another cyclist dies.

Old October 27th 03, 11:54 AM
trg

Default another cyclist dies.

Badger South wrote:
In article ,
sbirn wrote:
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:32:07 GMT, Steve Knight wrote:
I agree. I don't like riding on streets with busses. I almost got
squeezed between a bus passing me and a car. if I had not slowed
down and let the bus pass I would have been a sandwich.

I've been cut off by the odd bus pulling over to stop to pick up
passengers. I almost now regard it as routine. I've also had a bus
or two pull out into traffic with complete disregard to my presence.

It seems like this 'bad B-driver' behavior is almost universal,
b/c they are the same here. I've not seen any bikers hit but
seen then cut off and nearly hit in a short drive down
mainstreet. In addition the bus drivers like to cut off all
traffic when they find another bus ahead of them waiting to
pick up or drop off, totally blockading the road.

In Paris, I've never had any problem with bus drivers. They've pretty cool
most of the time. There are lanes that are shared just by buses, taxis and
bikes. They don't seem to get impatient when behind or even when
traffic/lights means that I play leapfrog with the bus.

Old October 27th 03, 03:37 PM
Badger South

In article ,
trg wrote:
Badger South wrote:
In article ,
sbirn wrote:
[...]

I'd make a joke about the French, but that would be taking
unfair advantage. ;-p

But just kidding. That's cool. What about the 'rest of the
world?' Fellow RMB-ers chime in! ;-)

-B
--
Email Replies to johnsonnospm01j att ntelos dott net
Old October 27th 03, 09:14 PM
Bran

The Real Bev spake thusly on or about Mon, 27 Oct
2003 04:51:57 UTC

- I'm always amazed when a driver actually believes my repeated signals
- and goes ahead so I don't have to actually stop. I'm never happy to
- have to scrub off forward momentum, it took too much work to earn it :-(
-

I would be amazed too. I gather you live somewhere that stop does not mean
stop.

--
I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head
start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?

Old October 27th 03, 09:48 PM
Doug Huffman

Who is liable if a motorist collides while passing at your direction?

"Rich Clark" wrote in message

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
Would you please explain your two signals to this
slightly-over-one-month-with-a-bike newbie, please?

My pass-me-now is much like Claire's -- basically just a wave-around with
the left hand. My do-not pass is more the opposite of that: I show them my
left palm and then sort of sweep it behind me.

I think what's really important is that they know you know they're there.

RichC

Old October 27th 03, 10:45 PM
Rich Clark

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message
.. .
Who is liable if a motorist collides while passing at your direction?

The way I understand it, passing safely is always the responsibility of the
vehicle operator doing the passing.

RichC

Old October 27th 03, 11:52 PM
Pat

Who is liable if a motorist collides while passing at your direction?

The way I understand it, passing safely is always the responsibility of

the
vehicle operator doing the passing.

RichC

My Mother in law told me once that she always motions for other drivers to
turn in front of her when she is stopped in a line of traffic. Once, a
driver almost got hit broadside from trusting my MIL that it was safe to
turn and she gave my MIL an earful! My MIL's response was "it's not my
fault--I told her only that I was stopped, not anybody else!"

Watch out for my MIL and other 82 year old drivers....

Pat in TX

Old October 27th 03, 11:57 PM
Doug Huffman

That must be why motorists are so often cited for colliding with cyclists.
Damn careless cyclists passing.

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Old October 28th 03, 12:15 AM
Rich Clark

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message
. ..

[top-posting corrected]

"Rich Clark" wrote in message

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message
.. .
Who is liable if a motorist collides while passing at your direction?

The way I understand it, passing safely is always the responsibility of

the
vehicle operator doing the passing.

That must be why motorists are so often cited for colliding with cyclists.
Damn careless cyclists passing.

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

I must be dim today. I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

RichC

Old October 28th 03, 06:30 AM
The Real Bev

Bran wrote:

The Real Bev spake thusly on or about Mon, 27 Oct
2003 04:51:57 UTC

- I'm always amazed when a driver actually believes my repeated signals
- and goes ahead so I don't have to actually stop. I'm never happy to
- have to scrub off forward momentum, it took too much work to earn it :-(

I would be amazed too. I gather you live somewhere that stop does not mean
stop.

Yup. If everybody is paying attention, you can get through a 4-way
fairly efficiently. If it is my right of way and I come to a full
foot-down stop, the guy on my left just has to wait longer than if I
roll through slowly but without making an actual full stop. When it's a
car's right-of-way, I expect the driver to take it and I slow down so
that I can cross after he has but without actually stopping.

Somehow, seeing a bicycle seems to freak out a lot of people and they
refuse to budge until you go even when it's clearly their turn and they
should be long gone by the time I get to the intersection. There's NO
way I'm going to ride in front of one of these bozos, so EVERYBODY gets
slowed down.

Note: I only do this in residential areas where meeting anybody at a
4-way is an uncommon occurrence. In real traffic I do what the car
right next to me is doing and/or make a proper stop.

--
Cheers,
Bev