Learning To Ride at Age 50

Old June 21st 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hectorqlucero

Default Learning To Ride at Age 50

Wheel Rider wrote:
Glad to hear that worked for you. I find myself returning to the tennis
court when I start working on new skills such has wheel-walking and
one-foot riding. However, with these 2 skills I need to spend a LOT
more time on the court. Having the fence to hold onto helps build
confidence.

Just to give you an update I can ride for miles now on my 26" unicycle.
The seat is really terrible, since I have an entry level sun unicyle.
I now built the courage to buy a nimbus 36" deluxe with brakes which I
ordered today from unicycle.com. I should get it in 2 to 3 weeks. I
am very excited!

My ultimate goal is to ride a 56 mile fun bike ride on october 2008. I
think I can get enough experience to do it on the new unicycle, that's
why I rushed to get it sooner than later.

I can't thank you enough for your help. Believe it or not, your words
were the ones that gave me confidence to continue with something I
really like, which is riding a unicycle long distance. I almost gave
up.... Thanks!!!!

--
hectorqlucero
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 22nd 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

Nice work Hector. Congratulations on your perseverence. I think once
you get that N36 you'll really get the distance bug. With semi-regular
practice, being able to complete a 58 mile ride 15 months from now is
very achievable. Work your way up slowly, increasing your distance over
time. You should get to the point that you can ride two-thirds of the
distance comfortably, i.e. make sure your training gets up to 40 miles
by the month before the event. From there, the extra push and adrenalin
will get you through the event.

Good luck!

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 22nd 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Keep at it Hector! You can and *will* improve! I re-learned how to ride
*just* a month prior to my 50th b-day, after about a 35 year layoff!
It has been the just about best thing I have ever done, and has
literally changed my life in so many ways...all for the better! I
would recommend it to ANYONE, especially us old farts!

--
MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 22nd 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheel Rider

hectorqlucero wrote:
...I can't thank you enough for your help. Believe it or not, your
words were the ones that gave me confidence to continue with something
I really like, which is riding a unicycle long distance. I almost gave
up.... Thanks!!!!

I am humbled by your response and happy I was of assistance.

Learning to ride unicycles has been a life changing event for me. I
would rather be out riding than sitting around watching television or
spending vast amounts of time on my computer. I spend most of my riding
time on my 29er and off-road on my 26" MUni. I ride almost every day,
limited only by such things as the weather and yard work (and the
number of pants that I am wearing out. I threw away another pair of
shorts yesterday because I had worn a hole on the inside of the
thigh).

Good luck on your 36". Your goals are absolutely greater than mine. I
am happy to plod around for 6 to 8 miles in the evenings before it gets
dark.

Hang in there!!

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 22nd 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
patmoore

Wheel Rider wrote:
I ride almost every day, limited only by such things as the weather and
yard work (and the number of pants that I am wearing out. I threw away
another pair of shorts yesterday because I had worn a hole on the
inside of the thigh).

From the shameless commerce division....

I created a coupon code (uni07) that will give anyone on this forum a
20% discount on some top quality 'Cannondale biking shorts'
(http://www.suburbansport.com/pi-0195.html). Free shipping in the US.
For distance rides, they're all I use. With biking shorts on the
inside and more traditional shorts on the outside the pockets allow me
to carry house/car keys, etc. We only have a few remaining pairs in
stock. The coupon is good through the 31st.

--
patmoore

MY
GALLERY (\"HTTP://WWW.UNICYCLIST.COM/INDEX.PHP?PAGE=GALLERY&G2_ITEMID=193091\")
"When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
'Online uni sales at www.suburbansport.com'
(http://suburbansport.com/unicycles.html)
http://www.usenet.com

After learning to ride. GriptapeFlip Unicycling 3 July 27th 06 09:50 AM
learning to ride- help please! rosybob_and_my_uni-cycle Unicycling 2 July 6th 06 06:39 AM
Learning to ride.... nxixcxk Unicycling 5 July 5th 05 02:04 AM
learning to ride Jrm9000 Unicycling 5 July 18th 04 06:03 AM
Learning to ride on a Coker (Day 10-10 Mar) Jayne ZA Unicycling 7 March 11th 04 02:48 PM