More fines for law-breaking cyclists

Old March 8th 12, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mr Benn[_4_]

Default More fines for law-breaking cyclists

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk...ail/story.html

POLICE have warned cyclists they could face a £30 fine if they are caught
riding in pedestrian zones.

Congleton officers have been working to tackle issues highlighted by the
community.

One of the concerns raised with neighbourhood officers was over cyclists
riding on pedestrian areas of Congleton; and police say they will now get
tough with anyone spotted.

PCSO Carol Holmes said: "We have been patrolling and asking people to
dismount when going through pedestrianised areas. Most cyclists have
respected that and realise cycling in pedestrian areas is causing a nuisance
for shoppers, particularly the elderly.

"It is not permitted and we can issue fines. We are simply asking people to
dismount and push their bikes at the moment, but anyone who continues to
cycle will be issued with a £30 fixed penalty notice."

Old March 8th 12, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal

Default Cycle campaigners petition Women's Institute to reject compulsorycycle helmet resolution

QUOTE:
A petition has been launched by the Cycling Embassy of Great Britain
and three cycling bloggers urging the National Federation of Women’s
Instititutes (NFWI) not to adopt a resolution calling for compulsory
helmet laws to be brought in for cyclists as one of its key campaigns.

The proposal is among six currently being put to the NFWI’s 210,000
members and reads: “The NFWI urges Her Majesty's Government to make
the wearing of helmets when cycling a legal requirement.”

It is due to be voted upon at the NFWI’s Annual General Meeting at the
Royal Albert Hall in May next year and if adopted will become one of
its key campaigning issues in the years ahead. This year, 98 per cent
of NFWI delegates voted to adopt a resolution opposing the closure of
public libraries.

The NFWI has published Briefing Notes that set out the background to
the issues and aim to outline the arguments for and against each of
the proposed resolutions, although in the case of cycle helmets, there
are some inaccuracies; even the most vocal supporters of compulsion
would be hard pressed to back up the assertion that “compulsory helmet
wearing may encourage more people to take up cycling.”

Putting forward the arguments against the resolution, the NFWI says
that “It could look at compulsory helmet wearing as part of a drive to
improve road safety and training for cyclists to increase safety for
cyclists and encourage more people to feel confident to take up
cycling” – while the wider call for improvements to safety is to be
welcomed, it should be noted that mandatory helmet use still features
within that.

The Cycling Embassy of Great Britain, supported by the blogs I Bike
London, Cyclists in the City and This Big City, has written to the
NFWI asking it to reject the mandatory helmet laws proposal and to ask
them instead to focus on campaigning for safer streets for all.

The full text of that letter is repeated at the end of this article,
and you can also sign an online petition asking the NFWI to reject
calls for compulsory helmet laws here.

The other five resolutions due to be voted upon next June, following a
year-long debating and consultation process, relate to:

Field study centres and outdoor education;
Airborne litter;
Reducing fuel poverty;
Employment of more midwives; and
Achieving legal status for British Sign Language as an indigenous
minority language in the UK.
Our own position here at road.cc is that we are helmet-neutral – we
won’t tell you that you should wear a helmet while cycling, nor will
we tell you that you should ride without one.

We do believe, however, that you should have the right to choose one
way or the other – a freedom of choice that compulsory helmet laws, by
their very nature, take away.

Letter from the Cycling Embassy of Great Britain, I Bike London,
Cyclists in the City and This Big City addressed to the NFWI:

CONTINUES

http://road.cc/content/news/49565-cy...y-cycle-helmet

--
Simon Mason
Old March 8th 12, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Fredxx[_2_]

On 08/03/2012 09:36, Mr Benn wrote:
[...]

Is a cyclist obliged to give his name and address to the police?
Old March 8th 12, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mr Benn[_5_]

"Fredxx" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, anyone is obliged if asked, even lawbreaking cyclists amazingly.

Old March 8th 12, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Mar 8, 9:40*am, wrote:
QUOTE:
A petition has been launched by the Cycling Embassy of Great Britain
and three cycling bloggers urging the National Federation of Women’s
Instititutes (NFWI) not to adopt a resolution calling for compulsory
helmet laws to be brought in for cyclists as one of its key campaigns.

See - it's not all jam and Jerusalem.
It is my contribution to International Women's Day.

--
Simon Mason
Old March 8th 12, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
jnugent

On 08/03/2012 11:50, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

*Anybody* is, where it is suspected that they have committed an offence. If
they fail to take advantage of the possibility of prosecution by summons, the
only remaining alternative is arrest.

If it were not so, it would never be possible to prosecute a cyclist unless
he chose to co-operate.
Old March 8th 12, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
thirty-six

On Mar 8, 9:36*am, "Mr Benn" wrote:
http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk...yclists/story-...

POLICE have warned cyclists they could face a £30 fine if they are caught
riding in pedestrian zones.

Congleton officers have been working to tackle issues highlighted by the
community.

One of the concerns raised with neighbourhood officers was over cyclists
riding on pedestrian areas of Congleton; and police say they will now get
tough with anyone spotted.

PCSO Carol Holmes said: "We have been patrolling and asking people to
dismount when going through pedestrianised areas. Most cyclists have
respected that and realise cycling in pedestrian areas is causing a nuisance
for shoppers, particularly the elderly.

"It is not permitted and we can issue fines. We are simply asking people to
dismount and push their bikes at the moment, but anyone who continues to
cycle will be issued with a £30 fixed penalty notice."

It doesn't need to be permitted. The police are not supposed to be
there to hand out 'fines' for the local council. Action needs to be
taken by the council for infringement of a byelaw (which in many cases
is invalid for lack of signage) and it needs to go through court to
mean anything and for a fine to placed against an 'offender' of the
said byelaw. When the said PCSO asks for your name, "Don't tell him,
Pyke."
Old March 8th 12, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
thirty-six

On Mar 8, 11:50*am, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

You mean under IDCOPPLAN ? g

Of course, it is just better to avoid the plod as unlawful as their
obstruction to the free passage of a cyclist is on public roads,
there's no getting around, they are going to slow you up should you
ride into them.

Old March 8th 12, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Fredxx[_2_]

On 08/03/2012 16:28, JNugent wrote:
[...]

That's my point. The result would be an arrest, but I didn't think
withholding your name was an offence in itself. A court is likely to
stick to the £30 fine if plead guilty + plus costs of course.