which torque wrench?

Old August 29th 06, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve Watkin

Default which torque wrench?

"Mike Causer" wrote in message
newsan.2006.08.29.10.47.39.98410@firstnamelastna me.com.invalid...
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:24:36 +0000, Peter wrote:

If you've never used a torque wrench, then just how tight should the
below
feel (using standard sized spanners/allen keys)?

5-7 Nm (eg front mech and cleat bolts)

Just tight

9-11Nm (eg stem clamp bolts)

Just tight, then small amount of pressure more

35Nm (eg pedal to crank)

Well tight

50Nm(eg bottom bracket)

With a normal sized spanner quite an effort but not putting your full
weight on it.

Mike

The one that normally fools me is the 14mm crank bolts because they are
pulling on to a taper it always feels like the bolt is just about to shear!!
How do you judge that?

SW

Old August 29th 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Steve Watkin wrote:
snip
The one that normally fools me is the 14mm crank bolts because they are
pulling on to a taper it always feels like the bolt is just about to shear!!
How do you judge that?

Almost as tight as you can get without over-exerting yourself when
holding the spanner in one hand and the opposite crank in the other
hand. :-) If the crank is well matched to the axle and everything is
absolutely free of grease you shouldn't have a problem with over-
tightening.
Old August 29th 06, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Steve Watkin wrote on 29/08/2006 12:01 +0100:

The one that normally fools me is the 14mm crank bolts because they are
pulling on to a taper it always feels like the bolt is just about to shear!!
How do you judge that?

I think the phrase coined by Brandt Richards of On-One Cycles for that
level of torque says it perfectly - "******* tight"

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old August 29th 06, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"mb" wrote in message

People still use taper cranks? How quaint. Hollowtech II is the way to
go.

Find me a crankset then. I want 180mm threaded for RH pedal, no chainrings,
180mm LH pedal, single chainring, 160mm LH pedal single chainring, 160mm RH
pedal triple chainring, pref 110/74 BCD.

D'you think I'm asking too much here?

cheers,
clive

Old August 29th 06, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"mb" wrote in message
Clive George wrote:

"mb" wrote in message

People still use taper cranks? How quaint. Hollowtech II is the way
to go.

Find me a crankset then. I want 180mm threaded for RH pedal, no
chainrings, 180mm LH pedal, single chainring, 160mm LH pedal single
chainring, 160mm RH pedal triple chainring, pref 110/74 BCD.

D'you think I'm asking too much here?

You want a chainring on the left? Wossat for?

Actually I want two chainrings on the left. Count how many cranks I want -
this should give you a pretty good clue about the sort of bike I'm talking
about.

cheers,
clive

Old August 29th 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

mb wrote:
Clive George wrote:

"mb" wrote in message

People still use taper cranks? How quaint. Hollowtech II is the way
to go.

Find me a crankset then. I want 180mm threaded for RH pedal, no
chainrings, 180mm LH pedal, single chainring, 160mm LH pedal single
chainring, 160mm RH pedal triple chainring, pref 110/74 BCD.

D'you think I'm asking too much here?

You want a chainring on the left? Wossat for?

Left hand drive bike.

Come on mb, engage brain. Why does he want ***2*** sets of cranks.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old August 29th 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"mb" wrote in message
Clive George wrote:

"mb" wrote in message
Clive George wrote:

"mb" wrote in message

People still use taper cranks? How quaint. Hollowtech II is the

way to go.

Find me a crankset then. I want 180mm threaded for RH pedal, no
chainrings, 180mm LH pedal, single chainring, 160mm LH pedal
single chainring, 160mm RH pedal triple chainring, pref 110/74
BCD.

D'you think I'm asking too much here?

You want a chainring on the left? Wossat for?

Actually I want two chainrings on the left. Count how many cranks I
want - this should give you a pretty good clue about the sort of bike
I'm talking about.

Oi, you never said it was for the same bike.

I did - I said crankset.

Yes, BTW, you're asking too much.

Yes, for shimano - that's why Hollowtech II isn't the way to go :-)

Of course all these new fangled ones with clamps rather than splines make
life even harder - at least when the left and right hand mountings were the
same some engineering could be used to bodge it. And of course there's the
problem that the volumes shimano deal with probably mean the lengths I want
are out too :-(

cheers,
clive

Old August 29th 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Geraint Jones wrote:
Mike Causer wrote:
| Just tight
| Just tight, then small amount of pressure more
| Well tight
| With a normal sized spanner quite an effort but not putting your full
| weight on it.

The catch is that, like the "thumb" that measures your tyre pressure,
someone has to calibrate this scale. I learned how tight to tighten
various things (including, pace Harry Kroto's praise of Meccano, water
taps) from my father (who used to build the jigs for airbus wings...).
However some adults achieve do-it-yourself bicycle maintenance without
having had the calibration such an education bestows. I know, I married
one, and I am still calibrating her (and going around tightening bottom
brackets after her).

I would say that for a particularly uncalibrated adult with
expensive bike bits that a torque wrench was the way to go.

One key thing is to use the right size spanner - no not that
end you fool the other end:-) If it is light and delicate
use a light and delicate spanner/tool. Not a 1/2 drive ratchet
handle with two adaptors down to 1/4 drive and then a 2mm
allen key in the end.

Buying something cheap to play with, even just some nuts
and bolts and set about wrecking them, might be an idea.
Get a scrap bike even, have a bit of a practise
then tighten everything up until it breaks. You then
know how much is too tight. For almost everything
just a bit less than that is what will be needed.

Pay attention to the materials.

Old August 29th 06, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:56:05 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

I think the phrase coined by Brandt Richards of On-One Cycles for that
level of torque says it perfectly - "******* tight"

I think I'd reserve that for things like the Mini clutch, 150lbs-ft
IIRCWLIU

Nothing on a bike is /that/ *******.

Mike

Torque Wrench Recommendations For Bike Work? Ken Techniques 2 May 30th 06 02:57 AM
Torque wrench question PJay Techniques 37 November 3rd 05 03:42 AM
Easton EA70 stem AC Techniques 10 November 17th 04 07:00 AM
Torque wrench for BBs Paul Davis UK 12 August 11th 04 12:12 AM
Torque Concept versus Torque Measurement Calvin Jones Techniques 2 April 8th 04 05:23 PM