Help Me Survive (Maybe Enjoy?) My First Brevet

Old January 17th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Help Me Survive (Maybe Enjoy?) My First Brevet

Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

My arm is being twisted by some friends to join them in a couple of
brevets this spring and summer. It looks like there will be a 200K and
two 300Ks. I am currently a solo "B" pace cyclist and rode 4700 miles
last year. These rides were split between 25 mile "lunch" rides during
the week, Metrics on weekends, and a couple of centuries.

I think I have a pretty good handle on the equipment side of things. I
have a choice of a Cannondale T2000 touring bike or a Litespeed
Tuscany. The Cannondale has fenders, rear rack, and front handlebar
bag but is pretty heavy. The Litespeed is is lightweight but I'll add
a rear rack and trunk to carry supplies. If the weather is not
threatening I'll probably take the Litespeed.

My main question involves the other aspect of brevets and that is
riding strategy i.e. pace, hydration, nutrition, and rest. I have
always felt pretty tired after centuries so I am wondering what I have
to do to be able go farther and survive.

Can any of you offer and direct advice or point me to other web
sources which may have this kind of information? I have looked ar the
www.rusa.org site but didn't really see the kind of info I was looking
for. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

As for bikes, I'd take the Ti bike no matter what the weather. Comfy
absorbent Ti is hard to beat for long hours in the saddle.

I'd make sure I had close fitting rain gear too. Using a big flapping
rain jacket as a parachute is a big energy waster.

Joseph