Longer QR skewer

Old June 15th 11, 12:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_3_]

Default Longer QR skewer

I have a Rohloff Speedhub with QR axle in rear facing horizontal dropouts. I'm
using a closed cam Shimano XTR skewer and one Surly Tuggnut tensioner on drive
side. I know that a QR Rohloff in horizontal dropouts is less than ideal but I
must use what I have and I have no trouble with axle moving in dropouts.
However, I have a little less skewer thread than I like showing on the drive
side when using one Surly tensioner. With a tensioner each side, no way.
I googled without much success for "long skewer" or "tandem skewer". I suppose
that a tandem hub skewer is what I'm looking for but I have not found much that
isn't open cam with plastic washers.
Any ideas from others who have faced this problem? Preferably with link to
online supplier.
PH

Old June 15th 11, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 15, 6:34*am, "Peter Howard" wrote:
I have a Rohloff Speedhub with QR axle in rear facing horizontal dropouts.. I'm
using a closed cam Shimano XTR skewer and one Surly Tuggnut tensioner on drive
side. I know that a QR Rohloff in horizontal dropouts is less than ideal but I
must use what I have and I have no trouble with axle moving in dropouts.
However, I have a little less skewer thread than I like showing on the drive
side when using one Surly tensioner. With a tensioner each side, no way.
I googled without much success for "long skewer" or "tandem skewer". I suppose
that a tandem hub skewer is what I'm looking for but I have not found much that
isn't open cam with plastic washers.
Any ideas from others who have faced this problem? Preferably with link to
online supplier.
PH

Any bike shop should be able to order you a Shimano XT 145mm skewer.
Or go to any online tandem shop and order one. Might not be listed on
the site, but they'll have 'em.
Old June 15th 11, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

Peter Howard wrote:
I have a Rohloff Speedhub with QR axle in rear facing horizontal
dropouts. I'm using a closed cam Shimano XTR skewer and one Surly
Tuggnut tensioner on drive side. I know that a QR Rohloff in horizontal
dropouts is less than ideal but I must use what I have and I have no
trouble with axle moving in dropouts. However, I have a little less
skewer thread than I like showing on the drive side when using one Surly
tensioner. With a tensioner each side, no way.
I googled without much success for "long skewer" or "tandem skewer". I
suppose that a tandem hub skewer is what I'm looking for but I have not
found much that isn't open cam with plastic washers.
Any ideas from others who have faced this problem? Preferably with link
to online supplier.
PH

Surprisingly, Amazon has some skewers including a 160mm unit from Bob.
Just search bicycle skewer. I recall there were also some in the 145mm
range.
Old June 15th 11, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Peter Howard wrote:
I have a Rohloff Speedhub with QR axle in rear facing horizontal
dropouts. I'm using a closed cam Shimano XTR skewer and one Surly
Tuggnut tensioner on drive side. I know that a QR Rohloff in horizontal
dropouts is less than ideal but I must use what I have and I have no
trouble with axle moving in dropouts. However, I have a little less
skewer thread than I like showing on the drive side when using one Surly
tensioner. With a tensioner each side, no way.
I googled without much success for "long skewer" or "tandem skewer". I
suppose that a tandem hub skewer is what I'm looking for but I have not
found much that isn't open cam with plastic washers.
Any ideas from others who have faced this problem? Preferably with link
to online supplier.

If you feel a chain adjuster is desirable, use the nice thin
steel ones, under $5 a pair.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old June 19th 11, 12:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_3_]

Peter Howard wrote:
I have a Rohloff Speedhub with QR axle in rear facing horizontal
dropouts. snip

Well I found one, a long XTR skewer from Chain Reaction cycles in Northern
Ireland and it only cost an arm and a leg.
Thanks to all respondents.
PH

Old June 19th 11, 01:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn °_°

On 6/19/2011 6:26 AM, Peter Howard wrote:
Peter Howard wrote:
I have a Rohloff Speedhub with QR axle in rear facing horizontal
dropouts. snip

Well I found one, a long XTR skewer from Chain Reaction cycles in
Northern Ireland and it only cost an arm and a leg.
Thanks to all respondents.
PH

I imagine the shipping was more than the part?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old June 19th 11, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_3_]

Peter Howard wrote:
I have a Rohloff Speedhub with QR axle in rear facing horizontal
dropouts. snip

Well I found one, a long XTR skewer from Chain Reaction cycles in
Northern Ireland and it only cost an arm and a leg.
Thanks to all respondents.
PH

I imagine the shipping was more than the part?

Actually, no. $7.75AU for a packet up to one kilogram by Royal Mail. Not bad for
airmail from the other side of the world, especially when I'm getting a few
other desirable and lightweight bits in the same packet.

longer front QR skewer recommendation? damyth Techniques 1 April 13th 10 09:52 PM
Skewer Question Fred Techniques 7 March 25th 07 01:56 PM
Skewer direction Malcolm Smith Techniques 16 January 14th 07 01:20 PM
stuck QR skewer Simon Brooke UK 0 August 17th 06 12:23 PM
Shortening a QR Skewer? MSA UK 14 December 30th 03 02:24 PM