I miss Jobst

Old April 12th 11, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default I miss Jobst

On Apr 12, 8:52*am, Chalo wrote:
thirty-six wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

It's all steel, right?

Just like all whisky's the same, to the uknowing.

Some things are best when you make your own.

How do you decide when the take should start?
Old April 12th 11, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Milliken

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011, kolldata wrote:

I heard JB bought a Moulton

On the off chance you are serious, I'd be happy to sell him the unique 17"
(32-369) sized tires used on the AM and Bridgestone Moulton models. Or any
other parts he might need -- most AM series parts are avalable back to the
original AM7 and AM2 models from 1983. Many of the parts look similar, but
have been improved in various subtle ways.
[Disclaimer--AM and NS dealer since mid-1980s]
-- Doug
douglas.millikem at gmail.com

Old April 12th 11, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Chalo wrote:
an O wrote:
:
: Would you pay more to a seller who stocks only first-quality and will
: do the right thing? Â*(I do.) Â*How about just to support a merchant
: that you like. Â*Buy local worth anything?

:Service is inherently local. Goods never are (for the purposes of
:this discussion).

Really? When I solve some clients problem two mintues after they tell
me they've got one (or, often, before they know they had a problem),
does it matter that weren't not in the same zip code, state, time
zone, country, or continent? It's not "service" if we aren't?

What about getting my computer fixed? A box appears at my door step,
I put the broken machine in it, it disappears, and a fixed one
reappears. That's not local.

--
sig 26
Old April 12th 11, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Chalo wrote:

:I used to pay a surcharge for American made goods, like shoes and
:housewares. Now they are scarcely to be found at any price.

Nonsense. Maybe not if you insist on shopping at China-mart, but both
those are made in the USA. Certain classes of electronics aren't made
in the US, sure, but just about everything else is.

--
sig 27
Old April 12th 11, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

David Scheidt wrote:

Chalo wrote:
:
an O wrote:
:
: Would you pay more to a seller who stocks only first-quality and will
: do the right thing? *(I do.) *How about just to support a merchant
: that you like. *Buy local worth anything?
:
:Service is inherently local. *Goods never are (for the purposes of
:this discussion).

Really? *When I solve some clients problem two mintues after they tell
me they've got one (or, often, before they know they had a problem),
does it matter that weren't not in the same zip code, state, time
zone, country, or continent? *It's not "service" if we aren't? *

What about getting my computer fixed? *A box appears at my door step,
I put the broken machine in it, it disappears, and a fixed one
reappears. *That's not local. *

I guess you send your bike to Trek to have the wheels trued?

For the purposes of this discussion (which I stipulated), I was
talking about bike service. While there are certainly places you can
ship your bike to have it serviced and then shipped back to you,
that's probably at least as uncommon and inappropriate as fresh cooked
food by mail. And I think we can agree that cooking fresh food is an
inherently local activity.

Exceptions only demonstrate that there is an opposite general
principle. Like, technically speaking, there are local bike
manufacturers all over the country. But it does not take much
evaluation of the bike market to see that as a general, almost
absolute rule, bicycles and their related products are not produced in
the local area where they are consumed.

Chalo
Old April 12th 11, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

thirty-six wrote:

Chalo wrote:

thirty-six wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

It's all steel, right?

Just like all whisky's the same, to the uknowing.

Some things are best when you make your own.

How do you decide when the take should start?

When you can no longer smell Super Elastic Bubble Plastic, of
course.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/b9owner/4190592645/

Chalo
Old April 12th 11, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 4/12/2011 2:00 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
wrote:

:I used to pay a surcharge for American made goods, like shoes and
:housewares. Now they are scarcely to be found at any price.

Nonsense. Maybe not if you insist on shopping at China-mart, but both
those are made in the USA. Certain classes of electronics aren't made
in the US, sure, but just about everything else is.

I don't shop at China-Mart but a lot of goods that were US made
no longer are.

Was very bummed to see that Rockports are now made in China. You can
tell as soon as you put them on.

Long while since Levis were made in US.

Old April 12th 11, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Chalo wrote:
Dan O wrote:
Would you pay more to a seller who stocks only first-quality and will
do the right thing? (I do.) How about just to support a merchant
that you like. Buy local worth anything?

Service is inherently local. Goods never are (for the purposes of
this discussion).

Even Portlanders who smugly buy Chris King products because they are
"local" ignore the fact that Chris King relocated from Northern
California to dodge taxes and labor protection laws. How righteous is
that? L.H. Thomson is an Ayn-Randroid bloviating butthole. Should
Tennesseeans be proud to "buy local" from a social Darwinist
dicktard?

Business is business. Until the people get a handle on their
overseers, the best route is to buy super cheaply when you're not
verifiably putting money directly into a worker's hand.

Mr Thomson, who I was proud to call a friend, is dead.

He was determined to make quality products in USA and was,
in my opinion, very successful at that.

What's next, carping that Enrico Fermi never worked the line
at a soup kitchen? Sheesh, in a world full of chiseling
parasites who make nothing useful, you chose Thomson as a
target?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 12th 11, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

: wrote:
:
: :I used to pay a surcharge for American made goods, like shoes and
: :housewares. Now they are scarcely to be found at any price.
:
: Nonsense. Maybe not if you insist on shopping at China-mart, but both
: those are made in the USA. Certain classes of electronics aren't made
: in the US, sure, but just about everything else is.
:

:I don't shop at China-Mart but a lot of goods that were US made
:no longer are.

Oh, sure. But the claim that "goods of type X are no longer made in
the US" because a particular brand isn't made in the US anymore is
nonsense. I don't know if anyone makes cycling shoes in teh US (I
doubt it, it's a trivially small market), but all sorts of shoes are
made in the US, from running shoes to dress shoes to work boots. (I
saw an interesting thing on the amount americans spent on shoes. I
forget the details, but the jist of it was 'in 1970 americans spent 3%
of their income on shoes, and bought about 2 pairs a year. in 2000,
they spent 1%, and bought 15. )

--
sig 112
Old April 12th 11, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Chalo wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
It's all steel, right?

Just like all whisky's the same, to the uknowing.

Some things are best when you make your own.

Mao tried that 'home forge' program.

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...ap_forward.htm

Jobst Phil H Techniques 83 July 13th 11 12:53 AM
Jobst- we mightl never know Cicero Venatio Racing 8 February 12th 11 08:23 AM
When Jobst ... Steve Freides[_2_] Techniques 1 January 20th 11 09:28 PM
Jobst Brad Anders Racing 20 January 19th 11 05:31 PM
Jobst TriGuru55x11 Rides 1 January 19th 11 01:13 PM