Grouch Marx on a unicycle

Old October 1st 03, 07:47 PM
John Hooten

Default Grouch Marx on a unicycle

For those of you who look for unicycles in the media, "The Big Store"
starring the Marx Brothers, will be on TCM (Turner Classic Movies)
Thursday morning, 9 AM EDT, 6 AM PDT.

There is a scene in "The Big Store" where Groucho's character is being
chased around a department store by the bad guys. Eventually he jumps
onto a bicycle to help get away faster. After a few close calls he
crashes into a wall, the bicycle falls apart and "Groucho" rides away
from the debris on a unicycle. The unicycle riding is done by a stunt
man (perhaps John Foss can tell us who he is.) Just as he crashes into
the wall there are a few frames that show the "bike" that will fall
apart to be one like the old Schwinn "swing" bike. I know there are a
couple other recent versions of these vehicles that have been available
including one that David Stone rode last year on the Today show, or some
other network TV morning show. On this bike the back half is a unicycle,
the front half is a regular front fork, and each part can turn freely on
the frame that connects the two.

"The Big Store" isn't one of the better Marx Brothers movies, but it is
worth watching for the unicycle scene.

John Hooten

Old October 1st 03, 08:09 PM
johnfoss

Joe Mole. Accent on the e in Mole. He was featured in one of the very
first USA Newsletters, and was a professional performer in the 1940s.

I remember the unicycle scene for the fat (balloon) tire and fender on
the unicycle, and the way they made use of the squeaking sound the tire
made whenever he made a turn.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

Old October 2nd 03, 01:06 PM
GILD

John Hooten wrote:
* (perhaps John Foss can tell us who he is.)
John Hooten*

-Original posting times -
* 10-01-2003 09:57 PM
10-01-2003 10:09 PM*

12 minutes?
i'm impressed

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the
silence of our friends.
-- Martin Luther King Jr.

'this will only take a minute...(fixed)'
(http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/actions/un.htm)
'and while u're in a good-deed-doing-mood...'
(http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com.)
'and just one more?pleez?'
(http://http://www.reuniteluna.com/email.php.)
JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

Old October 2nd 03, 05:27 PM
Mandell

GILD wrote:
*
12 minutes?
i'm impressed *

John's in California (same time zone as me). The original posting times
from his perspective a

11:57 AM
12:09 PM

The request came in just before John's lunch break. Now we know how he
spends his lunch time .

--
Mandell - Keen Beginner
Mandell's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3769

unicycle games James_Potter Unicycling 5 December 18th 08 03:46 AM
Unicycle with three wheels??? andrew_carter Marketplace 3 November 18th 03 12:43 AM
WTB: Used Unicycle (26" or 24")... Carl Barrentine Unicycling 14 October 11th 03 10:46 PM
A big day with a big unicycle showard Unicycling 11 September 10th 03 04:51 PM
I Must Have The Best All Purpose Unicycle XWonka Unicycling 16 July 28th 03 03:42 AM