Front bike rack on buses, heavy bikes

Old September 19th 17, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Front bike rack on buses, heavy bikes

On 9/19/2017 7:36 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

Not lawless but police often won't do a thing about property crime. We
pay a ton of taxes but too much goes towards fat pensions and we get
little in return for it.

Last Saturday my daughter called me and was asking whether car insurance
covers broken windows. Well it wasn't her car, it was her clueless
roommate who, despite being told not to leave ANYTHING in her car, went
ahead and left stuff in her car. They stole her bicycle and her clothes
but for some reason left her Macbook. Thieves will break a window to get
two quarters, you leave NOTHING in your car around here. My former
colleague had her old car broken into and they stole the owner's manual.
My daughter said "well she thought because the house is in a good
neighborhood it would be safe." But of course the thieves don't target
bad neighborhoods where there is nothing to steal, of course they target
"good neighborhoods."

The police in big cities are so busy with homicides and other felonies
that they are obviously not going to investigate the theft of a bicycle
light or other part or accessory of a bicycle. We probably don't want to
pay more taxes to hire more police and build more prisons, at $75K per
year per inmate (not including construction costs), to lock up thieves
that steal a bicycle bell, while letting white-collar criminals off
scot-free.

My neighbor was a cop for 25 years. He said that getting police to do
anything about property crime is very difficult. If your car is stolen,
and you have a LojackⓇ, even getting the police to go to where the car
is is damn near impossible. That may be why the insurance discount is
minuscule. I installed a "poor man's LojackⓇ" in my daughter's new car.
It can be tracked by her (or me), and it was only $100, and has no
monthly fees. But with an insurance discount of only $7 every six
months, it would take 8 years to break even.

Don't insult cops because they get a good pension. It's very hard to
recruit cops, and the pension is the big attraction because the salaries
are not great, and it's a risky profession. San Jose tried cutting their
police pensions and it resulted in a huge exodus of cops to other
cities, even though San Jose had higher police salaries. Bad move since
the acquisition and training costs of new cops is high.
Old September 19th 17, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 9/19/2017 8:20 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 07:04:51 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

I hope The Donald does trim the tax code, but I'm certain that as one
solidly in the dwindling middle-class, I'd get slaughtered. I didn't
vote for him, but it looks like all of his tax proposals would totally
sodomize his base.
-- Jay Beattie.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult.

snip

The Republicans' proposal to eliminate the deductions for state and
local income taxes, mortgage interest, and property taxes, would be very
bad for the middle class. Any small cut in federal income tax would be
more than offset by a higher taxable income. As usual with Republican
proposals, the middle class will end up financing tax cuts for the upper
class.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/09/18/republican-tax-cut-eliminate-mortgage-deduction/
Old September 19th 17, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 9/19/2017 7:55 AM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

exactly:
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...529-story.html

The most important issue right now is whether or not "footlong" means
12", or if it's just a marketing phrase that has no actual relation to
the length of a sandwich. Normally I'd go with the latter, since Subway
never claimed that their "footlong" was 12" long. But they do advertise
6 inch subs, which should be 6 inches long, yet they are made with half
of a footlong bun which is not 12" long.

Jay needs to weigh in on this. Also the photos of the sandwiches don't
look anything like what you end up getting.

This is important to me because I eat at Subway once each year, and it
will be tomorrow at Interbike. The only reasonably priced food near the
show is from Subway and McDonald's, across Las Vegas Boulevard.
Old September 19th 17, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-09-19 08:27, sms wrote:
[...]

That's what our parents taught is before we even went to school. Leave
nothing in plain sight in the car, absolutely nothing.

The police in big cities are so busy with homicides and other felonies
that they are obviously not going to investigate the theft of a bicycle
light or other part or accessory of a bicycle. We probably don't want to
pay more taxes to hire more police and build more prisons, at $75K per
year per inmate (not including construction costs), to lock up thieves
that steal a bicycle bell, while letting white-collar criminals off
scot-free.

Unfortunately thieves know that and act accordingly :-(

My neighbor was a cop for 25 years. He said that getting police to do
anything about property crime is very difficult. If your car is stolen,
and you have a LojackⓇ, even getting the police to go to where the car
is is damn near impossible. That may be why the insurance discount is
minuscule. I installed a "poor man's LojackⓇ" in my daughter's new car.
It can be tracked by her (or me), and it was only $100, and has no
monthly fees. ...

You'd also need a gun, for when you find the car.

... But with an insurance discount of only $7 every six
months, it would take 8 years to break even.

Don't insult cops because they get a good pension. It's very hard to
recruit cops, and the pension is the big attraction because the salaries
are not great, and it's a risky profession. San Jose tried cutting their
police pensions and it resulted in a huge exodus of cops to other
cities, even though San Jose had higher police salaries. Bad move since
the acquisition and training costs of new cops is high.

I didn't mean police pensions so much but this kind:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...300k-pensions/

http://californiapolicycenter.org/av...urity-payouts/

Combined with a much earlier retirement age. Is it any wonder that we
have high tax load yet poor police performance, poor school performance,
dilapidated roads et cetera?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 19th 17, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

The topper in the next street was a guy with a fairly old BMW
motorcycle. One morning he came down ... both Bing carburetors gone.
The guy who stole them must have been a BMW lover because he draped
something over the intakes so rain would not enter the cylinders.

Maybe he's planning on coming back for them
Old September 19th 17, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

I hope The Donald does trim the tax code, but I'm certain that as one
solidly in the dwindling middle-class, I'd get slaughtered. I didn't
vote for him, but it looks like all of his tax proposals would totally
sodomize his base.
-- Jay Beattie.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult.

snip

The Republicans' proposal to eliminate the deductions for state and
local income taxes, mortgage interest, and property taxes, would be very
bad for the middle class. Any small cut in federal income tax would be
more than offset by a higher taxable income. As usual with Republican
proposals, the middle class will end up financing tax cuts for the upper
class.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/09/18/republican-tax-cut-eliminate-mortgage-deduction/

At least Trump targeted the carried interest rules -- apparently because he hates hedge fund managers. You have to get on his hate list to have your taxes increased. I guess he hates his believers. He's kind of like the Old Testament God -- but orange.

-- Jay Beattie.