Noise from rear wheel

Old March 30th 08, 11:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Clayton Lee

Default Noise from rear wheel

I ride a Felt road bike with a 105 9 speed groupset, and A-Class rear
hub.

I have recently noticed a new noise coming from the rear - it it like
a loudish click coming from the rear wheel.

It can happen if I am pedalling or freewheeling, but does not happen
all the time. If I get out of the saddle and put most of my weight on
the handlebars the noise stops, when I bring the weight back over the
rear it will start again.

By looking at the logo on the hub, the noise seems to happen once per
revoloution of the wheel, at the same point each rotation.

I know this might be too broad a description, just looking to see if
anyone has any easy description before I take it to the bikeshop - you
know the noise always stops as soon as someone else gets on your bike.

Clayton
Old March 30th 08, 11:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

Clayton Lee wrote:
I ride a Felt road bike with a 105 9 speed groupset, and A-Class rear
hub.

I have recently noticed a new noise coming from the rear - it it like
a loudish click coming from the rear wheel.

It can happen if I am pedalling or freewheeling, but does not happen
all the time. If I get out of the saddle and put most of my weight on
the handlebars the noise stops, when I bring the weight back over the
rear it will start again.

By looking at the logo on the hub, the noise seems to happen once per
revoloution of the wheel, at the same point each rotation.

I know this might be too broad a description, just looking to see if
anyone has any easy description before I take it to the bikeshop - you
know the noise always stops as soon as someone else gets on your bike.

Clayton

So is there any play in the rear hub?
If you completely release the rear brake does it still happen?
If you put the bicycle on a stand (or stand it upside down) and turn the
pedals does it still happen?
Old March 31st 08, 02:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

Clayton Lee wrote:
I ride a Felt road bike with a 105 9 speed groupset, and A-Class rear
hub.

I have recently noticed a new noise coming from the rear - it it like
a loudish click coming from the rear wheel.

It can happen if I am pedalling or freewheeling, but does not happen
all the time. If I get out of the saddle and put most of my weight on
the handlebars the noise stops, when I bring the weight back over the
rear it will start again.

By looking at the logo on the hub, the noise seems to happen once per
revoloution of the wheel, at the same point each rotation.

I know this might be too broad a description, just looking to see if
anyone has any easy description before I take it to the bikeshop - you
know the noise always stops as soon as someone else gets on your bike.

Clayton

Could also be damaged bearings, cones, cups (not sure what an A-Class
hub is made up of??). Take the wheel off and spin it while holding
between your fingers. There's no load under these conditions so the
sound may not occur, but it's an easy test. Check for excessive play or
binding in the hub and tighten or loosen or even rebuild the hub if
necessary. While you're at it check if the wheel is out of true... this
might be a hint if it is one of your spokes. Also check your freehub
doesn't have too much play. I have the same group set on my machine but
it's on an R550 hub. The freehub has a little play which means the
cassette wobbles ever so slightly, especially on the smallest cog. It's
annoying but I've learned to live with it!

Bean
Old March 31st 08, 03:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
531Aussie[_25_]

yeah, it could be a lot of things.

Check the cassette lock-ring. They can come loose

--
531Aussie