Front bike rack on buses, heavy bikes

Old September 18th 17, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Front bike rack on buses, heavy bikes

On 9/17/2017 7:09 PM, wrote:
Plate is .25 quality plywood..
Seasoned dry n carefully painted with Rustoleum esp end grain

what, no tuba four?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 18th 17, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 10:25:57 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 12:34:56 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
That would be a no-go for me so I'd have to use my car like I do now.
Especially on an MTB you can't have panniers that are just slung over
the rack. Everything must be bolted and cinched in place or it goes
flying on the trail.

Snipped

That's funny. I use my MTB to tour on really rough dirt roads and trails in Northern Ontario and I've NEVER had to bolt my panniers to the bike rack to keep the panniers from bouncing off. I do use an Arno strap to secure them though. I like to be able to remove my panniers QUICKLY if setting up camp in the rain.

Cheers

Ah but you don't ride in California. It is very different in
California what with the autos swerving off the road when they see a
bicycle with bright lights. Well, except for the poor country folks in
their pickups who may even attack a bicycle.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 18th 17, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/17/2017 10:54 AM, Joerg wrote:
Thinking about doing rides farther away without carting the bike there
in my car. Or riding out farther and using a bus for some of the way
back. Buses out here have racks for two bikes up front, like this:

http://www.sacbike.dreamhosters.com/...us_No_2395.jpg

Unfortunately the top-holding bar goes over the front wheel where the
emergency dynamo is on my road bike instead of over the seat. Ok, I can
remove that dynamo. However, both my road bike and my MTB are
"rear-heavy" with panniers that contain lots of water, tools and such.
Are they still safe in those racks?

I'm sure that for you, they would not be safe.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 18th 17, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 08:04:41 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Ah but you don't ride in California. It is very different in
California what with the autos swerving off the road when they see a
bicycle with bright lights. Well, except for the poor country folks in
their pickups who may even attack a bicycle.

Pickup trucks prefer to attack the bus, not the bicycle:
http://www.theslowlane.org/2011/04/accident-involving-bike-rack-on-bus.html
Notice how the crumpled bicycle rack cushioned the impact thus saving
the bus and bicycle from damage.

If you need to use tools to remove the bicycle, I suggest you do
something to make the bicycle fast and easy to remove:
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/man-killed-trying-to-get-bike-off-detroit-city-bus

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 18th 17, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ply used here was assorted gift scrap ply...leaving what you can find as a local deal. Or order ... Uh Search AB .25 SANDED PLYWOOD.

HD in Naples has a rack, where I live 30 miles north in the slums, does not. Hobbyists.

I used a piece feeling like it was experimental aircraft material.

Do you live near the Klipsch factory ?

Old September 18th 17, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

ah the internet

https://goo.gl/Ftt3bo

I spoke with a recent visitor to the experimental gathering who reported every homebuilt ever made was there n ground crawling with the curious.

I missed it by a few days.

I weep

AVAST THE JIB !
Old September 18th 17, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 08:26:57 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

You're most lkely SOL with nom-removable panniers. I don't
know of any bus transit that allows panniers to be left
on the bicycle.

Sacramento Regional Transit makes no specific mention of removing
panniers but does mention "bags".
https://www.sacrt.com/biking.stm
"Remove water bottles, bags, pumps and other loose items
that could fall off while the bus is in motion."

Santa Cruz METRO adds a few more items:
https://www.scmtd.com/en/riders-guide/bikes-and-buses
"Before the bus arrives, get your bike ready by removing
any oversized equipment, or loose items not permanently
attached, that might impair the Operator’s vision or
fall off the bike."
I guess(tm) that panniers might be considered "oversized equipment".

Old September 18th 17, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Buy 2 seats
Old September 18th 17, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Eg

5 mm 1/4" X 12" X 12" Premium Baltic Birch Plywood – B/BB Grade - 8 Flat Sheets By Woodpeckers

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTAWVV..._0xZVzbSXDM15N

Not aircraft ...brief try at aircraft is air ply is so expensive by the sheet that the seller cuts n sells for the builder...CRC plywood ?