Cycling Holiday Tours - Any Recommendations?

Old October 6th 03, 03:37 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Default Cycling Holiday Tours - Any Recommendations?

I find myself dreaming at my workdesk of a cycling holiday around some
beautiful region of France or the UK or Middle Europe. I would need
fairly easy riding wih a good backup system in a relatively cool season
(the 40 degree summer of 2003 NO THANK YOU!) and would be going for
comfort not competition. A little afraid to go on my own but rather
hostile to the schmoozy "family-friendliness" of so many organized
tours. I prefer the company of quiet, cultured Childfree grown-ups.

I've been doing some internet research and will continue to come up with
some leads. But does anyone have any recommendations? Or is anyone
thinking along similar lines?

Elisa Francesca Roselli
Ile de France

Old October 6th 03, 06:06 PM
trg

How about the Loire Valley in Spring? (Go in May when you can profit from
all the jours feriés) I don't know what exists as far organized bike tours,
but having done quite a bit of motorcycle touring in the area, I've always
thought it would make for great cyclotourism. An easy train ride from Paris.
Lots to see (chateaux and vineyards abound, never had a problem finding
accomadations.)

Old October 6th 03, 08:15 PM
Gary Smiley

About two years ago I was sitting at my workdesk thinking of exactly the
same thing. I found another member of my bicycle club to come along with me,
and we toured through Province, the Riviera, and Tuscany (in early June,
2002). We saved a lot of money by not going with a tour company. My tour's
site is he http://biketour.garysmiley.com .
My suggestion is to join a local bicycle club- that would be a good place to
find fellow cyclists who would want to tour with you, and you will benefit
from their experience as well. There are a lot of self-supported tour sites
on the Web. The best-known is "Trento Bike Pages" at
http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/ . Good luck!

Old October 7th 03, 09:35 AM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

May would be ideal with all the jours feries, but I lived for 10 years in Tours,
and have pretty much "done" the Loire Valley to death, albeit not by bicycle.
I'm game for some other part of France (particularly Cathar country, as I have
some ideological points of affinity with Cathars, and feel I should pledge my
solidarity ...) or the UK, Scotland, Germany, Middle Europe, Scandinavia.

I found these links that excite me:

http://www.firstlightbicycling.com/
They have some great British tours and tours through Romantic (with a capital R)
Durmstrang type of country (Austria, Bohemia, Transylvania ...)

http://www.cycletreks.com/
Unspoilt temperate rain forests of British Columbia

http://www.valac.nl/biking-france.html
Cathar territory, but it might be a little rigorous for me.

http://www.bikecentral.net/Links/Tours/index.shtml
Links to other sites

But what I'm really looking for is not so much the Internet links as lone,
civilized ladies or even gentlemen who might want to come with me. Thought this
would be as good a place to enquire as another.

EFR

Old October 7th 03, 12:22 PM
trg

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
May would be ideal with all the jours feries, but I lived for 10
years in Tours, and have pretty much "done" the Loire Valley to
death, albeit not by bicycle. I'm game for some other part of France
(particularly Cathar country, as I have some ideological points of
affinity with Cathars, and feel I should pledge my solidarity ...) or
the UK, Scotland, Germany, Middle Europe, Scandinavia.

I found these links that excite me:

http://www.firstlightbicycling.com/
They have some great British tours and tours through Romantic (with a
capital R) Durmstrang type of country (Austria, Bohemia, Transylvania
...)

http://www.cycletreks.com/
Unspoilt temperate rain forests of British Columbia

http://www.valac.nl/biking-france.html
Cathar territory, but it might be a little rigorous for me.

http://www.bikecentral.net/Links/Tours/index.shtml
Links to other sites

But what I'm really looking for is not so much the Internet links as
lone, civilized ladies or even gentlemen who might want to come with
me. Thought this would be as good a place to enquire as another.

EFR

In that case, I suggest Ireland (again, I've done it on motorcycle, but not
on bicycle). It's georgeous, the people are super, there are reasonably
priced B&B s everywhere. No mountains that can't be avoided. Only problem is
that it has been known to rain on occasion.

Denmark is cyclists paradise. Pretty flat, bike lanes everywhere, very bike
aware (drivers too), no language problem. Wind can be a problem, especially
on the west coast. Go only between July and mid August.

Old October 7th 03, 01:15 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

trg wrote:

In that case, I suggest Ireland (again, I've done it on motorcycle, but not
on bicycle). It's georgeous, the people are super, there are reasonably
priced B&B s everywhere. No mountains that can't be avoided. Only problem is
that it has been known to rain on occasion.

Denmark is cyclists paradise. Pretty flat, bike lanes everywhere, very bike
aware (drivers too), no language problem. Wind can be a problem, especially
on the west coast. Go only between July and mid August.

Two good ideas. But why Denmark only between July and August? I am intolerant of
any temperature over 30 Celsius.

EFR

Old October 7th 03, 01:27 PM
trg

trg wrote:

In that case, I suggest Ireland (again, I've done it on motorcycle,
but not on bicycle). It's georgeous, the people are super, there are
reasonably priced B&B s everywhere. No mountains that can't be
avoided. Only problem is that it has been known to rain on occasion.

Denmark is cyclists paradise. Pretty flat, bike lanes everywhere,
very bike aware (drivers too), no language problem. Wind can be a
problem, especially on the west coast. Go only between July and mid
August.

Two good ideas. But why Denmark only between July and August? I am
intolerant of any temperature over 30 Celsius.

EFR

It never really gets over 30 in Denmark even in the middle of summer. (This
August a Danish friend boasted that the weather forecast that it might get
up to 30. I responded that in Paris it was forecast that it might get down
to 30.) It can be rather cold and rainy anytime, best bet is in july to end
of august.

Old October 8th 03, 05:18 AM
Bill

Recommend Austria - particularly the cycle trip down the side of the Danube;
seven days of easy cycling, magnificent views and culture. Great food and
the beer is unforgettable. German border to Vienna; is a well known and
advertised route.

Old October 9th 03, 10:48 AM
Pablo muñoz

I recommend Spain with www.bravobike.com great tours at a very reasonable
price

Old October 11th 03, 03:53 PM
mark

"Elisa Francesca Roselli" wrote ...
I find myself dreaming at my workdesk of a cycling holiday around some
beautiful region of France or the UK or Middle Europe. I would need
fairly easy riding wih a good backup system in a relatively cool season
(the 40 degree summer of 2003 NO THANK YOU!) and would be going for
comfort not competition. A little afraid to go on my own but rather
hostile to the schmoozy "family-friendliness" of so many organized
tours. I prefer the company of quiet, cultured Childfree grown-ups.

I've been doing some internet research and will continue to come up with
some leads. But does anyone have any recommendations? Or is anyone
thinking along similar lines?

Elisa Francesca Roselli
Ile de France

Take the plunge and go on your own. The Salzburg region of Austria is
scenic, not too expensive, and laced with bike paths. Lots of hotels,
pensions, and hostels, most of which are packed with skiers all winter long,
and offer cheaper rates in the summer. A very common tactic is to take a
train to the upper end of a mountain valley and bicycle back downhill to the
lower end.
--
mark