Thieving **??!!s

Old December 7th 03, 10:32 AM
vernon.levy

Default Thieving **??!!s

Went out to get the bikes from the garage a few minute ago for the Sunday
morning ride.

Some thieving toerag has half inched 4 mountain bikes form my garage!
Multiple chains an locks all bolt cropped.

Sadly, the average garage is not a very secure place. The first line of
defence, the doorlocks are all too easily breached by a variety of
means. There are supplementary ground based shackles that can be used
to help secure the up and over doors and the replacement of the standard
pattern sidedoor lock with a five lever mortice lock helps. One inside
thieves are hidden from view and can work at leisure.

At the end of the day, locks only keep out honest people and a
determined thief will negate any security measures that you use.

I hope angainst all hopes, that the thieves are caught.

Old December 7th 03, 10:33 AM
Zog The Undeniable

PK wrote:

Went out to get the bikes from the garage a few minute ago for the Sunday
morning ride.

Some thieving toerag has half inched 4 mountain bikes form my garage!
Multiple chains an locks all bolt cropped.

not a good way to start a Sunday morning!

Should be insured under your house insurance if they were in the garage
(generally you don't need specific bike insurance if they're locked away
at home). New bikes all round!

Old December 7th 03, 10:33 AM
Call me Bob

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 08:44:53 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
wrote:

Went out to get the bikes from the garage a few minute ago for the Sunday
morning ride.

Some thieving toerag has half inched 4 mountain bikes form my garage!
Multiple chains an locks all bolt cropped.

not a good way to start a Sunday morning!

Son of a b%*#$ !!

Commiserations (

Dare I ask if they were insured?
--

"Bob"

Email address is spamtrapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.
Old December 7th 03, 11:50 AM
PK

wrote:

Went out to get the bikes from the garage a few minute ago for the
Sunday morning ride.

Some thieving toerag has half inched 4 mountain bikes form my garage!
Multiple chains an locks all bolt cropped.

not a good way to start a Sunday morning!

Son of a b%*#$ !!

Commiserations (

Dare I ask if they were insured?

yep!

But its a pain in the rump to have to get various family memers round a
bike shop or two to work out what we want as replacements. At least "4 front
sus montain bikes with all the trimmings, please" should get me a decent
discount!

pk

Old December 7th 03, 11:50 AM
AndyP

"PK" wrote

Went out to get the bikes from the garage a few minute ago for the Sunday
morning ride.

Some thieving toerag has half inched 4 mountain bikes form my garage!
Multiple chains an locks all bolt cropped.

not a good way to start a Sunday morning!

Commiserations. The most annoying part when I had the back wheel of my
bike stolen a while ago was that I saw the bloke doing it but didn't realise
it at the time. Locked it up outside a shopping centre, went in, came out
maybe 5 minutes later, glanced over at bike racks before carrying on up the
road to a different shop, saw someone there putting a wheel on a bike,
assumed it was his own rather than mine. People sat at the cafe table 2
metres away didn't notice ofcourse.

Old December 7th 03, 04:23 PM
Zog The Undeniable

vernon.levy wrote:

At the end of the day, locks only keep out honest people and a
determined thief will negate any security measures that you use.

I once read that the definition of a civilised society was that glass
windows were considered sufficient to keep burglars out.

Old December 7th 03, 04:50 PM
JohnB

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

vernon.levy wrote:

At the end of the day, locks only keep out honest people and a
determined thief will negate any security measures that you use.

I once read that the definition of a civilised society was that glass
windows were considered sufficient to keep burglars out.

Does that mean I have to remove the high voltage fence, snarling pit
bull and acid moat around my shed?

John B

Old December 7th 03, 05:42 PM
David Hansen

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 10:32:13 +0000 someone who may be "vernon.levy"
wrote this:-

One inside
thieves are hidden from view and can work at leisure.

Unless they have activated the house alarm, in which case they will
grab what they can and if the bikes are fastened then they may not
have time to take them.

Personally I think this is one situation where land mines are
justified, but the courts would disagree with me. They land mines
would also damage the bikes, so perhaps a suitable electrical
connection to the bike frames would be a better bet.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old December 7th 03, 06:40 PM
Sandy Morton

In article , JohnB wrote:
I once read that the definition of a civilised society was that glass
windows were considered sufficient to keep burglars out.

Does that mean I have to remove the high voltage fence, snarling pit
bull and acid moat around my shed?

I got into trouble with the plod when I electrified the door knob on my
workshop.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Old December 7th 03, 08:02 PM
Dave Kahn

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 18:40:48 +0000 (GMT), Sandy Morton
wrote:

I got into trouble with the plod when I electrified the door knob on my
workshop.

Did you seriously expect not to?

--
Dave...