Pain from seat out

Old June 3rd 04, 08:42 PM
thinuniking

Default Pain from seat out

Hi i have really started to get into seat out hops and they are getting
on par with seat in now,but i find the bumpers on my kh rub my legs and
it's really started to hurt is this bad technique or is there something
i can do?also my hands hurt from holding the saddle is there any way of
putting some padding on?
Ben

--
thinuniking - U don't be playing me cracker!

Suck my elbow
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

Old June 4th 04, 01:57 AM
KcTheAcy

Same problem here. I currently hold it in the middle. Should I hold it
further back?

--
KcTheAcy - Ohh Baby
KcTheAcy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5003

Old June 4th 04, 02:24 AM
busta_gustv

when i started to learn seat out hopping, i changed my seat height. i
found that to get the maximum height seat in hopping, the seat would
have to be at an uncomfortable height for seat out hopping. i was too
low and it was rubbing on my upper legs and i was abit hunched over, so
i just played around with the seat height untill i found a good height.

i hope this helps.

Ben

--
busta_gustv - Your Favourite Band sucks

i couldnt think of a good signature so i decided not to have one.
busta_gustv's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4064

Old June 4th 04, 03:50 AM
zach_jucha

yes, when i started seat out hopping i raised the seat too. i think your
upper body should be able to be almost totally straight, and as for
hurting my hand, i got some gloves.

--
zach_jucha - Smilemaker

-Don't ask me why I said it, because I already forgot.-

- Homestar

-I think I see way more penises then I should.-

- Dan Heaton

-God didn't give him brains but he sure gave him talent.-

- Kris Holm's friend Chris as Kris did a huge drop
zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072

Old June 4th 04, 04:21 AM
gerblefranklin

Thinuniking: Sometimes I too find that my KH saddle digs into my hand
near the last joint on my middle finger, but rarely. I also notice that
on moves on off-camber surfaces the seat can be ripped out of my hand by
a hard landing. The problem with KH saddles is that the rib where the
colored cloth is is too short, meaning you grip the seat way high on
your fingers. This isn't as good as miyata, but you get used to it. Part
of this for me was that some nice calluses formed on my fingers so that
there's more natural cushion. I also use 3/4 finger gloves, but they
don't provide any padding where I grab the seat. My hands only hurt if I
do big hops repeatedly or have bad timing on my hop. For example, today
I was going for a 28" hop and I jumped and pulled just a bit too early,
and it started to hurt because I pulled up on both the uni and my legs,
which hurt. It also can be a bit painful when I do rock trials because
there are lots of off-camber surfaces where you have to pull harder on
the seat. The best solution for finger pain is to practice seat out
more, so you can relax your grip on the saddle. As for the legs, you
just have to develope your technique to the point where your thighs
aren't used to balance the seat, only your hand.
Would you be so kind as to use punctuation and capitalization? I find
your posts contain substance and often ask good questions such as the
one above, but I have a hard time reading them and often don't fully
undersatand them. So please, could you use some more punctuation?

Kc: The hand should grip the saddle seat out on a KH saddle where the
colored cloth is. Near the middle is way to far up. My pinky often
touches the rear bumber to give you a better idea. This change should
make seat out way easier.

Seat height: Don't bother taking any advice on seat height past a
certain point. Anything will work. Way high and the disadvantage is
during big hops you often have to lift the seat up past your head, which
makes you run the risk of clipping your neck on the seat after you land
it. I've done this, and it hurts. Not to mention, wiht the seat to high
you often have to go seat out for drops and have a much harder time
putting the seat back after going seat out. Also, with the seat way high
on big seat out gaps you can end up slamming your chest into the seat
when you land. This can happen even with a low seat, though. With the
seat too low the biggest problem is the hunching of the back. You have
to bend way over to reach the seat and this makes bigger hops harder
because your weight starts lower so you have to physically jump your
upper body higher. Not much of a concern. Another issue with low seats
is that when seat in stillstands and rail rides can be harder, because
when you stand up the seat can actually bounce back and forth between
your legs, which will be strange. Also, a low seat makes seat out
stillstands harder. The advantage to a low seat lies in the ability to
lift the uni seat in and seat out higher, and the ability to crunch down
more on big gaps. Whichever you pick, remember, if your pulling way hard
on the seat, bend over more. You should have a very relaxed grip on the
saddle. Try doing a small seat out hop while holding without using your
thumb or palm. Or just remember that your elbow shoudl have a bit of
bend in it when your seat out, and if it doesn't you aren't bent over
enough.

I have some picture that may help, but i don't know how to attach them.
Could someone tell me and I'll post them.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?

Old June 4th 04, 06:05 AM
KcTheAcy

To attach the picture just click this button

| Attachment filename: uni help for form.gif |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/214299|

Old June 4th 04, 09:33 AM
thinuniking

Yeah really sorry about the punctuation it's not my strong point
anyway.I also wrote this rather quickly.I have full finger gloves and I
ride with the saddle pretty high anyway, the reason I suggested I may
have bad technique was when I have watched videos they seem to have the
saddle further away from the body.That day I had been doing natural
trials that might of been it.I had also been doing everything seat out
as I really want to get that higher,though I already feel more controled
then seat in.I have only really just started doing seat out with in the
pass 2/3 weeks but little ride time due to exams and stuff.I think part
of the problem might be I don't pre hop enough,when iIdo seat in i
pretty much get all the hight from the pre hop.Where as seat out it
seems to be all me.I was thinking about gluing some padding to the edge
of the saddle sometime as well good idea? Also I did think about
trimming the bumpers up a bit to?
I think the pain in the fingers is because I hold the seat to tight.
Ben
(punctuation may not be perfect but i made an effort)

Old June 4th 04, 08:13 PM
zach_jucha

Now that I think of it I may have already been wearing gloves so... I
remember seat out hopping being painful and uncomfortable when I first
did it, but it's something that got easier over time. It helps if you
can ride seat out pretty well.

Old June 5th 04, 05:22 AM
zack

dont listen to bevan he's a nerd!!! hoo cares about punctuation
were cycling shorts thats what i did when i got the rash I helps alot
And for your hand glue a short peice of gerden or air hose
if that doesent help stop unicycling. just kidden get a carbin air seat
with kinnport hanndle that might make it a little easire to hold.

good luck

--
zack
zack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4938

Old June 5th 04, 01:46 PM
thinuniking

Thanks but that sounds uncomfortable for riding.I do need to sort out
spelling i am doing an english exam in a few day scarness!
Ben