least. no suspense allowed to
build at all

heather
Old August 21st 04, 03:33 PM
Ronaldo Jeremiah

Women's individual time trial, followed closely by men's ITT.

-RJ
Old August 21st 04, 04:14 PM
lazysegall

Kyle Legate Wrote:
Davide Tosi wrote

The most boring stuff is whatever middle distance running event see

Kenyans take the lead after a few meters and keeping it until th

end

No way. Last night the men lined up for the 10km final and I thought
"
hope they don't show the whole thing," thinking that 25 minutes o
watchin
these guys go round and round the track would be boring. I was wrong
Excellent tactics by the Ethiopians to finish top two, with an Olympi
record thrown in. When there were three Ethiopians and a Nigerian i
front
the bike racer in me came out and I told my girlfriend, "the Ethiopian
should start attacking soon and force the Nigerian to chase"

The German commentator revealed how little he knows about enduranc
event
when he complained throughout the first half of the race that the pac
wa
disappointingly slow for an Olympic race.

I agree, I find it hard for people in a cycling news group to complai
about long distance running. The two both appear pretty boring. I als
don;t know how normal it is but the 10k was extremely tactical an
reminded me of cyclin

--
lazysegall