America's Most Influential Man to Help National Bicycle Greenway

Old June 10th 05, 05:55 AM
Cycle America

Default America's Most Influential Man to Help National Bicycle Greenway

If you listen to the Robert Moses podcast at Bikescape, the San
Francisco based on line radio show, you will hear the subject of the
expose described as a man who had "more to do with how you live now than
any man in history". You see, it was Robert Moses who back in the 50's
and 60's displaced 3/4 of a million New Yorkers and destroyed countless
historic buildings with freeways and the infrastructure that supports
them. And in doing so he set the lead for for the rest of the nation to
follow as the needs of the car far superceded those of the humans who
had to live with them.

Do feel comforted, however, that a new movement is sweeping America. As
cities big and small awaken to the need to make their their roads and
streets friendly to people and not just to internal combustion, more
and more of them are turning to one man who has transformed the very
make up of a city once know only for its motor car speedway. His work
is legendary and just as American civic leaders once flocked to see the
new construction, exhibits and shows held in New York that glorified
the private automobile, they are now flocking to Indianapolis to attend
workshops and symposiums that take their example from a working Greenway
system hundred of miles in length.

What's more is that Ray, as you can hear for yourself in the nterview he
recently did with us, feels the formula he has devised can be replicated
all across the nation with a Greenway network that can be made to pay
for itself. His experience has shown him this can be done by selling
subterranean leases to utilities such as cable, fiber optics, even gas,
water and sewer, A win win situation, letting these companies bury their
infrastructure under Greenway trails that connect to important
destinations throughout the city would give them access to it for a
fraction of what they are currently paying. Ray also feels a real estate
transfer tax that can be applied to those homes that have seen their
value increase more than others simply because of their proximity to
the trail, could also pay for a coast-to-coast Greenway connection.

And when Ray Irvin speaks, people listen. Because*Indy Greenways has
proven so successful at increasing property values, generating income
form a wide variety of sources and raising the quality of life for the
people of Indianapolis, Ray has been asked to document what he has done
in a book. And for this he has turned to the people at Indiana
University who have helped him with the studies and other research that
have helped him get his program to where it presently is.

And if all that's not enough, Ray, a long time fan of our work here at
the National Bicycle Greenway, tells me that he, in no uncertain terms,*
wants to write a chapter for my book, "How America Can Bike And Grow
Rich, The NBG Manifesto" !! And he tells me he will trade me for his
when me and my team ride through there in 2007!!

In other National Bicycle Greenway news, I heavily exhort you to get a
look at the scorecard/schedule we keep for the 2005 Mayors' Ride.

Among all the other excitement that is taking place there, you will see
that we now have:

- Boston's NBG Day photos
- Troy's DC to Pittsburgh C&O canal slide show (hundreds of awesome
pictures)
- Philadelphia's Biking Report Card
- And all the reports and Biking Report Cards for:
Pittsburgh NBG Day
Columbus NBG Day
Cincinnati NBG Day
Indianapolis NBG Day

Too exciting -- too powerful!

THX 4 all of U!!

btw: Due to phone connection problems our interview with Ray Irvin has
intermittent skips in it. And for this I apologize in advance......

Bikescape http://bikescape.blogspot.com
Ray Irvin Podcast
http://www.radio4all.net/pub/files/N...1-0050606-RayI
rvin6-3-05_1.mp3
Indy Greenways http://www.indygreenways.org/
2005 Mayors' Ride http://www.bikeroute.com/NationalMayorsRide2005

--
54% of New York City households do not own cars

M A R T I N K R I E G : "Awake Again" Author
http://www.bikeroute.com/AwakeAgain
Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, '79 & '86 TransAms********
Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor*
Can You Change it with Love?*
N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y
Old June 10th 05, 11:34 PM
Jeremy Parker

"Cycle America" wrote in message
If you listen to the Robert Moses podcast at Bikescape, the San
Francisco based on line radio show, you will hear the subject of

the
expose described as a man who had "more to do with how you live now

than
any man in history". You see, it was Robert Moses who back in the

50's
and 60's displaced 3/4 of a million New Yorkers and destroyed

countless
historic buildings with freeways and the infrastructure that

supports
them.

and who in the 1930s, and up until WW II, built many miles of bike
path in New York City. Go back to those old microfilmed reels of the
New York Times, and every spring you will see an article about how
many miles had been built, and were planned.

He gave the world's oldest bike facility, alongside Ocean Parkway, in
Brooklyn, built in 1895, and still there, one of its renovations.

Jeremy Parker

Old June 13th 05, 05:50 AM
Raphae

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 04:55:41 GMT, Cycle America
wrote:

Because*Indy Greenways has
proven so successful at increasing property values,

Its sad that a movement to do something good for the community always
has to have an appeal to good old greed.

What about inner city kids who will more than likely grow up and never
be able to afford homes in their lives, and who must incessantly
breath in the cancer-causing toxins and suffer the consequent adverse
affects of particulates, nitrous oxides, hydrocarbons, and other
emmisions? I guess that argument doesn't hold a candle to the good
old greed appeal.
Old June 13th 05, 05:51 AM
Raphae

wrote:

Because*Indy Greenways has
proven so successful at increasing property values,

Its sad that a movement to do something good for the community always
has to have an appeal to good old greed.

What about inner city kids who will more than likely grow up and never
be able to afford homes in their lives, and who must incessantly
breath in the cancer-causing toxins and suffer the consequent adverse
affects of particulates, nitrous oxides, hydrocarbons, and other
emmisions? I guess that argument doesn't hold a candle to the good
old greed appeal.

I wonder if we'll ever attain social justice as a consequence of
greed?

Top Gear Driving Song David Martin UK 38 June 1st 05 05:05 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
National Bicycle Greenway Riders Welcomed by Sausalito Cycle America General 0 June 7th 04 07:44 PM