paging Carla

Old March 16th 04, 03:25 PM
kantspel

Default paging Carla

I've been considering getting a RM Slayer and came across a post where
you recommend against it. What's the story?

Old March 16th 04, 03:48 PM
Carla A-G

"kantspel" wrote in message
I've been considering getting a RM Slayer and came across a post where
you recommend against it. What's the story?

RM's are known for having pivot problems on their FS bikes. Jim rode one for
a couple of years and after having plenty of problems with the pivots and no
resolution or help from RM, we got rid of the headache bike. I also know of
others who also had the same problem with their RM's. Their hardtails,
however, are still good.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old March 16th 04, 05:04 PM
kantspel

Carla A-G wrote:

"kantspel" wrote in message

I've been considering getting a RM Slayer and came across a post where
you recommend against it. What's the story?

RM's are known for having pivot problems on their FS bikes. Jim rode one for
a couple of years and after having plenty of problems with the pivots and no
resolution or help from RM, we got rid of the headache bike. I also know of
others who also had the same problem with their RM's. Their hardtails,
however, are still good.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Thanks for that. I havn't heard of the pivot problems, what kind of
issues did he have? I've known a few RM FS owners that didn't have any
pivot issues, I guess there's a little more research to do.

Old March 16th 04, 05:28 PM
Carla A-G

"kantspel" wrote in message
Carla A-G wrote:

"kantspel" wrote in message

I've been considering getting a RM Slayer and came across a post where
you recommend against it. What's the story?

RM's are known for having pivot problems on their FS bikes. Jim rode one

for
a couple of years and after having plenty of problems with the pivots

and no
resolution or help from RM, we got rid of the headache bike. I also know

of
others who also had the same problem with their RM's. Their hardtails,
however, are still good.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Thanks for that. I havn't heard of the pivot problems, what kind of
issues did he have? I've known a few RM FS owners that didn't have any
pivot issues, I guess there's a little more research to do.

The bike was the Instinct. The pivots had bushings (stocking the bike with
cheap bushings!) and not bearings. The pivots and bushings had slop and the
bike sounded like a squealing pig everytime he pedalled or went over a bump.
He also had problems with the bottom bracket pivot, the bolt kept backing
out, at one point, the whole rear triangle almost broke off when the bolt
came loose. We had to leave the bike at the LBS to see what he could do
about it. If I can remember correctly, he wound up contacting RM and getting
a tool and he reamed out the pivot point. After replacing the pivots and
attempting to correct the problem with the constantly backing out bolt, the
bike continued to provide the same problems. We contacted RM and spoke to
their reps on numerous occasions, they weren't too inclined to help with
correcting the problem or replacing the frame. Someone offered to take the
bike off our hands so we accepted and got rid of it.

Apparently, they are still stocking many of their FS bikes with the cheap
bushings. Big mistake, IMO...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old March 16th 04, 05:49 PM
kantspel

Apparently, they are still stocking many of their FS bikes with the cheap
bushings. Big mistake, IMO...

Wasn't there a thread about that the other day...

I'm pretty sure the Slayer swings on bearings so that makes me feel a
little better. I havn't heard the best things about their service
though, so that worries me a bit, especially since the nearest dealer is
two hours away.

Thanks Carla