Problem with New Bike's Horoscope

Old October 28th 04, 09:17 PM
Pat

Elisa, how about noting the serial number, contacting the maker of the
bicycle, and asking them what day it was produced in the factory?

Pat in TX

Old October 28th 04, 10:03 PM
Steph Peters

"Pat" of wrote:

Well, if you ride slowly within the confines of a park, you shouldn't have
any problems...except if you hit the squirrel, I suppose. I wouldn't
hesitate to say that the rest of us ride bicycles in the real world, and not
in the park.

Speak for yourself. My multifarious routes to work, except the chucking it
down only used in emergencies direct route, all include a park. The daily
trundle around a park improves my quality of life. I live in a big city;
the park keeps me in touch with the passing seasons and lets me start my day
with a glimpse of nature and beauty. Definitely a mood improver.
--
Windows is NOT a virus. Viruses DO something.
Steph Peters delete invalid from lid

Old October 28th 04, 10:21 PM
Pat

:
: Well, if you ride slowly within the confines of a park, you shouldn't
have
: any problems...except if you hit the squirrel, I suppose. I wouldn't
: hesitate to say that the rest of us ride bicycles in the real world, and
not
: in the park.
:
: Speak for yourself. My multifarious routes to work, except the chucking
it
: down only used in emergencies direct route, all include a park. The daily
: trundle around a park improves my quality of life. I live in a big city;
: the park keeps me in touch with the passing seasons and lets me start my
day
: with a glimpse of nature and beauty. Definitely a mood improver.
: Steph Peters

I was talking about the real world which includes traffic. Not just riding
in the park at slow speeds looking at squirrels and toddlers. I didn't say
it didn't improve your quality of life. But, that's not what the OP was
talking about.

Pat in TX

Old October 28th 04, 10:47 PM
R15757

Tom Keats wrote:

I have to agree. If by 'soul' we're refering to some
animating force or principle, a bicycle by itself just
doesn't have one, not even on some sort of mechanical
nephesch-ish level, like with Asimov's robots.
The rider is the bicycle's animus. The rider's soul
is the bicycle's soul.

Tom, I feel something different about bikes. I think the
bike is infused with soul simply in the act of becoming
a bike. Even robot-built bikes have a soul, some bikes
are deeply infused with the soul of a builder, like their
children. It is not the rider which gives the bicycle its
soul, rather the bike and rider are a team. The bike is
your best friend and should be treated as such.

Robert

Old October 29th 04, 12:57 AM
Maggie

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote in message ...
Maggie wrote:

Why is bike riding so complex on this newsgroup?

It probably isn't, but that you've happened on a few obsessive-compulsive nut-cases.

EFR
Ile de France

I was discussing this with a friend this evening over a few vodka
tonics. We decided that the world has changed and everything that was
once simple is now hi-tech. He is into archery...when he was young,
there was the bow, the arrow, and the target. Now its gadgets and
wind velocity and intellectual conversations on a very once simple
sport. He told me to get on my bike, put my feet on the pedals, point
myself in a safe direction and ride the way I rode when I was ten. He
said I will have much more fun. It is fascinating to see how complex a
sport can become if you let it. I think we tend to make everything
complex today. Maybe I did catch an obsessive-compulsive thread and
maybe opening my mind to the intellectual side of bike riding is a
good thing. But I doubt it. I think I will get just ride it. But
maybe I will wait for the vodka tonics to wear off. ;-) Do you get
an RUI when you "ride under the influence"? I think I will wait until
the morning and hop on my Walmart Special.
Peace
Old October 29th 04, 05:28 AM
Claire Petersky

"Maggie" wrote in message
om...
But no one
is going to make me wear those silly biking clothes. Are they made out
of rubber???

Maggie, 'way back when, when I was a jeans and sneakers style cyclist, I saw
a guy at the LBS wearing the most outlandish get-up I ever saw. Black
tights, a high vis chartreuse vest, black booties, weird wrap around
sunglasses, cleats that he couldn't walk in. I thought, god, it takes all
kinds.

But you know, you pedal a few miles, and you find out that real bike shorts
are a lot more comfortable than jeans. And that tight, stretchy clothing is
a lot more comfortable than loose, non-stretchy clothing. Clipless pedals
are so much more efficient than not having them, such that you can't imagine
how you ever rode with a flat pedal and sneakers. And that when motorists
can see you, then they do their best to avoid you, and so you find high
visibility colors and fabrics to wear because it makes you safer. Your feet
get cold and wet after a long ride, and so you seek out neoprene booties to
keep your feet nice and dry, no matter how hard its raining. Wrap around
sunglasses keep crap out of your eyes and you don't get migraines from glare
any more. And poof! You're that weirdo you saw in the LBS years ago.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old October 29th 04, 11:02 AM
Maggie

Zoot Katz wrote in message
"It occurred to me that the greatest value of our bikes is that they
lead us to deeper enquiry. They carry us to new places within
ourselves. We learn very real things about our internal physical
functions. They expose the wonderous workings of our body/mind while
connecting us in the outer world. They take us there under our own
power at our own pace. Bicycles become our teachers and healers and
friends. They guide us through the greater world by prompting us with
questions and encouragement. Bicycles motivate us through the realms
of science, sociology and spirituality whether carrying us to the
corner or around the world. All we have to do is ride them. That's a
damn good deal."

It is nearing 6:00 a.m. and I am going to go out and just pedal that
cheap bike of mine. I am so glad to hear that this group is not made
up of only young people. It gives me encouragement. Back in the
Day...(I love saying that)...I used to think too much. It was
required in the 60's. I would sit with my friends and overthink every
aspect of life. Considering everyone was in fear of the draft and we
were trying to change the world we DEFINATELY thought alot. Then I
married and had three kids...at that point it was hard to think where
I left my other shoe and my socks never matched. Sometimes I would
think about where socks go after you put them into the washer but that
was about it. Raising three kids reduces the intellectual brain
function you once had and significantly reduces the amount of FREE
TIME you have. I once had dreams of becoming a writer and living in a
loft in the village and here I was in Suburbia putting on snowsuits
and trying to find socks while packing a Dukes of Hazard lunchbox.
Now thats over....the kids have grown and I am free again. Free to
ride my bike through the greater world, I think that is a really DAMN
GOOD DEAL. A DAMN GOOD DEAL!!!! Thanks. Maybe I will start writing
again as well. I did my time in the trenches......Its time to connect
to the outer world once more.....Now if I could only figure out how to
earn a living without doing the 9 to 5 thing. Then I would really be
free to be.
Peace and Stuff... :-)
Old October 29th 04, 12:45 PM
Chris Malcolm

Elisa Francesca Roselli writes:

OK, I am a Very Superstitious Person. Especially as relates to all
things bike because this is an area like love, gambling and sea-voyages,
fraught with uncertainty, hazard and fear, and in the hands of
capricious gods.

I was hoping it would arrive today or tomorrow because the transiting
planets are quite well-placed in relation to my own natal chart.
However, there are two factors, the Moon placement and the
Ascendant/House Cusps, which depend on the _exact_ time and place of
birth and cannot be estimated just on the basis of the day.

I hope you've considered the progressions and transits as well. If
you're worried about accidents transits are particularly important, and
should be referred to both the bike's chart and yours.

I signed the delivery note for Flyzipper, for such is his name, at 11:55
am, and am taking that as the time of his "birth".

To my dismay, the chart cast for that time has the Moon sitting on the
worst degree of the whole zodiac - under the influence of an evil Fixed
Star called Scheat which just happens to symbolize extreme danger,
injury, violent - especially transport related - death, murder, suicide,
drowning, imprisonment and confinement.

However illogical it may seem to you, I know I will _NOT_ be able to get
on a bike with this Moon placement. I freak out at the very thought.

All you need to do is to take the bike to bits, bury the chain
(protected in a plastic bag) in a river or stream to cancel influence,
and assemble it again at a moment of your choice.

I did open the box to make sure the right bike was in it, but as I said,
the bike is still packed. On the box it says in big letters:

"Attention"
"Before your first ride, you must have your bike thoroughly checked and
adjusted by a professional bicycle technician. This final adjustment
will activate your warranty and ensure that your bicycle is optimally
adjusted for safety and performance".

I phoned the dealers and they said my LBS-man should sign or stamp the
warranty when he has checked the bike and that this will be acceptable
as an "activation". I wonder if I can persuade myself that the bike will
not be "born" until that happens, or until I collect and pay for it
(presumably the LBS-man will charge a fee for the adjustments,
especially since I did not buy the bike from him). But every time I try
that it seems like intellectual dishonesty, cheating.

You wonder if you can persuade *yourself*? I don't think you're taking
this seriously enough! It doesn't matter a damn what you believe, what
matters is what the gods believe!

Your reasoning is ridiculous. If a woman pays a fertility clinic for a
sperm sample you wouldn't claim the kid's natal chart ought to be
dated on the signing of the check, would you?

Be logical!
--
Chris Malcolm +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
[

Where are the inexpensive steel bikes? Werehatrack Techniques 32 June 24th 04 05:04 PM
Why are bikes such a problem on airlines? Janet Rides 18 March 25th 04 12:51 AM
Mutant Road Bikes Dave Mayer General 29 March 12th 04 05:48 AM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 12:16 PM
£40,000 of Giant bikes stolen -Little Tricycle Pink Pink 10" David L Mountain Biking 0 November 5th 03 10:06 PM