Cyclists threatened with fines

Old February 15th 12, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.transport
Mr. Benn[_9_]

Default Cyclists threatened with fines

POLICE have warned cyclists they could face a £30 fine if they are caught
riding in pedestrian zones.

Congleton officers have been working to tackle issues highlighted by the
community.

One of the concerns raised with neighbourhood officers was over cyclists
riding on pedestrian areas of Congleton; and police say they will now get
tough with anyone spotted.

PCSO Carol Holmes said: "We have been patrolling and asking people to
dismount when going through pedestrianised areas. Most cyclists have
respected that and realise cycling in pedestrian areas is causing a nuisance
for shoppers, particularly the elderly.

"It is not permitted and we can issue fines. We are simply asking people to
dismount and push their bikes at the moment, but anyone who continues to
cycle will be issued with a £30 fixed penalty notice."

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk...ail/story.html

Old February 15th 12, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default London flashride next Wednesday on eve of Parliamentary cycling debate

QUOTE:
A flashride will take place next Wednesday evening from The Mall to
the Houses of Parliament, on the eve of a three-hour debate there on
cycling, partly inspired in reaction to the Cities Fit For Cycling
campaign from The Times newspaper. One of its aims is to highlight to
MPs that the debate should not just be about the safety of cyclists,
but focus also on the wider issues involved.

The marshalled ride, which has the support of the London Cycling
Campaign, is being co-ordinated a number of people active in
campaigning on cycling issues in the capital, including bloggers Danny
Williams of Cyclists in the City and Mark Ames of I Bike London.

On his blog, Williams says: “We'll head down the Mall, along
Horseguards Parade, around Parliament Square to Lambeth Bridge, along
the south to Westminster Bridge, back round Parliament Square up
Whitehall to Trafalgar Square, through Admiralty Arch back to the
steps. Please join us.

“It's not a protest. It's not even about 'safer cycling' per se. It's
a polite but forceful request to our MPs and to the Mayor to listen to
and think about the bigger pictu to make our cities places in which
we can live and get around more easily and healthily for all of us.
And to encourage MPs to attend the debate taking place the next day.

“We need our Mayor and our MPs to realise the bigger picture and start
asking why our cities can't be more liveable for all of us. Cycling is
just one part of that but a significant one.”

The flashride next Wednesday, 22 February, meets at 6.15pm at the Duke
of York’s Steps on The Mall for a 6.30pm departure.

http://road.cc/content/news/52676-lo...cycling-debate

--
Simon Mason

Old February 15th 12, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.transport
Norman Wells[_11_]

Mr. Benn wrote:
POLICE have warned cyclists they could face a £30 fine if they are
caught riding in pedestrian zones.

Congleton officers have been working to tackle issues highlighted by
the community.

One of the concerns raised with neighbourhood officers was over
cyclists riding on pedestrian areas of Congleton; and police say they
will now get tough with anyone spotted.

PCSO Carol Holmes said: "We have been patrolling and asking people to
dismount when going through pedestrianised areas. Most cyclists have
respected that and realise cycling in pedestrian areas is causing a
nuisance for shoppers, particularly the elderly.

"It is not permitted and we can issue fines. We are simply asking
people to dismount and push their bikes at the moment, but anyone who
continues to cycle will be issued with a £30 fixed penalty notice."

Yet another case then of cyclist criminals terrorising the vulnerable
with their bicycle weapons and the police allowing them to get away with
it.

It's high time it was clamped down on.

Don't you agree, Doug?

Old February 15th 12, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Feb 15, 1:51*pm, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

http://road.cc/content/news/52676-lo...-wednesday-eve...

Is either Bertie or Doug going to this one?

--
Simon Mason
Old February 15th 12, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 06:15:01 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

[...]

Highly unlikely in my case.
Old February 15th 12, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.transport
Deux

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:48:53 +0000, Mr. Benn wrote:

PCSO Carol Holmes said: "We have been patrolling and asking people to
dismount when going through pedestrianised areas. Most cyclists have
respected that and realise cycling in pedestrian areas is causing a
nuisance for shoppers, particularly the elderly.

Is Birmingham City Centre (ie. the area near the Bullring) a
pedestrianised area? Because I've seen the police riding bikes
through there.
Old February 15th 12, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.transport
jnugent

On 15/02/2012 18:19, Deux wrote:

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:48:53 +0000, Mr. Benn wrote:

PCSO Carol Holmes said: "We have been patrolling and asking people to
dismount when going through pedestrianised areas. Most cyclists have
respected that and realise cycling in pedestrian areas is causing a
nuisance for shoppers, particularly the elderly.

Is Birmingham City Centre (ie. the area near the Bullring) a
pedestrianised area? Because I've seen the police riding bikes
through there.

For obvious reasons, vehicles being used by the emergency services (and the
armed forces on occasion) are not subject to the restrictions applied to the
general public.

Old February 16th 12, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Highly unlikely in my case.- Hide quoted text -

Oh well, never mind.
Maybe Doug will represent urc at the event - he usually does .

--
Simon Mason