Rebuilding Mavic Wheels?

Old September 30th 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

Default Rebuilding Mavic Wheels?

A buddy just gave me a rear hub and spokes from a Mavic Kryserium wheel
he took apart because the rim was cracked. I am not sure of the model at
this point. But the hub is 24 spoke, uses 2X straight pull bladed spokes
on each side, and seems in fine condition.

So the question is is it possible to rebuild this hub into a wheel? If
so, how to compute the appropriate spoke length to fit another rim? I
have used spokecalc on normal wheel building jobs. But this hub is not
normal looking and I have no experience with straight full spokes.
Old September 30th 11, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 30, 12:21*pm, David White wrote:
A buddy just gave me a rear hub and spokes from a Mavic Kryserium wheel
he took apart because the rim was cracked. I am not sure of the model at
this point. But the hub is 24 spoke, uses 2X straight pull bladed spokes
on each side, and seems in fine condition.

So the question is is it possible to rebuild this hub into a wheel? If
so, how to compute the appropriate spoke length to fit another rim? I
have used spokecalc on normal wheel building jobs. But this hub is not
normal looking and I have no experience with straight full spokes.

You can get a Mavic replacement rim that's just as brittle for $100.
Or you can build a wheel on a Tiagra hub for about the same amount of
bux that will be bombproof.
Old September 30th 11, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

landotter wrote:
On Sep 30, 12:21 pm, David White wrote:
A buddy just gave me a rear hub and spokes from a Mavic Kryserium wheel
he took apart because the rim was cracked. I am not sure of the model at
this point. But the hub is 24 spoke, uses 2X straight pull bladed spokes
on each side, and seems in fine condition.

So the question is is it possible to rebuild this hub into a wheel? If
so, how to compute the appropriate spoke length to fit another rim? I
have used spokecalc on normal wheel building jobs. But this hub is not
normal looking and I have no experience with straight full spokes.

You can get a Mavic replacement rim that's just as brittle for $100.
Or you can build a wheel on a Tiagra hub for about the same amount of
bux that will be bombproof.

Thanks but:

(a) This has to be for Campy cassettes.

(b) I would avoid more Mavic rims it at all possible. I have had cracks
or worse with MA-40 and a couple of the "Open-X" rims. I was actually
thinking about a Velocity Aerohead or something like that.

(c) This is something of an experiment so just building a standard wheel
would kind of miss my point. Not that there is something wrong with a
standard wheel. I have just already built many of those and this would
be something new.

So the questions remain:

1. Any rim suggestions for use with these hubs?

2. How to compute required spoke length given that these are straight
pull spokes and the "flanges" are not like any other hub flange I have
worked with before. I suppose if I could find a rim with the same ERD
and reuse the old spokes, I could just go ahead. But I am not sanguine
about reusing spokes in the best of circumstances and I would be even
less sanguine about reusing bladed spokes.

3. Any reason to prefer a bladed spoke to a round one (or vis-a-vis)?

Thanks.
Old September 30th 11, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

landotter wrote:
On Sep 30, 12:21 pm, David White wrote:
A buddy just gave me a rear hub and spokes from a Mavic Kryserium wheel
he took apart because the rim was cracked. I am not sure of the model at
this point. But the hub is 24 spoke, uses 2X straight pull bladed spokes
on each side, and seems in fine condition.

So the question is is it possible to rebuild this hub into a wheel? If
so, how to compute the appropriate spoke length to fit another rim? I
have used spokecalc on normal wheel building jobs. But this hub is not
normal looking and I have no experience with straight full spokes.

You can get a Mavic replacement rim that's just as brittle for $100.
Or you can build a wheel on a Tiagra hub for about the same amount of
bux that will be bombproof.

Oh, that's no help; you are just being rational.
The subject is Mavic Ksyrium.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old October 1st 11, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"David White" wrote in message
A buddy just gave me a rear hub and spokes from a Mavic Kryserium wheel
he took apart because the rim was cracked. I am not sure of the model
at this point. But the hub is 24 spoke, uses 2X straight pull bladed
spokes on each side, and seems in fine condition.

So the question is is it possible to rebuild this hub into a wheel? If
so, how to compute the appropriate spoke length to fit another rim? I
have used spokecalc on normal wheel building jobs. But this hub is not
normal looking and I have no experience with straight full spokes.

The only rims you can lace up to those hubs would be more Mavics, and
just like the last ones, they'll likely crack. 24 spokes is simply too
few to build a bomb-proof wheel. The difference in durability between 24
& 28 spokes is astounding. Thankfully, the industry's infatuation with
sexy-looking low-spoke-count wheels seems to be ending.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old October 1st 11, 05:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Sep 30, 6:21*pm, David White wrote:
A buddy just gave me a rear hub and spokes from a Mavic Kryserium wheel
he took apart because the rim was cracked. I am not sure of the model at
this point. But the hub is 24 spoke, uses 2X straight pull bladed spokes
on each side, and seems in fine condition.

So the question is is it possible to rebuild this hub into a wheel? If
so, how to compute the appropriate spoke length to fit another rim? I
have used spokecalc on normal wheel building jobs. But this hub is not
normal looking and I have no experience with straight full spokes.

Good luck on finding an economical ource of unfinished spokes to go
with your wonky hub. Personally I'd just look for a rim to fit the
spokes you have.
Old October 1st 11, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Nice! Free hub for a fun project.

Hubs something like these?
http://www.mavic.com/en/product/whee...Ksyrium-Equipe

You can use spocalc to calculate a length if you can estimate the number of crosses as a decimal. If the spoke heads were evenly spaced around the hub circumference (flange just doesn't seem like the right work if the hub is like Mavic's I've seen), then entering the integer number of crosses would be correct for calculating spoke length.

But with straight pull spokes anchored in shared CNC pockets, the heads probably aren't evenly spaced. So guess a decimal: 2.8 cross? What's it look like to you?

Have fun!

C-Record headset & wheels, other Campy wheels, XT/Mavic mtb wheels,Cannondale frame... zip27514 Marketplace 0 July 2nd 08 05:24 AM
FS: Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels, Mavic Cosmic Carbone wheels Three Fire Marketplace 0 November 16th 05 04:36 PM
Mavic Wheels Pippen Techniques 1 March 3rd 05 01:53 PM
Mavic Tubular Helium & Mavic Open Pro wheels, Tires on Ebay [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 8th 04 03:58 AM
Trade: Mavic GP4 tubular wheels w/ Dura-Ace hubs for clincher wheels Praveen Srinivasan Marketplace 0 August 10th 03 10:20 AM