another cyclist dies.

Old October 29th 03, 12:08 AM
Eric S. Sande

Default another cyclist dies.

For a little more spin on this fatal collision, check out what was
reported by another local channel on Saturday:

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie....36717d70.html

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old October 29th 03, 03:35 AM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:08:35 -0500, "Eric S. Sande"
wrote:

For a little more spin on this fatal collision, check out what was
reported by another local channel on Saturday:

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie....36717d70.html

Is it possible you could just summarize what the "spin" was, for those
of us who'd rather not "sign up" for a lifetime of free spam from the
"KGW" site and its "partners"?

THanks.
Old October 29th 03, 03:54 AM
Frank Krygowski

Bran wrote:

so you habitually disregard and break traffic regulations when it suits
you. I am still not suprised that motorists do not trust you to behave
correctly.

I think the motorists I deal with frequently - that is, the ones I
encounter on my commute - do trust me to behave correctly. However, I
don't think they want me to come to a complete, textbook-perfect fully
legal stop at a four-way, any more than they want to do it themselves.

I'd never advocate totally blowing a stop sign. But I see nothing wrong
with doing a slow-speed trackstand while waiting for others to take
their right of way.

It's OK to be reasonable. Who gains anything from me putting my foot down?

--
Frank Krygowski

Old October 29th 03, 04:02 AM
Eric S. Sande

Is it possible you could just summarize what the "spin" was, for those
of us who'd rather not "sign up" for a lifetime of free spam from the
"KGW" site and its "partners"?

I was afraid that would happen. Although I thought I'd beat that by
doing the legwork, they were too smart for me.

Here's the article in plain text:

-begin quote-

12:22 AM PDT on Saturday, October 25, 2003

By ABE ESTIMADA, kgw.com Staff

A bicyclist died after he struck a Tri-Met bus on NE 126th Avenue and
NE Halsey Street on Friday afternoon, police said.

The bicyclist, a white male in his late 30s or early 40s, was pronounced
dead at Legacy Emanuel Hospital and Health Center.

The bus was heading eastbound on Halsey about 4 p.m. and pulling up to a
bus stop on NE 126th Avenue when the accident occurred. The bicyclist was
traveling west on the bike lane in the wrong direction, said Bruce Solberg,
a spokesman for Tri-Met.

The bicyclist did not see the bus until he was very close to the bus,
Solberg said. He tried to turn in front of the bus to go around it, but
there was a car in the eastbound lane of Hawthorne.

The bicyclist slammed on his brakes to avoid the car, but he was thrown
over the bike handles. He struck the right, front corner of the bus as it
was slowing to stop, Solberg said.

Portland police were continuing to investigate the accident. Halsey was
closed for several hours in both directions between 122nd Avenue and 140th
Avenue, but had reopened by 7:30 p.m.

The man wasn't wearing a helmet. Several bicycle accidents in the past
year involving automobiles have turned deadly because riders weren't
wearing helmets, police said.

"Certainly not to say it's their fault because many of these bicycle
fatals have been the fault of the drivers, but when a bicyclist and a
vehicle collide, the vehicle is always going to overcome the bicyclist,"
said Sgt. Brian Schmautz, a spokesman for the Portland Police Bureau.

Police were also looking for a female cyclist who was riding eastbound
on Halsey at the time of the crash for more information about what caused
the crash, said officer Henry Groepper.

Groepper asked anyone who saw the crash to call traffic investigators at
(503) 823-2207.

-end quote-

BTW, the dead cyclist's name was Merlyn J. Hafen and he was just 26
years old, according to the Oregonian.

In another Oregonian article Sgt. Schmautz is quoted as saying police
are not certain whether Hafen was operating westbound or eastbound.

Which is probably why they are looking for the white female cyclist
who was riding eastbound at the time of the accident.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old October 29th 03, 07:53 AM
Zoot Katz

28 Oct 2003 14:21:24 -0800,
,
(Peter Rosenfed) wrote:

So I don't see how headphones put the accident in a totally different
light.

-Peter R.

Glad you aren't my lawyer.
--
zk
Old October 29th 03, 09:23 AM
DejaVU

Steve Knight scribed in
:

well this guy was going the wrong way it looks like. don't know
about a helmet.
http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=61858

and how many motorists died the same day within 50km?
how many pedestrians the same day within 50km?

on the subject of wood planes Steve, I'm a bit sorry now that I
passed up an old wood plane a few months ago, but it was missing the
blade holder dingus and the body was cracked slightly. it lived at
the coast and would have cracked more coming inland where it is drier
so I left it. oh well. at least my cast iron planes are happy and
useful.

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /
Old October 29th 03, 02:01 PM
Peter Rosenfed

Zoot Katz wrote in message ...
28 Oct 2003 14:21:24 -0800,
,
(Peter Rosenfed) wrote:

So I don't see how headphones put the accident in a totally different
light.

-Peter R.

Glad you aren't my lawyer.

Care to explain why you think wearing headphones changes the analysis?

-Peter R.
Old October 29th 03, 02:56 PM
Bran

Frank Krygowski spake thusly on or about
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 03:54:04 UTC

- It's OK to be reasonable. Who gains anything from me putting my foot down?
-
Never suggested that putting a foot down was required but stopping should
be. A track stand is fine for those that can manage. IMO the "nobody
follows the law" argument is not valid.

--
I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head
start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?

Old October 29th 03, 03:57 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Preston Crawford" wrote in message
newsan.2003.10.26.14.05.44.660391@prestoncrawfor d.com...

problem. A lot of the bus drivers, in spite of the fact that they drive
vehicles that transport people who choose alternative methods, hate
cyclists and barely like pedestrians.

The bus drivers in Santa Clara county are often awful. I was
(walking) crossing a major thoroughfare (Stevens Creek Blvd
at Stelling) one day, and the crosswalk light changes and we
all start to walk, and suddenly we hear furious honking and it's
a VTA bus running the red light many seconds after it turned red,
and honking at us to get out of his way. I see them run red lights
very often. Oh, and the buses are usually empty too.