Avocet Touring Tires

Old July 29th 04, 02:53 AM
Don DeMair

Default Avocet Touring Tires

I'm looking for a good touring tire. One that will be puncture resistant,
especially in the rain. I've tried the Specialized Armadillo and was pretty
happy with it, I may buy it again. The other tire I tried was the
Continental Top Touring. I found this tire to ride a bit harsh.

I would prefer a slick tire (without a tread pattern) because I think the
inverted tread actually catches debris and may lead to more flats. I also
don't believe that tread pattern does anything to improve wet or dry grip on
the road. And I don't use my touring bike off-road.

Right now, I'm considering the Avocet FasGrip Duro Plus. Probably in a
700x32. Anyone have experience with this tire?

-Don

Old July 29th 04, 03:00 AM
David N. Makinson

I use the road and crit versions of the FasGrip and find them to be
excellent. I would expect the 32mm to be also.

David

Old July 29th 04, 03:45 AM
David Reuteler

Don DeMair wrote:
Right now, I'm considering the Avocet FasGrip Duro Plus. Probably in a
700x32. Anyone have experience with this tire?

i've used the duro version (28mm) quite a bit in the past 2 years & and i have
mixed feelings about it. it's a *NICE* tire, but it nicks up rather easily
and somewhat less than half have worn out before i couldn't boot 'em. that
may have been a bad batch, got me. they also don't do well against the
dreaded goathead thorn but then again, nothing does. i'd forego the kevlar
(it made no difference as far as i could tell and i used both). off-hand
i'd say less than average for flat resistance.

i hate conti tt2ks and the avocet cross iis i liked allright (rode those on a
5400 mile tour). fwiw, i'll be touring on the 28mm duro later this summer
for a couple of weeks (they're letting me have a vacation this year!).

i don't have to quit for time off!!

!!!!

!!!!!!!!
--
david reuteler

Old July 29th 04, 04:12 PM
Richard Amirault

"Don DeMair" wrote ...
I'm looking for a good touring tire. One that will be puncture resistant,
especially in the rain. I've tried the Specialized Armadillo and was

pretty
happy with it, I may buy it again. The other tire I tried was the
Continental Top Touring. I found this tire to ride a bit harsh.

I would prefer a slick tire (without a tread pattern) because I think the
inverted tread actually catches debris and may lead to more flats. I also
don't believe that tread pattern does anything to improve wet or dry grip

on
the road. And I don't use my touring bike off-road.

I use the Avocet Cross Kevlar for commuting on my mountain bike for years ..
works great .. never got a puncture.

While a slick tire would certain improve traction on dry roads ... I don't
see why you think a tread won't improve wet road traction ... unless your
tire "contact point" is so small and your speed is so slow that you would
not hydroplane in puddles. In the automotive (and motorcycle) world the
main (if not the only) reason for tread in a street tire is for wet weather
use.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

Old July 29th 04, 04:26 PM
Sheldon Brown

"Don DeMair" wrote ...

Richard Amirault wrote:

While a slick tire would certain improve traction on dry roads ... I don't
see why you think a tread won't improve wet road traction ... unless your
tire "contact point" is so small and your speed is so slow that you would
not hydroplane in puddles. In the automotive (and motorcycle) world the
main (if not the only) reason for tread in a street tire is for wet weather
use.

Hydroplaning is an issue for cars and motorcycles (though a rare one: in
my 44 years of driving, I've only experienced hydroplaning once.)

However, hydroplaning is impossible for bicycles, so this is a non-issue.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_h.html#hydroplaning for a detailed
explanation of this.

Sheldon "Baldy" Brown
| Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees |
| things as they are, not as they ought to be. |
| --Ambrose Bierce |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old July 29th 04, 04:48 PM
DRS

"Don DeMair" wrote in message

I'm looking for a good touring tire. One that will be puncture
resistant, especially in the rain. I've tried the Specialized
Armadillo and was pretty happy with it, I may buy it again. The
other tire I tried was the Continental Top Touring. I found this
tire to ride a bit harsh.

I would prefer a slick tire (without a tread pattern) because I think
the inverted tread actually catches debris and may lead to more
flats. I also don't believe that tread pattern does anything to
improve wet or dry grip on the road. And I don't use my touring bike
off-road.

Absolutely the same reasons I turfed the horrible "hybrid" tyres my bike
came with and went for the Avocets.

Right now, I'm considering the Avocet FasGrip Duro Plus. Probably in
a 700x32. Anyone have experience with this tire?

I have the 32K FasGrips. I love them but I've only had them a couple of
months so I can't really comment on durability.

--

A: Top-posters.