A possible solution to the trolling problem on this news group

Old May 19th 09, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default A possible solution to the trolling problem on this news group

On Tue, 19 May 2009 18:59:29 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

David Damerell wrote:
Well, I seem to remember Doug defending Critical Mass just the other
day.

I think it's about the only thing he's achieved on uk.rec.cycling:
persuading some of us that however much fun a summer CM ride might look,
your mere presence will be used as propaganda for all kinds of wingnut
causes, so it's better to go for a nice ride in the park instead.

So, he's managed a lot more positive for cycling than you, then?
Old May 20th 09, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
David Damerell wrote:
Well, I seem to remember Doug defending Critical Mass just the other
day.

I think it's about the only thing he's achieved on uk.rec.cycling:
persuading some of us that however much fun a summer CM ride might look,
your mere presence will be used as propaganda for all kinds of wingnut
causes, so it's better to go for a nice ride in the park instead.

CM is a right proper laugh.
Watching the police outriders threatening to nick drivers and seeing a
scooter ridern having his machine taken from him after aiming at the
cyclists has been the best yet.
Cm is out of the way fairly quickly - I've never seen it as "propaganda
for all kinds of wingnut causes" owing the the huge vaiety of cyclists
there.
If it were all faux-Greens or Day-one Greens I'd be there in a dustcart
- see Soylent Green for more info.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 20th 09, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Funk[_3_]

On 2009-05-19, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

I think it's about the only thing he's achieved on uk.rec.cycling:
persuading some of us that however much fun a summer CM ride might look,
your mere presence will be used as propaganda for all kinds of wingnut
causes, so it's better to go for a nice ride in the park instead.

Well, I don't think I would feel comfortable participating in CM
because I have and sometimes use a car (although I would prefer for
society to be structured differently).

But I'm fed up with all the anti-wingnut prejudice in society today.
Sometimes it's better not to have to carry a spanner.
Old May 20th 09, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Funk[_3_]

On 2009-05-08, Ian Jackson wrote:

In article ,
Rudi wrote:

B) An alternative response is to just start up an alternative
moderated news-group. This however runs the risk of splitting the
cycling community into those on one group and those on another

This is the conventional approach in this situation. I don't think
there would be too much difficulty getting people to move over to the
new group. We should have a regular FAQ posting inviting people to
the moderated group.

Would someone who is familiar with the process like to start it up?
Old May 20th 09, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wed, 20 May 2009 11:05:46 +0100, Keith T wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
David Damerell wrote:
[...]

Yawn. Its cnuts like you who ensure that drivers like me couldn't give
a **** for cycling causes.
Old May 20th 09, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Alan Braggins wrote:

In article , Roger Thorpe wrote:

Even if I really believed that you were a woman named Judith Smith who
had been in some way mistreated or victimized by Guy, had an honest
misunderstanding about certain cycling issues and passionately held
beliefs on others I would still find your posts irritating and
destructive. Each time I read them I would still want to scream "Oh
bugger off!".
I am not alone in this.

If the main problems (judith and Nuxx) had not shown themselves quite
happy to indulge in persistent nym-shifting and forgery, then a killfile
would be a perfectly adequate answer to that problem.
As it is, it's hard to see how conventional moderation would be able to
help.

get better software then, i don't use linux (for usenet) but while my
usenet program MacSoup has many many failings it has some very useful
troll tools such as ablity to killfile authors and then any folllow ups,
either for a set time (say a month) or permently. also the ablity to
just kill a thread or sub thread or just mark a thread as read. or
simply to auto kill crossposts in many, and or ways.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Capital to Coast
Old May 20th 09, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

wrote:

David Damerell wrote:
Well, I seem to remember Doug defending Critical Mass just the other
day.

I think it's about the only thing he's achieved on uk.rec.cycling:
persuading some of us that however much fun a summer CM ride might look,
your mere presence will be used as propaganda for all kinds of wingnut
causes, so it's better to go for a nice ride in the park instead.

Hello Lou/Guy

Any chance of formally denying that it was you who posted as Lou?

Why not?

People are beginning to ask why you won't answer the question?

--

Posts from IP Address: 80.254.146.36

to URC over 6 years = 7

Guy Chapman : 5
Lou Knee: 2

Coincidence or nym shift?

Old May 20th 09, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Wed, 20 May 2009 11:57:16 +0100, Adam Funk

On 2009-05-08, Ian Jackson wrote:

In article ,
Rudi wrote:

B) An alternative response is to just start up an alternative
moderated news-group. This however runs the risk of splitting the
cycling community into those on one group and those on another

This is the conventional approach in this situation. I don't think
there would be too much difficulty getting people to move over to the
new group. We should have a regular FAQ posting inviting people to
the moderated group.

Would someone who is familiar with the process like to start it up?

I was involved in the set-up of uk.legal.moderated - would you like me
to get it started ;-)

I am all in favour of fair/moderated news groups; they cut out a hell
of a lot of crap.

No nym-shifters like Lou Knee/Guy Chapman though.

Old May 21st 09, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

Judith Smith wrote:

I am all in favour of fair/moderated news groups; they cut out a hell
of a lot of crap.

?????? from someone who appears to have hijacked several threads by just
copy and paste you would have to blacklist yurself.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 21st 09, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Jackson

In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:
Would someone who is familiar with the process like to start it up?

Yes. I'm in discussions with Control and the Committee. I should be
able to post either a draft of an RFD (just here), or a full formal
RFD (to uk.net.news.config and .announce), very shortly.

We need to think about who we should have as moderators. My
preference would be to have a large moderation panel, say at least six
people.

Also we should organise a hosting setup. If no-one has a better plan,
I would be happy to run an installation of Stump[1] on my server.
[1] http://www.algebra.com/~ichudov/stump/

--
Ian Jackson personal email:
These opinions are my own. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ijackson/