Johan/Armstrong/Contador setting stage for epic 1st stage

Old July 4th 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist[_3_]

Default Johan/Armstrong/Contador setting stage for epic 1st stage

sutartsorric wrote:
On 3 July, 19:44, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team...ssue-at-astana

A month ago I wouldn't have thought there to be the slightest chance
Lance could win the first time trial. But now, I just don't see him
conceding any time whatsoever to Contador.

Thanks for that, another person to completely ignore in future.

That would have been an courageous comment 2 hours earlier. Now you're
just a gutless hindsight pussy.
Old July 4th 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message
news
sutartsorric wrote:
On 3 July, 19:44, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team...ssue-at-astana

A month ago I wouldn't have thought there to be the slightest chance
Lance could win the first time trial. But now, I just don't see him
conceding any time whatsoever to Contador.

Thanks for that, another person to completely ignore in future.

That would have been an courageous comment 2 hours earlier. Now you're
just a gutless hindsight pussy.

It will be interesting to see how the next hour plays out, and try to
figure out whether it really mattered to go early and not have an idea
of what a good time is or not. Levi seemed to have a pretty darned good
idea that his own time wasn't what he would have liked. Contador is now
in a can't-lose situation (unless he REALLY sucks).

Lance might still end up top-10 (10th?) but I'm guessing 13th or so.
Respectable, but humbling.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old July 4th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
nobody

sutartsorric wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking Cancellara will win this ITT with a sub-19:45 time.

Old July 4th 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
sutartsorric

On Jul 4, 5:44*pm, Carl Sundquist wrote:
sutartsorric wrote:
On 3 July, 19:44, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team...ssue-at-astana

A month ago I wouldn't have thought there to be the slightest chance
Lance could win the first time trial. But now, I just don't see him
conceding any time whatsoever to Contador.

Thanks for that, another person to completely ignore in future.

That would have been an courageous comment 2 hours earlier. Now you're
just a gutless hindsight pussy.

Why would it have been courageous before the TT started?

Because it disagreed with all the pro-Armstrong hype that is just so
up itself it cannot see what the non-biased observer has known for
months?

Namely, that predicting Armstrong to win any stage when he is up
against riders 10-15 years younger than him is just plain stupidity.
I watched him in the Giro and was seriously unimpressed, broken
shoulder or not.

Yes he won 7 Tours in a row, and will go down as one of the all time
greats, but to think that nothing has changed since 2005 is really
just laughable.

Old July 4th 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

sutartsorric wrote:

Yes he won 7 Tours in a row, and will go down as one of the all time
greats, but to think that nothing has changed since 2005 is really
just laughable.

Someone accused you of being gutless, and you're refuting it by
disagreeing with a straw man argument that no one has supported?

Disagreeing with no one, that IS impressive! I guess you're NOT a
gutless pussy after all.
Old July 5th 09, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

sutartsorric wrote:
[...]

Head-In-Clouds,

Bob Schwartz has been saying for quite a while
that LANCE is the second best stage racer on his
own team. *That's making a prediction. *It may be
an obvious prediction, but it still carries the risk,
however minute, of being wrong.

Everyone can be wrong, whether mindless LANCE fan
or not. *However, appearing from nowhere to trash-talk
after the results are in gets no respect, even if your
opinions are well-founded. *Victory has a thousand
fathers, defeat is an orphan, et cetera.

Ben

Appearing from nowhere? Please. He's been fine tuning his mad Usenet
trash talking skills for a while in gardening newsgroups.

Old July 5th 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_4_]

sutartsorric wrote:
[...]

My target for that has been the fanbois, of which there are
many on rbr. Even the obvious predictions can seen outrageous
to the fanbois. But I don't consider myself to be very good
at interpreting strategy, I base my calls on history. When
LANCE came out of retirement, history says that 37 year old
guys don't win grand tours.

But older riders can win KOMs so I think that history looks
favorably on LANCE in polka dots. The last time we saw a
veteran rider with multiple wins on the same team as the most
promising younger rider, that's how it turned out. It's a
nice consolation prize for the veteran rider. History says
so.

Here's an example. Recent history says that a Garmin rider
will finish in the Zabel position close to the stage winner.
So history says Farrar will take 3rd today, and Garmin will
finish 2nd in the TTT on Tuesday. We'll see how it goes, but
no one should have been surprised to see Wiggins in 3rd on
Stage 1. Garmin has been doing that a lot.

Bob Schwartz
Old July 5th 09, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_4_]

Bob Schwartz wrote:
Here's an example. Recent history says that a Garmin rider
will finish in the Zabel position close to the stage winner.
So history says Farrar will take 3rd today, and Garmin will
finish 2nd in the TTT on Tuesday. We'll see how it goes, but
no one should have been surprised to see Wiggins in 3rd on
Stage 1. Garmin has been doing that a lot.

Bob Schwartz

I'm such a dumbass, he didn't take 3rd. Don't pay any
attention to me.

Bob Schwartz
Old July 5th 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

Bob Schwartz wrote:
I'm such a dumbass, he didn't take 3rd. Don't pay any attention to me.

We normally only respond to your bots.
Old July 5th 09, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
,
RicodJour wrote:

On Jul 4, 5:42Â*pm, "
wrote:
On Jul 4, 12:10Â*pm, sutartsorric wrote:

On Jul 4, 5:44Â*pm, Carl Sundquist wrote:

sutartsorric wrote:
[...]

own team. Â*That's making a prediction. Â*It may be
an obvious prediction, but it still carries the risk,
however minute, of being wrong.

Everyone can be wrong, whether mindless LANCE fan
or not. Â*However, appearing from nowhere to trash-talk
after the results are in gets no respect, even if your
opinions are well-founded. Â*Victory has a thousand
fathers, defeat is an orphan, et cetera.

Ben

Appearing from nowhere? Please. He's been fine tuning his mad Usenet
trash talking skills for a while in gardening newsgroups.

That is a rough crowd. Death on snails, grubs, and other larvae.
No wonder he washed up on these sunny, idyllic shores.

--
Michael Press