Campy 9 speed shift Shimano 8 via hub bud?

Old May 22nd 11, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Campy 9 speed shift Shimano 8 via hub bud?

Hi there.

I know that a Campy 9 speed Ergo will shift a Shimano 7 cassette if
you use a Shiman rear mech and the hubbud alternate cable route and
attachment. Will this work with a Shimano 8 speed cassette as well? Or
is the slight diferende in Shimano 7 and 8 speed cassettes enough to
make this and unuseable combination?

Anyone here tried it or is using Campy 9 Ergos with Shimao 8 speed?
This is *NOT* 8 of 9 cogs from a 9 speed cassette.

I have a couple of Shimano 8 speed cassettes, 8 speed chains and an
extra pair of Campy 9 speed Ergos (32001) I can use if this
combination works which is why I'm asking.

Thanks and cheers from Peter
Old May 22nd 11, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I know that a Campy 9 speed Ergo will shift a Shimano 7 cassette if
you use a Shiman rear mech and the hubbud alternate cable route and
attachment. Will this work with a Shimano 8 speed cassette as well? Or
is the slight diferende in Shimano 7 and 8 speed cassettes enough to
make this and unuseable combination?

Anyone here tried it or is using Campy 9 Ergos with Shimao 8 speed?
This is *NOT* 8 of 9 cogs from a 9 speed cassette.

I have a couple of Shimano 8 speed cassettes, 8 speed chains and an
extra pair of Campy 9 speed Ergos (32001) I can use if this
combination works which is why I'm asking.

In our experience, Ergo Nine shifters work best with
Campagnolo changers and nine speed cassettes.

Here is a helpful page:
http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946

But, I gotta ask, why not a nine cassette? Except the first
year Inter-8 version, Shimano 8 hubs accept nine and ten
cassettes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 22nd 11, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On May 22, 4:33*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Hi there Andrew.

I wanted to go with the 8 speed setup because I have a couple of extra
Shimano 8 speed cassettes and chains. What I don't have is 9 speed
cassettes or chains. I also have the 2001 style Campy Mirage 9 speed
Ergo levers. I guess I have to wait until next month and get a 9 speed
chain and cassette.

It would have been nice if the 9 speed Campy Ergo would shift the
Shimano 8 speed cassette as it would have been doable now rather than
later.

Thanks and cheers from Peter
Old May 23rd 11, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

Phil W Lee wrote:
Sir Ridesalot considered Sun, 22 May 2011
13:52:29 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:

On May 22, 4:33 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

It is doable now, if you use the hubbub cable routing.
With standard routing, your ergo 9s shifters would work with shimano
7s rear cluster spacing.
You could also rebuild the rh ergo to 10s, and use standard routing.
All of those options are using shimano rear mechs.

How about a Shift-Mate? Haven't used them myself but have often wondered...
Old May 24th 11, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary[_7_]

On May 21, 8:23*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I know that a Campy 9 speed Ergo will shift a Shimano 7 cassette if
you use a Shiman rear mech and the hubbud alternate cable route and
attachment. Will this work with a Shimano 8 speed cassette as well? Or
is the slight diferende in Shimano 7 and 8 speed cassettes enough to
make this and unuseable combination?

Anyone here tried it or is using Campy 9 Ergos with Shimao 8 speed?
This is *NOT* 8 of 9 cogs from a 9 speed cassette.

I have a couple of Shimano 8 speed cassettes, 8 speed chains and an
extra pair of Campy 9 speed Ergos (32001) I can use if this
combination works which is why I'm asking.

Thanks and cheers from Peter

The Jtek Shiftmate works perfect. You would need the Model #2
http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm I have them on three bikes as
I like campy shifters and shimano cassettes. It changes the pull rate
to exactly match the rate needed so it's perfect. Been using them for
4 years now on various setups.
Gary
Old May 25th 11, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil B

wrote:

Hi there.

I know that a Campy 9 speed Ergo will shift a Shimano 7 cassette if
you use a Shiman rear mech and the hubbud alternate cable route and
attachment. Will this work with a Shimano 8 speed cassette as well? Or
is the slight diferende in Shimano 7 and 8 speed cassettes enough to
make this and unuseable combination?

Anyone here tried it or is using Campy 9 Ergos with Shimao 8 speed?
This is *NOT* 8 of 9 cogs from a 9 speed cassette.

Sir Ridesalot -

I run 9 speed Campy ergos on a bike that gets fenders and smaller rim
diameters in the winter. The winter rear hub is an old Shimano 105 (7
speed) hub.

I run an 8 speed Sachs cassette with the big cog removed, so it fits
on the freehub with a spacer on the inside. No alterations to routing
or additional mechanics are neccesary. Just reset the derailleur stops
and ride.

Phil B