serious injury poll

Old January 29th 04, 01:55 AM
onewheeldave

Default serious injury poll

results, please visit http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/30171
Question: Have you recieved a serious injury whilst engaged in non
extreme riding?

- yes
- no

I'm a little concerned about the number of serious injuries I'm reading
about on this board, I'm staring to feel a bit of trepidation about
going out on my unis!

We seem to have had various ankle breakages, wrecked knees requiring
surgery and 6 month rehabs, Mikes come close to breaking his jaw, even a
'necrotised flesh' incident from a pedal bite requiring emergency
antibiotics.

I always used to think that if you just rode around/mild muni with no
herioc drops etc, you could count on being safe, but many of these nasty
injuries seem to have happened on quite mild stuff.

So, here's a poll to try and establish how safe normal riding is;
definition of serious injury is bone breakages or stuff requiring
weeks/months of lay up, 'normal riding' is cruising the streets or mild
off road, with small drops or no drops.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

Old January 29th 04, 02:03 AM
hopeful

yeah, i had to have surgery and antibiotics after a nasty pedal bite
which was because I was practicing backspins... a freestyle skill!

--
hopeful - Street Performer

a sawzall...!? why not just use an axe. -- Jagur

Long live the Lotus -- Mojoe
hopeful's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4470

Old January 29th 04, 02:28 AM
U-Turn

I voted yes for a sprained wrist, sprained ankle, (unknown) neck and
(unknown knee) in about 2.3 years of riding. Two from off-road and two
from freestyle on pavement. I was wearing full safety gear for all
except the knee.

--
U-Turn - There has got to be a better way...

'29er Tire Study' (http://tinyurl.com/3248f)

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

'Unatics Website' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)

-- Dave Stockton

Old January 29th 04, 02:34 AM
Sofa

Yes

Sprained ankle.

UWFDTTAT

Ultimate Wheel Flying Dive To Twisted Ankle Transition

Happened Sep 9 2003. Although not at all crippling, I can still notice
it when I have my legs up on the coffee table and my good heel is
resting on that bad ankle

I was only out of commision for 2 weeks or so, but man did it hurt when
it happened.

......And Spickydoo's (as of a few weeks ago) was easily twice as
swollen as mine, with a sharper crease between swelled area and leg
[barf]

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx)

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.0

'Ugh, the Harpers; The worst neighbours in the world ' - *Tony
Micelli*

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old January 29th 04, 03:18 AM
chirokid

onewheeldave wrote:
* how safe normal 'non extreme riding' is *

Dave, I have ridden for 32 years. I think that non-extreme riding would
describe me prefectly.

I vote no, but this forum will never allow me to vote in a poll. I have
never had a bad injury while unicycle riding. I pray I never have a bad
one. --chirokid--

--
chirokid

I am the proud NEW owner of SuperSHJag29er!!!
chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old January 29th 04, 03:27 AM
gerblefranklin

I've had my fair share of pedal bites and the like, but never anything
really serious, except a tailbone injury from a missed 34" pedalgrab (2
weeks full rehab, but riding 94% after 4 days). I voted no.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?

Old January 29th 04, 03:28 AM
Rowan

Depends on what your definition of serious is, and what you define not
extreme to be. I've sprained a wrist slightly coming off a giraffe in
the dark. Done my wrist falling off riding backwards in a circle.
Sprained both ankles, once flying down from the top of seven stairs and
once in the forest off a rotten log. I bunged up one of my knees pretty
good for a couple of weeks after falling awkwardly while practising one
footed riding on a home-made giraffe. I just tried putting my foot out
the back instead of the front when I came off, luckily right outside my
house. I don't consider any of those activities to be extreme, and the
injuries were relatively serious compared to any other injuries I've
had, but they are not as serious as some. I voted yes on the poll.

--
Rowan - _________
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Old January 29th 04, 03:29 AM
bugman

hopeful wrote:
*yeah, i had to have surgery and antibiotics after a nasty pedal bite
which was because I was practicing backspins... a freestyle skill! *

I would say using pins for freestyle is a little extreme, if not totally
unnecessary.

--
bugman - Equilibrium Challenged

"Trying to maintain balance by wild arm and body motions is something
like trying to balance a wet noodle"
Jack Wiley _The_Unicycle_Book_

Old January 29th 04, 03:37 AM
Checkernuts

I dont concider my uni injuries serious but 2 have resutled in going to
the hospital,

Fall off a 6' uni and a stupid unispin
Sprained Ankle and 8 sitches respectivly.

I voted yes, but to me it I dont concider these injuries bad at all as
compaired to really bad accadents like broken legs and spines.

If I was biking as much as I uni I feel that I would deffenatlly find
myself more hurt than I actually get riding uni's.

2 years of beginer to advanced trials and offroad.

Mike

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

Old January 29th 04, 03:40 AM
m_extreme_uni

well, all that's happened to me was a sprained ankle, and i took several
Advils, and continued to ride.

Well, i guess i did land directly on a my knees on cement from 4 feet
up, but that only lasted a few days.

other than that, bumps and bruises is about all.

-Ryan

--
m_extreme_uni

"Yeah, Gravity is bad" Leo Kottke