Lobbying by cyclists may yet have an impact on the HTA

Old September 22nd 17, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Lobbying by cyclists may yet have an impact on the HTA

Legislation to beef up penalties under the Highway Traffic
Act is to be proposed in Ontario: http://cyclingmagazine.ca/advocacy/o...bodily-injury/.

We'll see if it has any effect other than to produce tombstone reactions.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old September 22nd 17, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 22/09/2017 9:47 AM, wrote:
Legislation to beef up penalties under the Highway Traffic
Act is to be proposed in Ontario:
http://cyclingmagazine.ca/advocacy/o...bodily-injury/.

We'll see if it has any effect other than to produce tombstone reactions.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

This has been in the news in Montreal. I'm not sure this is going
anywhere. Even if it's implemented it would need to be applied. Quebec
recently raised some of the fines for motorists injuring cyclists. For
example, the fine for dooring a cyclist went from $30 to #300. Last
year a woman opened a door and injured a cyclist. He was not only
injured but his bike was destroyed. The cops didn't ticket her. I
wrote to the police department complaining about this and they replied
that it's up to the discretion of the officer on the scene.

Not only does this woman get off with no fine whatsoever, but as a
result of the driver not being ticketed, the cyclist, who is a bike
messenger, can't get his bike repaired by the driver's liability
insurance. He has to go to small claims court to have his bike repaired.

I asked the police how this could be a question of the officer's
discretion but they replied that that was a decision made by the officer
on the scene and they would not discuss this except with the persons
involved.

So sure, it's a good thing to pass these laws. Maybe the press will
make people think more but unless they're actually implemented the
result will be minimal.

Old September 22nd 17, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/22/2017 9:21 AM, Duane wrote:
On 22/09/2017 9:47 AM, wrote:
[...]

Besides which, despite years of data showing no effective
difference, people continue to claim 'hands free' vs 'thumbs
on' matters.
http://www.channel3000.com/news/poli...ving/624705250

for further inquiry:
https://archive.unews.utah.edu/news_...ng-are-unsafe/

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/07/news...ing/index.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/distrac...mand-features/

http://www.stonelaw.com/Articles/Stu...traction.shtml

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 22nd 17, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 22/09/2017 9:47 AM, wrote:
Legislation to beef up penalties under the Highway Traffic
Act is to be proposed in Ontario:
http://cyclingmagazine.ca/advocacy/o...bodily-injury/.

We'll see if it has any effect other than to produce
tombstone reactions.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

This has been in the news in Montreal.Â* I'm not sure this is
going anywhere.Â* Even if it's implemented it would need to
be applied.Â* Quebec recently raised some of the fines for
motorists injuring cyclists.Â* For example, the fine for
dooring a cyclist went from $30 to #300.Â* Last year a woman
opened a door and injured a cyclist.Â* He was not only
injured but his bike was destroyed.Â* The cops didn't ticket
her.Â* I wrote to the police department complaining about
this and they replied that it's up to the discretion of the
officer on the scene.

Not only does this woman get off with no fine whatsoever,
but as a result of the driver not being ticketed, the
cyclist, who is a bike messenger, can't get his bike
repaired by the driver's liability insurance. He has to go
to small claims court to have his bike repaired.

I asked the police how this could be a question of the
officer's discretion but they replied that that was a
decision made by the officer on the scene and they would not
discuss this except with the persons involved.

So sure, it's a good thing to pass these laws.Â* Maybe the
press will make people think more but unless they're
actually implemented the result will be minimal.

Besides which, despite years of data showing no effective difference,
people continue to claim 'hands free' vs 'thumbs on' matters.
http://www.channel3000.com/news/poli...ving/624705250

for further inquiry:
https://archive.unews.utah.edu/news_...ng-are-unsafe/

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/07/news...ing/index.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/distrac...mand-features/

http://www.stonelaw.com/Articles/Stu...traction.shtml

well I have no sympathy. A guy rear ended me at a stop light a couple
years ago. When I got out and walked up to his car, he was still on the
phone and actually held his hand up telling me to hang on a second as if
to say he was taking a call. The day before I was at the same light at
the same time in the same place on my bike. It would have been much
different then.

we've had cases where the cops catch the driver on the phone and ticket
him. I'm good if they want to throw the book at them. Even if it isn't
any worse than hands free, at least it's provable.
Old September 22nd 17, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On a related topic, Jan 1 2018 Illinois gets revised laws for bicycles. Allowed to use shoulder (if clean enough but not marked as bike lane as currently required). Cars allow to pass in no passing zone if bicycle is doing less than half of the speed limit, they give 3 feet clearance, and don't exceed the speed limit. Lets see how they work then try to spread them to other states. http://www.illinoisbicyclelaw.com/20...bike-laws.html (good bicycle accident lawyer for chicago).
Old September 23rd 17, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 06:47:20 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Legislation to beef up penalties under the Highway Traffic
Act is to be proposed in Ontario:
http://cyclingmagazine.ca/advocacy/o...bodily-injury/.

We'll see if it has any effect other than to produce tombstone reactions.

Given that a number of studies have shown that bicycles are at fault
in a substantial percentage of bicycle-auto collisions, more than half
in one study, and in at least two reports autopsies showed that as
many as 25% of cyclist deaths had excessive BAC, will these new
aggressive penalties apply to cyclists? Or solely to autos?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 23rd 17, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 6:31:35 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 06:47:20 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Legislation to beef up penalties under the Highway Traffic
Act is to be proposed in Ontario:
http://cyclingmagazine.ca/advocacy/o...bodily-injury/.

We'll see if it has any effect other than to produce tombstone reactions.

Given that a number of studies have shown that bicycles are at fault
in a substantial percentage of bicycle-auto collisions, more than half
in one study, and in at least two reports autopsies showed that as
many as 25% of cyclist deaths had excessive BAC, will these new
aggressive penalties apply to cyclists? Or solely to autos?

In San Francisco I would guess that bicycles are at fault in bike/car collisions more than half the time. And the other half are car drivers with road rage from the acts of bicyclists.

When you are polite with drivers they are generally polite back unless they are young punks trying to show off their machismo via automobile or Asian women who simply cannot drive.
Old September 24th 17, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Hey! My wife is an Asian woman and hasn't hit a bicycle in her 25 year
career as an auto pilot :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 26th 17, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

... as far as you know

Nope. She does tell me. She sort of drop kicked a motorcycle through a
stop light once and she told me about that... how else would she
explain that dent in the front bumper?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 26th 17, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:

[...]

.... okay, as far as -SHE- knows.