Lake Tahoe

Old June 30th 05, 02:11 PM
mike

Default Lake Tahoe

I'll be in South Lake Tahoe in a few weeks and would to ride around the
lake, (72 miles I believe).

Is the route a no brainer? How much climbing? Any advice?

Mike

Old June 30th 05, 06:20 PM

mike wrote:
I'll be in South Lake Tahoe in a few weeks and would to ride around the
lake, (72 miles I believe).

Is the route a no brainer? How much climbing? Any advice?

Mike

Others can tell you how much of a no-brainer it is. I've only done it
once. The traffic is heavy in places and it wasn't that much fun. The
climbing isn't bad.

Heading south into Alpine county and/or east from there into Nevada on
Hiway 88 is a much better option, IMO.

You may try googling this in the various bicycle discussion groups. It
has been discussed before.

If you are into mountain biking the Tahoe Rim Trail is superb.

I love Lake Tahoe. I wish I were there with you,
Tom

Old June 30th 05, 08:58 PM

No-brainer. Will you go clockwise, or counter? The section of US 50
from where NV 28 joins it to Zephyr Cove is a bit hairy at times with
traffic, as is the section through the strip in South Lake - watch out
for gamblers with their buckets of coins darting out in front of you.
The other spot for caution is near Emerald Bay, esp at the pull-outs as
the tourists try to dodge in for a quick picture.

Do not remember the figure on climbing, but it is not that much.

- rick

Old June 30th 05, 09:15 PM
John Sontag

Mike,

I am planning on doing the same ride in September. The info I have is that
there is approximately 2,600 vertical feet of elevation gain, with altitudes
ranging from 6,300 feet to 7,100 feet above sea level.
I have done this ride twice in the past and it is great.
Enjoy.

John

Old June 30th 05, 10:05 PM

In article .com,
wrote:
No-brainer. Will you go clockwise, or counter?

Clockwise has less cross traffic.
Old July 1st 05, 12:28 AM

The info I have is that there is approximately 2,600 vertical feet of elevation gain, with
altitudes ranging from 6,300 feet to 7,100 feet above sea level.

Like I said, not that much ;-)

As a point of reference, my vacation last year included the Dolomites
and some of the Italian and Swiss Alps. This year it was the Pyrenees.
2600'? Cakewalk!

It is a great ride, but oh so much better in May or Sep than it is in
July.

- rick

Old July 1st 05, 12:40 AM

In article . com,
wrote:
As a point of reference, my vacation last year included the Dolomites
and some of the Italian and Swiss Alps. This year it was the Pyrenees.
2600'? Cakewalk!

2600' spread over 70 miles is less than 40 feet per mile.
That's flat to rolling in my book. There are a couple of hills,
but they aren't very steep.
Old July 1st 05, 02:16 AM
Al Sharff

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 06:11:47 -0700, "mike"
wrote:

I'll be in South Lake Tahoe in a few weeks and would to ride around the
lake, (72 miles I believe).

Is the route a no brainer? Any advice?

Mike,

Ride clockwise which takes you to Camp Richardson, Emerald Bay, Tahoe
City, Kings Beach, Incline Village, Spooner Summit. This puts you on
the lake side of the road so you can enjoy the views when you're not
paying attention to traffic.

There are some steep switchbacks between Camp Richardson and Emerald
Bay but there are only thee or four to deal with.

There is a bike trail from Tahoe City (starts just past the Safeway
parking lot) to the top of Dollar Point Hill. The climb up the hill
is a short grind.

From Stateline on the north shore the road descends and is narrow.
Take the lane- there's no room for a car to pass safely and the
drivers can be idiots.

Look for Lake Shore Drive - It's a turn to the right that takes you
off the main road and allows you to by pass Incline Village.

There's no water stop between Incline Village and the south Shore
area.

The east shore of the lake is the prettiest and is the longest climb.
Nothing steep and no surprises.

At Spooner Summit you have a long descent - watch out for the drain
grates.

After the descent you'll ride a series of rollers as you come back to
South Shore, again watch out for the drain grates.

And as others have said, there's better road riding to be had climbing
the routes the Death Ride uses. Surf their web site for ideas, but
you will do some climbing.

Al Sharff