Assembly of Di2

Old January 31st 20, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Assembly of Di2

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 9:43:42 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
It occurs to me that I should install the hydraulic brakes before I attach the electronic wiring. What do you think?

Andrew, Jay, Lou - do any of you guys know of the interconnectibility of the parts? Does it matter if the ST-EWxxB is a 67 or 80?
Old January 31st 20, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/31/2020 2:35 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 9:43:42 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
It occurs to me that I should install the hydraulic brakes before I attach the electronic wiring. What do you think?

Andrew, Jay, Lou - do any of you guys know of the interconnectibility of the parts? Does it matter if the ST-EWxxB is a 67 or 80?

My Di2 tech says you can mix-n-match among Ultegra and DA
components of the same generation but not across generations.

Does what you wrote above mean that you have a mix of ten
and eleven speed equipment? That won't fly.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 31st 20, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 9:35:31 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 9:43:42 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
It occurs to me that I should install the hydraulic brakes before I attach the electronic wiring. What do you think?

Andrew, Jay, Lou - do any of you guys know of the interconnectibility of the parts? Does it matter if the ST-EWxxB is a 67 or 80?

Tom, my setup from early 2014 on my crossbike consist of:
SM-BTR2 (internal battery)
SM- EW90-A (stem unit 3 ports),
FD 6870
RD 6870-GS
ST-R785-L (left shifter for hydraulic disks)
ST-R785-R (right shifter for hydraulic disks).
It is a 11 speed gruppo. I never heard of SM-EW67-A-E so I googled it. It looks different to my SM-EW90-A(3 port) or B(5 port).
On the Rose website:
https://www.rosebikes.nl/shimano-di2...elerbox-601605
it says that this unit can be used in combination with Ultegra 6770 after removing the SM-EW67-A-E so it is downward compatible. It seems that a SM-EW67-A-E is not upward compatible so you have to buy a SM-EW-90-A unit for your shifters.

Lou
Old January 31st 20, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 9:35:11 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 4:35:31 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 1:14:52 AM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
Maybe this little charmer from the local Ti builder. https://www.ticycles.com/products-bi...m-all-arounder

Are you kidding me? $1950 for a frame without a fork?

I was going to link to the Ti frame I think Lou is buying, but that might cause too much of a shock to many here. Like I said, the purchase will affect the USA/NL trade balance. But one is allowed to buy fine titanium toys so long as one's wife doesn't complain. Personally, the Utopia is far to Byzantine for me and my CAAD X swamp-mobile is fine enough. It's such a dog now with the fat rubber and dyno hub. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7kgzgcqe5s

-- Jay Beattie.

;-) According to my dealer frame is ready to ship next week.

Lou
Old January 31st 20, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 1:07:15 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Well, You seem to have exactly the same setup I have. The only thing I don't know is the actual number of the stem unit. ALL of the ten speed units used the wired controller as far as I know. But the EW6870B and the EW8070B look alike as far as I can tell. It as Andrew says, they are no compatible then perhaps that is what my problem is.
Old January 31st 20, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 1:12:21 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Mine will get here next Friday.
Old January 31st 20, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 12:49:34 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/31/2020 2:35 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 9:43:42 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
It occurs to me that I should install the hydraulic brakes before I attach the electronic wiring. What do you think?

Andrew, Jay, Lou - do any of you guys know of the interconnectibility of the parts? Does it matter if the ST-EWxxB is a 67 or 80?

My Di2 tech says you can mix-n-match among Ultegra and DA
components of the same generation but not across generations.

Does what you wrote above mean that you have a mix of ten
and eleven speed equipment? That won't fly.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Andrew - as you can see from Lou's parts list, he is using an EW90A which is a large upgrade from the EW68A. I know that the DuraAce components wire differently since the "DuraAce external wiring kit" I bought has totally different connectors on it.

Now that I think about it, I did take my parts down to Robinson's Wheel Works and Robby (old Seven-11 team mechanic) said that all of the parts were compatible but that they couldn't be upgraded. By this I think that he meant that you couldn't download improved firmware.
Old January 31st 20, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/31/2020 4:01 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

As I've mentioned here many times (hey Valentino! wake up!)
one thing Shimano does very well is mark the actual part
number on every component.

Old February 1st 20, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 3:34:23 PM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 2:07:59 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 1:14:52 AM UTC, jbeattie wrote:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the best rain bike would be a wildly expensive IGH with discs, fenders -- probably chain drive. I'm not sold on belts, but they may be fine.

Ahem. Once you have IGH, *the* right option is a KMC chain running for its entire life on the factory lube inside a Hebie Chainglider, zero cleaning, zero lubing, zero service. If you haven't read this report from where I hang out with real cyclists, you will be amazed at what about fifty bucks worth of hard German reinforced rubber can do for you:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index....42349#msg42349
Much more about chain cases and the Chainglider in particular on that forum availble through the search engine.

Actually, my next rain commuter is going to be an eBike so I can blow the doors off the unsuspecting rubes creeping up the hills on their non-eBikes.

An agreeable e-bike commuter is 250 or 350W, quite powerful enough unless you're the size of an elephant. Those 750W monsters that are legal in the US require too much attention when you're riding in traffic, either with cars or other cyclists. The best plan is to buy a motor kit with control elements and a battery, rather than one of the ready-made ebikes for commuters, which are dull. If you can remove and fit a bottom bracket, you can do the conversion in twenty minutes; I did mine on my way to the hospital for heart surgery. The only make and model range to consider is the Bafang (also branded 8FUN) bottom bracket motor called BB which come in several power ratings. The Bafang even in the 250 and 350W motors offer more torque than any of the others and it's torque that matters in a commuter (and on the hills) rather than horsepower. Make absolutely sure you get the controller you can change yourself; some idiot dealers think they're auxiliaries of the nanny state and sell only the non-resetable controller, set to it's most useless programme. Your Chianglider will carry forward to it if the chainring and sprocket are the same tooth count.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...=261000-170237 Waiting for my son to find a scratch and dent return at the Specialized warehouse.

I could pose with one of those. But I'm not so sure I would reach for my chequebook before Trek demonstrated where and how the comfortable fat tyres, the mudguards (fenders), the rack, the lamps, the dynamo hub, the bottle and the lock fit. When I say I'm a big fan of Trek what I mean is I'm a big fan of the bikes their Benelux European centre develops, which follow European mores in for instance giving you fully trimmed up and fitted out bike which lacks nothing any reasonable person could want, and, even better, it comes with a very friendly management keen to help you make whatever changes you want to make to the bike fit you, rather than taking the attitude that it's your fault and problem if their bike doesn't work as you want it to work. By contrast, for $13500 in the States Trek expects you to pay extra for a control and report fascia, plus extra again for a piece of plastic to hold on the handlebars? Duh.

Some dope on an eBike blew my doors off riding home last night. "I'll get you Mr. eBike! Your time will come!" [shaking fist in dark, pouring rain..]

That's just plain rude. We should set Franki-boy on that guy to harangue him about his "responsibility to cycling" to slow down and ride companionably beside you in the freezing rain and make small talk about bikes and taking the lane away from the sensible commuters in their cars.

-- Jay Beattie.

Ande Jute
Always out on the cutting edge
Old February 1st 20, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 9:12:21 PM UTC, wrote:
On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 9:35:11 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 4:35:31 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 1:14:52 AM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
Maybe this little charmer from the local Ti builder. https://www.ticycles.com/products-bi...m-all-arounder

Are you kidding me? $1950 for a frame without a fork?

I was going to link to the Ti frame I think Lou is buying, but that might cause too much of a shock to many here.

-- Jay Beattie.

;-) According to my dealer frame is ready to ship next week.

Lou

Start a thread for it, Lou. Show us what it looks like. One of the pleasures of belonging to a virtual cycling community is sharing vicariously in other people's bikes that for one reason or another you'll never buy for yourself.

Andre Jute
Maybe I need a shortlist again

2009 ERGO dis-assembly/re-assembly Qui si parla Campagnolo Techniques 10 February 10th 09 12:44 AM
BC wheel assembly zfreak220 Unicycling 0 May 22nd 08 11:05 PM
BC wheel assembly poofengle Unicycling 0 May 22nd 08 05:21 AM
BC wheel assembly vanpaun Unicycling 1 May 21st 08 11:26 PM
HELP w/ KH/onza hub assembly PLEASE lancerfan119 Unicycling 5 July 25th 05 09:23 PM